Where will the winner come from????

Snord35

Post by Snord35 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:47 pm

Well I don't think it will be anytime soon till I reach the #1 overall ranking but I can say I have the best team so far, that is post all-star break. #1 after one day baby! We'll have see how long that will last. But it has been on my mind where a team has to be in the overall ranking to still have a shot at the grand prize. At the all-star break I was ranked #102 following Thursday's games I jumped up to 77. That has been the biggest jump my team has had since the first month of the season.

At the start of the season I was thinking if a team was in the top 50 or 75 they would still have a shot. But after 3 good weeks (20th,17th,and 50th overall) my team went from 125th to 102nd. After seeing that I changed my mind. I think a team has to be in the top 40 to win this thing.

What do you guys think?

kgrady

Post by kgrady » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:26 pm

I have also thought about this question. As a guess, I would suggest that a team would need to be in the top 50 to still have a decent shot at #1. It really depends upon your team however. Some teams have far greater points potential than others, based upon the talent on their rosters and their positioning in the ten categories.

Let's use my team as an example. Curiously I am ranked 40th as I write this, so I am right at Snord35's estimated cutoff. A month ago I was at 107, so you can move up. How much more upward potential does my team have? Well, that's where I face a real dilemma. I'm in the top 5 in both RBI's and batting average, so the best I can do there is maintain my position. That leaves me eight categories to make up roughly 400 points. Unfortunately, I have no closers, so barring something unexpected, I won't be earning any significant points there. I don't have great team speed, so there's only so much improvement that I can realistically hope for there.

As it stands now, I think that my team is good enough to make a push towards the top 20 and perhaps even my league title. Doing the math, I figure that it is still possible for me to climb all the way to #1, but the odds are pretty long against it.

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:00 pm

Overall winner will be from the top 20 or so. If you are sitting at 30+, you have no chance.