Players called up Sunday

God Our Team Sucks

Players called up Sunday

Post by God Our Team Sucks » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:43 am

Just noticed on rotoworld.com that the lead article says that Scott Kazmir was called up after the D-Rays game Sunday afternoon.

This is someone who would be of interest to many teams, but I don't see him listed.

What's the deal?

Thanks!

God Our Team Sucks

Players called up Sunday

Post by God Our Team Sucks » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:00 am

It's 5:557 pm edt, and ESPN.com is also reporting the recall of Scott Kazmir in their transactions.

I'd like to call him up, but he's not on the list....

Is there something I don't know about this? Was a rule changed?

Cellar Dwellers

Players called up Sunday

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:36 pm

Dyv-How the hell did your league allow you to get Calvin Pickering for a buck?

Good luck winning the week, it looks like it might come down to who has a better game tonight, Konerko, or Carlos Lee.

Gordon Gekko

Players called up Sunday

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:01 pm

Wasn't Dyv in the league that drafted via telephone? If so, sign me up for that league next time.

[ August 22, 2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

Players called up Sunday

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:03 pm

Originally posted by Doug Loman All-Stars:

It's 5:557 pm edt, and ESPN.com is also reporting the recall of Scott Kazmir in their transactions.

I'd like to call him up, but he's not on the list....

Is there something I don't know about this? Was a rule changed? My guess is that he got called up too late for STATS to get him into the database by 5pm.

Dyv

Players called up Sunday

Post by Dyv » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:49 pm

Originally posted by Cellar Dwellers:

Good luck winning the week, it looks like it might come down to who has a better game tonight, Konerko, or Carlos Lee. I have no idea - we just tossed him in there as an afterthought. He lets us sit Gibbons for a week to get his groove back now. I'm not convinced he's going to play a ton over Stairs, but then again - anyone who can hold the right end of the bat in KC gets a shot. We could use another little spark ;)
Just Some Guy

Dyv

Players called up Sunday

Post by Dyv » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:50 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

Wasn't Dyv in the league that drafted via telephone? If so, sign me up for that league next time. Hmmm, yeah - kind of. There were 5 of us in Vegas and the others were in NYC and they had a draft moderator in each city talking to each other via phone.. and a full draft board on each end. The only advantage I think I got was more space to spread out and pace a bit ;)

We have moved out of the worst league now, making our charge as a league, too.

Rah Rah, go NY5!

Dave
Just Some Guy

Dyv

Players called up Sunday

Post by Dyv » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:54 pm

Originally posted by Cellar Dwellers:

Good luck winning the week, it looks like it might come down to who has a better game tonight, Konerko, or Carlos Lee. Yeah, both with HR tonight, too - going to be very tight when it updates overnight. I think we'll hold him off by virtue of that Tim Worrell save for us today being worth HUGE points in a weekly burst. Although I could see us landing in 3rd or 4th for the week with our pitching performance today. Saving grace is likely that a lot of big scores and bad era/whip around the entire league today.

Either way, it's a good week for us and gets us in the mix - we were something like 107 overall in July. Been getting healthy and mean since then ;)

Dave
Just Some Guy

Tom Kessenich

Players called up Sunday

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:28 am

Hey guys, I forwarded this to STATS and once they get back to me I'll let you know. What appears to have happened is that Kazmir wasn't officially called up on Sunday; it was just announced. The official move may come today which would then put Kazmir into the free-agent pool. That's my guess as to what happened.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Players called up Sunday

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:55 am

I heard back from STATS and they said that since Kazmir did not play in a game on Sunday he was added after the player pool for this week was locked. So that's why he was unavailable for a FAAB bid this week.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Players called up Sunday

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:26 pm

This Kazmir transaction is very typical of what has happened before this season and it's certainly not the fault of STATS, although that's where a lot of people like to put the blame. I think any of us who write for sites on Sunday know, the Devil Rays said they were calling him up from the minors to start on Monday and of course everyone had him on the D-Rays' roster. Hell, the move might even have been officially made on Sunday morning or so. But apparently it didn't as I believe STATS said they had him entered to their MLB player pool at like 8:18 on Sunday night.

So it's another case of everyone knowing he's getting called up from the minors on Sunday and the team basically not getting the report in or the STATS reporter at that game not entering that move in time. I hate it when it happens because everyone was ready to bid on him with two starts this week, but those things happen. Now everyone literally will have a chance to bid on him next week.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius