Max Scherzer

rkulaski

Max Scherzer

Post by rkulaski » Sun May 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Originally posted by UFS:

quote:Originally posted by Hitless:

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Captain Hook:

Scherzer is not going to close for AZ (at least not for this year).

if lyon falls and max is in the bullpen, he's the closer. no questions asked.
[/QUOTE]lyon has been rock solid the last 3 weeks. no way owings gets bumped from the rotation. an injury to the unit is best chance for scherzer to stick in the rotation.
[/QUOTE]2-3 outings like his last two and Micah could easily be bumped if Max pitches well. They could easily put Davis is the pen also and claim he's just not ready.
[/QUOTE]micah was coming off the ankle injury and before his last 2 starts, he had 5 quality starts in a row.. good point with davis who i think is more likely to lose his spot than ownings.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

JohnZ

Max Scherzer

Post by JohnZ » Sun May 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Originally posted by Hitless:

micah was coming off the ankle injury and before his last 2 starts, he had 5 quality starts in a row.. good point with davis who i think is more likely to lose his spot than ownings. Micah is certainly at the bottom of the list.

I put Davis on top, then Randy.

Jeff Erickson

Max Scherzer

Post by Jeff Erickson » Sun May 04, 2008 6:40 pm

I've been getting my butt kicked on FAAB bids all season. $451 on Max - not even close. $25 on Olson - not really that close. And I *desperately* need starting help. So my consolation prize is the great Jon Lieber. Sigh...
Get a free 10-day trial at RotoWire:

http://www.rotowire.com/trial

sportsbettingman

Max Scherzer

Post by sportsbettingman » Sun May 04, 2008 6:49 pm

Micah is a winner.

Look over his whole freaking life as a pitcher.

Winner.

You do not demote that to AAA.

Just a thought.

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Windy City Hustler

Max Scherzer

Post by Windy City Hustler » Sun May 04, 2008 8:03 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by UFS:

GG ponies up $605 :D now i'm in money conservation mode THE REST OF THE SEASON [/QUOTE]If Scherzer gets bombed tomorrow GG will claim that his $605 bid was a computer error.

Gordon Gekko

Max Scherzer

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun May 04, 2008 10:53 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Gek - I see you blew most of your FAAB on Max with a 600+. A big moment for your team - ya gotta take risks at times, but I think the odds are against you on this one. i left myself with a number i can manage throughout the season. $1 bids will become my speciality.

until yesterday only 3 of my 13 winning bids were opposed. i'll take my chances getting a player i believe can be a difference maker. AAA numbers were video-game good. MLB numbers were the same. he faces a huge test with the phillies. we'll see if we move on to level 2 of the video game

Gordon Gekko

Max Scherzer

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun May 04, 2008 11:58 pm

Originally posted by Plymouth:

I am gambling he will not be worth the FAAB spent on him today. Which is the better investment of $600?

Max Scherzer (MR) 605

OR

Brandon Wood (3B) 74

Jon Garland (SP) 64

Ray Durham (2B) 63

Scott Hairston (LF) 61

Nick Adenhart (MR) 56

Yadier Molina (C) 42

Brian Burres (SP) 37

Kyle McClellan (MR) 34

Paul Lo Duca (C) 33

Jose Bautista (3B) 31

Dave Bush (SP) 22

Gregor Blanco (LF) 21

Brandon Boggs (LF) 21

Reggie Willits (RF) 21

Brendan Ryan (SS) 14

Hong-Chih Kuo (SP) 13

Total price tag of the top FAAB bids in my league THIS week = $607

if i was bold enough, i'd say the guy i got for $7 is more valuable than all those players put together as well

la Jolla

Max Scherzer

Post by la Jolla » Mon May 05, 2008 1:06 am

davis does not stand a prayer of taking back his spot in the rotation after max k's two dozen this week. based on the bid sizes, I assume most of us watched him pitch vs. houston last week. he was unreal, the hous. hitters looked foolish against him. imo, the only way he busts is if he gets hurt. looks like tonight's game will have a lot of viewers from here pulling both ways. should be fun.

Gordon Gekko

Max Scherzer

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon May 05, 2008 2:12 am

Scott - no chance he gets over 20K's! He's facing two of the best offenses in the NL. He also is limited in innings as well.

Shoot for 12 innings and between 12-15 K's.

bjoak

Max Scherzer

Post by bjoak » Mon May 05, 2008 2:13 am

Originally posted by la Jolla:

davis does not stand a prayer of taking back his spot in the rotation after max k's two dozen this week. based on the bid sizes, I assume most of us watched him pitch vs. houston last week. he was unreal, the hous. hitters looked foolish against him. imo, the only way he busts is if he gets hurt. looks like tonight's game will have a lot of viewers from here pulling both ways. should be fun. I assume two dozen K's is hyperbole. Obviously, the league will adjust to him at least somewhat and he will probably go through a period of struggle like everyone (remember when Felix was unstoppable prior to his 1 and 1/2 year period of struggle?). I agree with your basic points and made them on this thread, but you seem to think you have the greatest pitcher who ever lived; he's just one more possible ace.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

mdz129

Max Scherzer

Post by mdz129 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:15 am

GG,

Max should help you and some of the players picked up this week will help their teams. I'm replacing Tulowitzki with Durham which by the April numbers is a hugh upgrade as was Mora playing for AROD (DL Friday sub). Burres could have a better week than Max and Burres could help that players team more than Max helps you.

Each pickup should have a plan to better each players team by some marginal benefit. It will great to watch Max tonight (I think the Homeplate Umpire has a postage stamp for a strike zone).

Good Luck

Gordon Gekko

Max Scherzer

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon May 05, 2008 2:38 am

Originally posted by mdz129:

GG,

Max should help you and some of the players picked up this week will help their teams. I'm replacing Tulowitzki with Durham which by the April numbers is a hugh upgrade as was Mora playing for AROD (DL Friday sub). Burres could have a better week than Max and Burres could help that players team more than Max helps you.

Each pickup should have a plan to better each players team by some marginal benefit. It will great to watch Max tonight (I think the Homeplate Umpire has a postage stamp for a strike zone).

Good Luck I know every team has it's own needs. I think you need to look to upgrade durham every week. He's a part-time player for the giants no less. He's always had inury issues as well.

Who is the ump tonight?

bjoak

Max Scherzer

Post by bjoak » Mon May 05, 2008 2:44 am

quote:Originally posted by mdz129:

GG,

Good Luck I know every team has it's own needs. I think you need to look to upgrade durham every week. He's a part-time player for the giants no less. He's always had inury issues as well.

Who is the ump tonight?
[/QUOTE]He's just saying the marginal benefits add up when you spread them out across the teams. I think at least 1-2 players from this or any other bidding period are likely to break out. In other words, Max probably won't be worth more than $600 a month from now and while the value of most of the others will drop to $1, you will have some moderate to huge gains, making the lot more valuable than $600.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Chest Rockwell

Max Scherzer

Post by Chest Rockwell » Mon May 05, 2008 2:44 am

couple quick thoughts from a guy who got him in 2 leagues.

1) Hamels was on the most winning teams in 06. You can question Max's contribution, but I do not think you can question if the big price is worth it assuming he throws well.

2) I am the furthest thing from a sheep but it makes me feel a bit better about the risk when I see guys I respect a lot like Andy, Glenn, Mark, Sack, and Eddie went all in on him too.

ToddZ

Max Scherzer

Post by ToddZ » Mon May 05, 2008 2:44 am

We haven't seen the likes of Max Scherzer since way back when Johnny Cueto first came into the bigs, and we won't see the likes of him again until Clayton Kershaw, :rolleyes:
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Chest Rockwell

Max Scherzer

Post by Chest Rockwell » Mon May 05, 2008 2:45 am

Originally posted by ToddZ:

We haven't seen the likes of Max Scherzer since way back when Johnny Cueto first came into the bigs, and we won't see the likes of him again until Clayton Kershaw, :rolleyes: Bad comparison Kershaw is like 100% owned.

Gordon Gekko

Max Scherzer

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon May 05, 2008 2:58 am

Originally posted by ToddZ:

We haven't seen the likes of Max Scherzer since way back when Johnny Cueto first came into the bigs, and we won't see the likes of him again until Clayton Kershaw, :rolleyes: Cueto has nice peripheral numbers. same with scherzer.

Personally I think kershaw will flop this year. Too young. Control problems. May not even get a shot this year. Sell.

The Mighty Men

Max Scherzer

Post by The Mighty Men » Mon May 05, 2008 3:02 am

quote:Originally posted by ToddZ:

We haven't seen the likes of Max Scherzer since way back when Johnny Cueto first came into the bigs, and we won't see the likes of him again until Clayton Kershaw, :rolleyes: Cueto has nice peripheral numbers. same with scherzer.

Personally I think kershaw will flop this year. Too young. Control problems. May not even get a shot this year. Sell.
[/QUOTE]Would you rather have Kershaw or Liriano?
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

ToddZ

Max Scherzer

Post by ToddZ » Mon May 05, 2008 3:03 am

Bad comparison Kershaw is like 100% owned. And Cueto was drafted by like 100% of the main event teams.

The comment was about the infatuation we all have with rookie pitchers, not the % owned in the NFBC.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Lunatic

Max Scherzer

Post by Lunatic » Mon May 05, 2008 3:04 am

I put a bid in for Scherzer and I knew it wouldn't be enough; my pitching numbers are not that bad so I decided not to blow the bank on him; If Marmol can get the closing job in Chicago, that would make my day.
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lunatic

Max Scherzer

Post by Lunatic » Mon May 05, 2008 3:06 am

Gekko: Liriano has a long ways to go before he is back in Minny; I am looking forward to watching him pitch here in Rochester; The guy I am impressed with in regards to his rehab starts is Kevin Slowey; 9 K's in 5 IP last time out; he did give up 2 solo homers, which is his Achilles heel.
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

la Jolla

Max Scherzer

Post by la Jolla » Mon May 05, 2008 3:07 am

Maybe you're right Mark, I may be a bit too optimistic, but he looked so nasty vs. houston that I just envision the likes of Howard, Burrell, Jenkins, Ruiz, Feliz, Moyer getting wrung up multiple times tonight. It will all depend on how many innings Melvin lets him go I guess.

Gordon Gekko

Max Scherzer

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon May 05, 2008 3:16 am

Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

Would you rather have Kershaw or Liriano? neither one excites me. i guess Liriano

Thunder

Max Scherzer

Post by Thunder » Mon May 05, 2008 3:17 am

in my home league last year, i had gallardo stashed away on my reserves a month before he was called up. he lived up to my expectations, i hope max can also.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

Gordon Gekko

Max Scherzer

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon May 05, 2008 3:21 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

He's just saying the marginal benefits add up when you spread them out across the teams. I think at least 1-2 players from this or any other bidding period are likely to break out. In other words, Max probably won't be worth more than $600 a month from now and while the value of most of the others will drop to $1, you will have some moderate to huge gains, making the lot more valuable than $600. i know what's he's saying, but there is only so much help going from a 2008 Kia Rio to a Kia Spectra will provide