Will ARod be picked in the 1st round?

steve

Post by steve » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Where do you poeople think he will be picked?

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Originally posted by steve:

Where do you poeople think he will be picked? Earliest 10th, latest 29th.

SluggoJD

Post by SluggoJD » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:43 pm

Well considering he might only miss the first 2 weeks of the season, I would think there's a great chance he will go around 15th.

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:48 pm

many will probably take a chance late 1st rd (12-15) to early 2nd (16-20). There's been alot of naysayers, but when the time comes to draft he'll be too good to pass up.
Always be closing.

cindy

Post by cindy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:05 am

Barring any setbacks prior to the draft I bet he gets taken by virtually all teams picking at 15/16 if not gone before then. I think some of the teams picking from 10-14 will believe they can get him on the way back in round 2, but it won't happen. I think if you want him, you have to take him in round 1. If he were to ever slip to the end of the 2nd round where someone could pair him with HRam, Reyes, Pujols, or Wright that could be troubling!

Dirt Dogs

Post by Dirt Dogs » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:32 am

Look at what Longoria did for fantasy owners after he missed 1 whole month. If you can find a hot bat for that one month to fill in for him you get 1st round stats the rest of the year. I say he goes between 14-20 overall. You know he has something to prove this year too.
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:44 am

Originally posted by cindy:

Barring any setbacks prior to the draft I bet he gets taken by virtually all teams picking at 15/16 if not gone before then. I think some of the teams picking from 10-14 will believe they can get him on the way back in round 2, but it won't happen. I think if you want him, you have to take him in round 1. If he were to ever slip to the end of the 2nd round where someone could pair him with HRam, Reyes, Pujols, or Wright that could be troubling! Thanks Gordon for this misinformation.

Do you feel it is your job to make sure that A-Rod doesn't slip to far to the front of the draft?

Greg will please find out where this post is coming from.

Ms. Cindy who claims to be married to someone who plays in New York...suddenly post with great insight where she thinks A-Rod will fall.

A-Are you playing?

B-Why do you care?

C-Who else would put a post like this on the board?

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:52 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

Thanks Gordon for this misinformation.

Do you feel it is your job to make sure that A-Rod doesn't slip to far to the front of the draft?

Greg will please find out where this post is coming from.

Ms. Cindy who claims to be married to someone who plays in New York...suddenly post with great insight where she thinks A-Rod will fall.

A-Are you playing?

B-Why do you care?

C-Who else would put a post like this on the board? come on man. i told ya man-to-man, i'm not cindy brady. if u don't believe me, then what can i say.

as for arod, he's a unique case. need to read the next week to see how long they thing he will be out. if the damage is minimal, a few weeks, i think we'll see him go mid first. if they are calling for 4-6 weeks, late first. get some scrub 3b in the 20th round for 2-3 weeks and then roll with arod the rest of the season. :cool:

i did notice a lot of sharks move down to the 10-12 draft slot. i'm thinking there will be an arod and/or utley run. how did i do? :D

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:55 am

Originally posted by Dirt Dogs:

Look at what Longoria did for fantasy owners after he missed 1 whole month. If you can find a hot bat for that one month to fill in for him you get 1st round stats the rest of the year. I say he goes between 14-20 overall. You know he has something to prove this year too. pretty much agree here. don't even need a hot bat. just need an average bat for a few weeks.

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:56 am

ARod will post numbers no better than 3rd round if he misses a month. Picking 2nd overall, if he was there at pick 29, I'd probably pass on him, unless better news were to come along.

With that said, I am sure there will be a disappointed owner who grabs him before that.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:01 am

Originally posted by poopy tooth:

ARod will post numbers no better than 3rd round if he misses a month. the stats for arod would be...

AROD for 24 weeks

PLUS

Avg 3B you can get in the 20th+ round for 2 weeks

EQUALS

FIRST round numbers.

the question is where to nab him. he'll go first round in most leagues i think. does he fall to pick 29 in any drafts, not a chance! think poodles from last year. doom and gloom in the preseason and then ass mowing in the regular season.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:21 am

some of the fertilizer on these boards is unique.

So while some of you are still thinking ARod is a first rounder, consider a few FACTS

1) He is out all of April

2) He is out part of May - will he be in game shape as soon as they clear him to resume baseball activities?

3) His doctor said he is only 80% to be able to play the full season after this procedure....and if he waited until October to have the surgery he needs to clear this for next year he would then likely not be available for the start of spring training next year.

Given #3 do you think if the Yankees don't have a playoff spot locked that he plays at all in September?

hmmmm 1st round draft pick who misses April & September..........quite a bet

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:41 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:

So while some of you are still thinking ARod is a first rounder, consider a few FACTS

2) He is out part of May - will he be in game shape as soon as they clear him to resume baseball activities?

3) His doctor said he is only 80% to be able to play the full season after this procedure....and if he waited until October to have the surgery he needs to clear this for next year he would then likely not be available for the start of spring training next year.

Given #3 do you think if the Yankees don't have a playoff spot locked that he plays at all in September?

hmmmm 1st round draft pick who misses April & September..........quite a bet i see you are a fertilizer salesman as well...

