Dead Teams and other things

viper

Post by viper » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:56 am

There is an ongoing post on league .vs. league and how it is meaningful or meaningless depending on one’s point of view. Let it be noted that I am in NY4 and feel our league is solid. Some of the discussions remind me of Benjamin Disraeli's statement, "There are three kinds of lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics.” There really isn’t any good way to compare leagues. If there was, the ongoing discussion would not exist.

To me, a good league occurs when every owner competes all the way through the season. One team in NY4 had the misfortune to draft Nomar, Giambi and Wilson as his 1, 2 & 4 selections. Clearly he is a Red Sox/Cubs fan. “Bambino Meets the Goat” should be his team name. Still, he is making moves each and every week.

I play (and commission) in an 18 team Yahoo league with a group of players initially formed by Jon Loomer of CREATiVESPORTS. The league isn’t an expert league but one formed of his readers from Rotoworld a few years back. The group does baseball, football and basketball. It is into its third season for all 3 sports. It started with the 2002 baseball season. After the first season of baseball, we dropped one owner. His crime was he quit managing his team in late August. We all have had teams in hopeless situations but the true fantasy players at least keep rosters active and make minimal moves. Now to the purpose of this post.

I am curious how many dead teams exist in leagues. Someone from each league could check recent logs and see if there are any teams who haven’t made moves in August. For those teams, go back and see when they last made moves and if they have “bad” active rosters.

NY4 does appear to have one dead team. This team’s last action was on July 3 and they have a couple of long-term disabled players on their active roster..

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:31 am

LV 3 league has only the one dead team. Everyone else has been trying. I agree I have alot of respect for a last place team fighting to overcome finishing there. I'm no expert but I'd think you'd try your best out of pride.

Kevin D

Post by Kevin D » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:31 pm

From LV4--Last vist to site 19 July.Same roster as below but Sean Burnett aquired and in for Davis as of 7/5--NO other moves since then

TALENTEDMRROTO.COM (6/28 to 7/4)

NAME STATUS POS

Barajas, Rod C TEX Active C

LeCroy, Matthew C MIN Active C

Teixeira, Mark 1B TEX Active 1B

Castillo, Luis 2B FLA Active 2B

Rolen, Scott 3B STL @Active 3B

Guzman, Cristian SS MIN Active SS

Anderson, Garret OF ANA -Active OF

Kotsay, Mark OF OAK -Active OF

Nixon, Trot OF BOS -Active OF

Pierre, Juan OF FLA Active OF

White, Rondell OF DET Active OF

Cabrera, Orlando MI BOS - Active MI

Thomas, Frank CI CHW -Active CI

Fullmer, Brad UTL TEX Active UTL

Davis, Doug P MIL -Active P

Halladay, Roy P Active P

Halsey, Brad P NYY Active P

Hermanson, Dustin P SF -

Active P

Koplove, Mike P ARI

Active P

Lehr, Justin P OAK

Active P

Maddux, Greg P CHC -

Active P

Radke, Brad P MIN -

Active P

Washburn, Jarrod P ANA

Active P

BENCH 6/28 6/29 6/30 7/1 7/2 7/3 7/4 STATUS POS

Martinez, Tino 1B Bench 1B

Dominguez, Juan P TEX Bench P

Fuentes, Brian P COL -Bench P

Harden, Rich P OAK Bench P

Nageotte, Clint P SEA Bench P

Ohka, Tomo P MON Bench P

I think it's safe to say Mr. Roto isn't utilising his talent on this team.

So One dead team in LV4- So far.
"All of Life is part of the Divine"---Ancient Hindu saying

Kevin D

Post by Kevin D » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:35 pm

Yes! The Talented Mr. Roto is in last place in LV4. Check his overall postition if you care. I've wasted enough time on him.
"All of Life is part of the Divine"---Ancient Hindu saying