Lifetime Standings Will Be Added In 2005

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:20 am

I just wanted to let everyone know that the NFBC will carry another category of standings into the 2005 season as we will add Lifetime Standings next year. Everyone will be ranked according to their finish this year and whoever returns in 2005 will have a chance to add to their ranking going forward. We'll continue this process in future years and after four years you'll be allowed to throw out your low score or something to that effect. We certainly don't want to punish those who haven't been in the contest since Year One, but we certainly want to give everyone a reason to continue competing. Any and all suggestions on how to make this right is appreciated as I like the idea and thank our members for suggesting it.

STATS, Inc., has said this can be done and may even add the category this year just to show everyone where it will be located. The Lifetime Standings will change each day next year as teams move up and down the Overall Standings, so it should be fun to watch.

One more note, I appreciate the League vs. League thread, but I hope everyone knows that every year the leagues will be picked randomly in each city. There will not be a strength of schedule ranking or anything like that. We've all had our bad year in a league or a season in which injuries just decimate our team. Does that make you a weaker owner than the rest? Not likely. But I think the Lifetime Standings will be interesting to watch next year as we follow leagues that have a couple of members in the Top 20 Lifetime Standings or something like that.

But I promise, the draft order and leagues will be randomly selected in 2005.

Thanks again guys for a fantastic and competitive baseball season. Fortunately, the best is yet to come.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:09 pm

What about a prize schedule for the top 10 after 4 years? This could get interesting. :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:09 am

Prizes are easy to come up with for this. We'll figure something out to honor the Lifetime Standings leader after each year and keep that interesting. You guys just provide the ideas and we'll find the sponsors who would love to honor die-hard baseball fanatics like you.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:01 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

One more note, I appreciate the League vs. League thread, but I hope everyone knows that every year the leagues will be picked randomly in each city. There will not be a strength of schedule ranking or anything like that. We've all had our bad year in a league or a season in which injuries just decimate our team. Does that make you a weaker owner than the rest? Not likely. Greg- even though I've been looking at lge standings, I am not a proponent of lge strength adjusted rankings coming into play for the winner. I think simplicity is better when it comes to picking a winner and prefer to see actual results rather than a formula in which guys that have thrown in the towel early affect the outcome via statistical strength rankings. (I do think they're interesting though, especially in refuting trash-talkers).

However, I really do think that lge vs lge standings on the home page should be either dumped or revised to reflect a statistically sound method, i.e., based on lge total stats, not an aggregation of team point totals which is irrefutably a misuse of statistical analysis.

[ August 12, 2004, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:46 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

(I do think they're interesting though, especially in refuting trash-talkers). Fast forward five years, here's the trash talk...my league's standard deviation is different than yours... doesn't have the same sort of ring to it.

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

However, I really do think that lge vs lge standings on the home page should be either dumped or revised to reflect a statistically sound method, i.e., based on lge total stats, not an aggregation of team point totals which is irrefutably a misuse of statistical analysis. Don't change it. I flunked STATS in college.