Alex Rodriguez had surgery Monday MARCH 9th and he is expected to recover in six to nine weeks.

Six weeks puts us at April 20th....2 weeks into the season. now if arod is able to cut his recovery time to 4 weeks, he'd be ready to roll almost as soon as the season began. again, this next week of info/updates surrounding arod will be crucial. my gut says he's back playing in APRIL. i don't see him missing any games in May.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:42 am

with the pitching staff the yanks now have, they will be there in the end and will make sure AROD gets every Sept at bat.

hook - do u work at Agway? ;)

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:43 am

hmmmm 1st round draft pick who misses April & September..........quite a bet Geez Hook, you have to keep stuff like this off the boards.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:45 am

let me guess hook...u have a late first round pick, don't you? :D :D

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:49 am

hmmmm 1st round draft pick who misses April & September..........quite a bet I believe the doctor said "85%-90% chance" he plays the rest of the season without any setbacks. They also said he'll be ready for spring training after his 2nd procedure. So it's a stretch to say he'll miss September if they're out of the race which is a stretch in itself.

You do make a good point about A-rod not being in game shape right away. Let's say A-rod comes back in mid-May and it takes him a couple weeks to get comfortable. That equates to 1/3 of the season with average stats out of your 1st or 2nd round pick. Can A-rod make that up? Maybe, maybe not.

You also have to take into consideration the fallout from the fans in New York if he struggles early combined with all the steroid talk. It may take him longer to bounceback. I'm not saying I wouldn't draft him in the early 2nd round, but it looks like it could be a headache of a pick, especially if he spends any time on the DL later in the year. There's always that chance.
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Ryne Sandberg (my favorite player of all-time)

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:27 am

I have the 8th pick, so there is no chance I will take him in the 1st (today ;) ). However, if he is there for the 23rd pick, I am going to be breaking a sweat. VERY high risk (look what a pain in the hip did for Utley's second half). Even 80, 90 games into the grinding season (and you know if he plays he will be voted into the All-Star Game, so no rest there) can wear anyone down. What exercise or stretching is he unable to do? I am sure we do not have the whole story.

But so much upside! Probably academic as I think he goes just on one side of the turn or the other. Right now I am leaning on letting someone else risk their high pick on him.

[ March 14, 2009, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Edwards Kings ]
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

bluenose

Post by bluenose » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 am

Evan Longoria is going around #20 and is probably projecting 30/10, or higher, to anybody who wants him around #20. I don't see A-Rod doing better than 30/10.

If A-Rod doesn't run when he returns (it is a hip injury after all), and you're looking at best-case 30 HR with no appreciable steals, the name for that is "Aramis Ramirez" and the mailing address is "early third round".

To be fair, I think A-Rod and Aramis are .300 hitters and Longoria is something like .285, but I'd rather have Longoria's upside or Aramis' consistency that A-Rod's potential downside: If A-Rod hits 20 HR and doesn't run, that looks a lot like Garrett Atkins, who goes in the fifth round--although Atkins has 1B eligibility and A-Rod doesn't have that.

All things considered, I'd take A-Rod in the fourth round. Chipper is fourth-roundish and I'd likely take A-Rod over Chipper. (Chipper's also missing time this year; the question is when...) Which means I won't be seeing A-Rod on any of my teams this year.

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:45 am

A lot of interesting takes on Arod - but for me it is about managing risk. I am at pick 8 and if he's there at 23 - I am passing. 3rd rd - I might bite.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 am

Originally posted by Ryan Carey:

A lot of interesting takes on Arod - but for me it is about managing risk. I am at pick 8 and if he's there at 23 - I am passing. 3rd rd - I might bite. That sounds about right.

The conservatives (who can STAY conservative when they say "Pick #8, you're on the clock" in the 2nd round) will likely pass on that risk.

The risk takers may bite in the 2nd. They may think to themselves...Arod is money...his 156 games played per year average since the year 2000 proves he's a gamer. The Yankees will be fighting tooth and nail for their division or wild card with Bos and TB all through September. I can mix and match a 3B and Arod to create a 2nd rounder stats if he misses 4-6 weeks, and a 1st rounders stats if he misses less than 4 weeks. Something fishy about never seeing Arod in pain or limping until the steroid scandal broke tells me the entire thing could be a misdirect. ...and pull the trigger early to mid 2nd round trying to "block" the first 7 picks from getting him in the late 2nd or even worse, early 3rd. Baseball is a freaking marathon, and the first 4-6 weeks fly by, then BAMN...you have good old Arod on your team! :D :D

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 am

...and not to assume Arod would play or sit in a doubleheader...what month historically has the most rainouts?

April showers bring May flowers! ;) (I couldn't find the answer)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:02 am

I ended up taking him at pick 26....it is a risk, but if you are going to take one someone like A rod is the way to go. Look how well it panned out for Pujols owners last year taking him in the second.
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

JohnZ

Post by JohnZ » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:20 am

I'm going to call Greg and complain if Pick 1-4 gets A Rod in Rds 2 or 3.

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:33 am

I would be shocked to see A-ROiD still there in the third round. I would probably also drool on myself in excitement if he was. Da MadCow sez he goes mid two at latest.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby