Waiver Wire Gems

ALL-IN JD

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by ALL-IN JD » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:07 am

So now that the season is winding down its time to reflect on those waiver wire pickups that hopefully made the differennce between winning and losing. Last year Ryan Braun was drafted and then dropped one month into the season. I was fortunate enough to pick him up cheaply right before he was called up. Needless to say without him I would not have won. Helping me win this year were Kelly Shoppach(111), Alexi Ramirez(26), and Denard Span (11). Any other owners get some WW bargains that helped put them over the top?

Da bears

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by Da bears » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:12 am

Waiver wire pickups that were essential in winning my main event league title included Cliff Lee, Jayson Werth, Kevin Slowey, and Cody Ross.

I also picked up Ryan Ludwick back in week 2 but waived him a couple of weeks later due to injuries depleting my bench. Of course he goes on to have the season of his life. :(

Oh well I still enjoyed my first year competing in the NFBC main event and look to be even better next year in the overall and the hunt for the $100,000.
-Bauler Shot Caller

RobG

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by RobG » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:01 am

Not going to win first, but I will say that my pitching would have been dead had I not picked up Ryan Dempster in week one.
Rob Giese

NorCalAtlFan

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:40 am

I drafted fake A Ram in one league, so I'm glad he did well. A few guys I picked up in the main that helped were: Shoppach, Aviles and C Davis. Not that they helped as my team is beyond repair:( But I shudder to think where I would have been without them!!!

Next year, I won't draft 3 minor leaguers that clog up my roster for 3 months!!!

eddiejag

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by eddiejag » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 am

IN MY SUPER DRAFT early on got Wellmeyer for 32 runner up bid 31.Fuentes then got the closer joband bid 517 runnerup bid 481.Alexei Rameriz for 5 with MR Dobies in my league very lucky and you can plug him anywhere .Ricky Nolasco for 33 he's been a monster the runnerup bidjust 1 that pissed me off, as i was low on money.Adam Lind for 27 runnerup bid 20 he's been ok.Then Josh Johnson for 4 buck's has been just solid.Very late added Hanrahan and Guzman.

The waiver wire has been a major player for this team which is in 2nd by a 1.5 going into the last week.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Bobby J

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by Bobby J » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am

Cliff Lee is far and away the #1 waiver wire gem of the year, there are others that have done well, but how many free agents can you get in week #2, that get 20 wins for you the rest of the way out. Cost me $43 dollars in week 2 but well worth it
Some Assembly Required

Chest Rockwell

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by Chest Rockwell » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:42 am

Originally posted by Bobby J:

Cliff Lee is far and away the #1 waiver wire gem of the year, there are others that have done well, but how many free agents can you get in week #2, that get 20 wins for you the rest of the way out. Cost me $43 dollars in week 2 but well worth it Bobby- nothing against the guys you are competing against, but I am rooting for you to hold on. You are a good guy and I am rooting for you.

Bobby J

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by Bobby J » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks Kent, I appreciate it, sorry I had to leave you guys in Florida. I missed seeing you guys in Orlando but with free room and board in Tampa, was less expensive to go to Chicago this year
Some Assembly Required

DiamondKing

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by DiamondKing » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:57 am

Bobby J,Great season.Just want everyone to know that you are an honorary minnow.Everybody knows us Florida drafters are minnows.
All pigs are created equal.Some are more equal than others.

eddiejag

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by eddiejag » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:25 pm

hOW ABOUT THE LUCKY few who got Carlos QUENTIN on the waiver wire, the best hitter for sure on the waiver wire, but agree the free agent of the year Cliff Lee.
EDWARD J GILLIS

JEagle

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by JEagle » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:46 pm

how bout Ryan Ludwick .295 102 runs 36 hrs & 108 rbis $31 week 2 doesnt get much better then that
Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I'm bad....but I always try real hard.

sportsbettingman

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:02 pm

How about Lackey tonight!!! OUCH!

After ALL the innings to create your ERA and WHIP...and ONE outing that bad can lose you 3 whole points!!!

Unreal.

Thanks, coach!

~Lance

[ September 26, 2008, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

JohnZ

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by JohnZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:18 pm

Andre Ethier!!!!

Somebody waived him to sign Moises Alou :eek: :eek: ;)

eddiejag

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by eddiejag » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:11 am

Lackey cost a lot of fantasy team's some money after that performance.I never liked his face so stayed away from him in 9 leagues. LOL.
EDWARD J GILLIS

sportsbettingman

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:36 am

Originally posted by JohnZ:

Andre Ethier!!!!

Somebody waived him to sign Moises Alou :eek: :eek: ;) That one stung a bit...until I realized I had no shot in hell in LV3.

Thanks, Johnny Boy!

...and Lackey having a face you want to punch is funny, Eddie!

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

rkulaski

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by rkulaski » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:54 am

In the main event, probably M DeRosa for $32 to shore up our MI spot. Others went for J Nix in week 1 for close to $80 so that was one of our better moves. J Litsch was also a good starter for us at the back or our rotation. Bad news is that 4th place in our league is where we'll finish which is the same as 15th in terms of $.

For the draft: Good late rd picks included A Huff in rd 23 and E Santana rd 21 (went for Ervin and avoided hopping on the Cueto bandwagon).

Worst move in my history of playing in the NFBC:

In 1 of my satellites, I dropped C Quentin after week 1 because of 2 pitching injuries (and I just wasn't sure who else to drop). Not good when you drop the AL MVP. I'll hopefully finish 3rd in that league so all was not lost.

Worst move in the main: Picked up Alexai twice but each time wasn't patient enough to hold onto him and his big second half. It would've been nice to move DeRosa to SS and A Ramirez to 2B and finally DROP E Renteria who was our biggest bust pick in the first 10 rds (got him 9th rd). Never liked him even in the 9th rd, never will draft him again.

[ September 27, 2008, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Hitless ]
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

poopy tooth

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by poopy tooth » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:43 am

In 1350 mixed auction, got Lowe very cheap pretty early, which has helped keep me in running for money...about 8 of us bunched up within 3 ppoints of 3rd...I am 1/2 point back with 2 days to go...

Of course Lowe basically made up for me droppping Lohse early - afterall, Snell was going to have a big year, right? :mad: :D Why drop Snell when you have Lohse to drop???

DAMN YOU RED SOX NATION - WHY DIDN'T YOU OUTBID ME FOR SNELL??? :D

See you guys again in March! Good luck this weekend!

Top Dawg

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by Top Dawg » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:33 am

I got very lucky with both my draft and my waiver wire. I was fortunate enough to draft Lincecum and Volquez and added Dempster off the waiver wire. That's a ton of K's wins and nice ERA. Delgado and Mora did a FANTASTIC job holding down the other corners too, both drafted.

So, on topic, Dempster, Cantu and yes, Christian Guzman were my early gems. To a smaller degree, but still very important to my pending league title, I also added Choo and Gerut to help my outfield overcome late injuries.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

eddiejag

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by eddiejag » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:59 am

Pete one hell of a year anytime you come in the top ten overall thats just awesome.GREAT JOB.
EDWARD J GILLIS

rkulaski

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by rkulaski » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:42 pm

Originally posted by Top Dawg:

I got very lucky with both my draft and my waiver wire. I was fortunate enough to draft Lincecum and Volquez and added Dempster off the waiver wire. That's a ton of K's wins and nice ERA. Delgado and Mora did a FANTASTIC job holding down the other corners too, both drafted.

So, on topic, Dempster, Cantu and yes, Christian Guzman were my early gems. To a smaller degree, but still very important to my pending league title, I also added Choo and Gerut to help my outfield overcome late injuries.

Pete I'm sure Delgado and Mora ended up being great value picks...Dempster off of waivers- wow. I thought I did a good job with Huff and Youkilis at the corners for me too.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Hard Heads

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by Hard Heads » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:55 am

Cliff Lee and Ryan Dempster rank 1 and 1a on our list of Free Agent Gold!

Ian Stewart had his moments. Zeigler did what we needed as did Jensen Lewis. Randy Winn had to be our 3rd best pickup. Jerry Hairston until he became old and fragile was awesome. John Baker and Jorge De La Rosa were solid down the stretch, but our top 2 were Lee and Dempster.

Lee we picked up in week 0 and Dempster week 1 for 41 and 5 respectively.
Hard Heads

Ryan C

Waiver Wire Gems

Post by Ryan C » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:38 am

In my Satellite league which I was lucky enough to win - Jair Jurrjens (week 1), Chris Ianetta (5/11), Alexei Ramirez (6/08)and Chris Davis (6/29) all were key pickups that helped pave the way.

I also had the 7th pick - and my internet locked up and I missed my picked, and got "stuck" with Pujols - wonder how many other league champs had King Albert on their rosters??

For a refresher - I was the guy who won Gordon Geckko's contest earlier in the season - while this was not the contest team (that team faded to 3rd place) I am very excited about joining ther main event next season.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein