Buster time to answer the real question

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:43 pm

Buster, You busted my chops about spending my money early before. Now that we're in the last month how about you bust the chops of our last place team that gave up on his team two months ago. Or is it an agreement that industry guys are off limits but the rest of us are fair game? I'll be watching to see if you address this in your weekly report.

Buster

Post by Buster » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:03 am

Walla:

Thanks for the idea for my weekly column. CREATiVESPORTS.com has a staff of editors that assist with stories, and I have forwarded your request on to them for their review.

However, as bad a problem as "dead teams" are, I don't believe that it is a proper subject for Outside the [Batter's] Box. In that column, as you know, I try to give a slightly light-hearted look at fantasy sports, and attempt to provide at least a small amount of advice as to what to do with a team, or at a minimum, what I have done with my team, and the reasons behind the move(s).

Other than telling players to avoid getting into leagues with dead teams (no one starts as a dead team, so this advice is not helpful), there isn't much I can write.

With respect to industry guys, etc., I have no problem writing about others in the industry. There is no unwritten (or written) rule about it. I just don't see the purpose of calling out any dead team, whether it be an industry guy, or a non-industry guy.

If an industry guy, or anyone else had run out of FAAB in May, I would have written about it. If anyone had cut Dontrelle Willis (as was done twice in the Chicago leagues), I would have written about it. Merely because a team or teams go dead (or nearly dead) once it appears that there is little or no hope for that team(s), doesn't make it noteworthy. It is unfortunate, but not worth the space in the column.

Thanks again.

Buster

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:05 am

Buster, I would agree with you to a point. But than you did write about using your money. So if a team goes dead with half thier money still there two months before the end of the season does that change things or is it ok to just quit any time? If I had kept my money and just quit three months ago is that cool as long as I didn't spend my money? Just wondering? :)

Buster

Post by Buster » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:52 am

The money issue was timely. It is always unfortunate when a team quits. It changes the dynamics of the league, of the FAAB, and the entire process.

Scott Kazmir is going to be bid on by a number of teams this week. Yet, some with the most money aren't likely to be bidding in some leagues, as those teams have quit.

I, and the remaining bidding teams have to look at the amount each team has remaining, and also try to guess if a dead or nearly dead team is going to wake up and bid, or if they will remain dead.

So, dead teams play a large role, even today, in the FAAB process, which makes the FAAB process difficult, but fair to all.

It's never cool to quit. However, it is a common occurence, and as I wrote, not noteworthy. There is a thread (or a number of them) about how to deal with dead teams and how to avoid them.

Unfortunately, no matter what is done, there will ALWAYS be dead teams, and no rule change will avoid it. Bad, but not worth a column.

If you like, send me over a column, and I will pitch it to the editors of CREATiVESPORTS.com, and see if they will publish your guest column.

Best regards,

Buster