All the proposals for DL/mid-week changes - Cliff notes

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 3:00 pm

Ranked from least active to most active:

1) Eliminate the DL rule, no Friday moves whatsoever.

PROS:

- Least time commitment, set your lineup once a week and live it

- No worries about STATS updating injuries or players not getting DL'd in September

CONS:

- Owners have least amount of control over managing their bench

- No mid-week relief from injuries

2) Maintain existing DL rule only

PROS:

- Everyone knows how it works

- Some mid-week injury relief for serious injuries that happen between Monday and Thursday night

CONS:

- Does nothing to help out with the numerous non-DL type injuries that last less than 15 days

- In September, teams don't place players on the DL, so rule becomes useless over the final month of the season

3) Allow one Friday move, regardless of DL status

PROS:

- Provides lineup relief for non-DL and DL injuries alike that occur during the week

- Allows for some additional strategy, in that the move can be used for a non-injured player

- Mid-week time commitment only slightly greater than the existing DL rule

CONS:

- If two players get hurt mid-week, only one can be replaced

- Potential for 100% healthy teams to also make one advantageous strategic move

4) Allow one Friday move, regardless of DL status AND keep the existing DL rule

PROS:

- see option #3 above, plus injury relief for a 2nd player

CONS:

- If three players get hurt mid-week, only two can be replaced

5) Allow unlimited Friday moves for hitters, maintain existing DL rule for pitchers

PROS:

- Provides lineup relief for non-DL and DL injuries alike that occur during the week for hitters

- Allows for additional strategy, in that all hitters can be swapped out for the weekend series

- Maintains DL relief for pitchers

CONS:

- Moderately increased mid-week time commitment

- Potential for more active owners to gain an edge over those who don't or won't check on their rosters each Friday

6) Allow unlimited Friday moves for hitters, maintain existing DL rule for pitchers for LIVE NFBC events only

PROS:

- See option #5 above

- Reduces weekly time commitment relative to #5 for those in many satellite lges

CONS:

- See option #5 above

- Creates a different rule set for Satellites

7) Allow unlimited Friday moves for all players

PROS:

- Allows for maximum player control of roster, short of going to daily moves

- Maximum injury relief relative to options #1-6

CONS:

- Increased time commitment

- Allows for streaming of pitchers, changes the game to some extent

The following two proposals have been formally eliminated from consideration:

Modify the existing DL rule such that a DL'd player can be swapped out on ANY day, not just Friday

PROS:

- Significantly improves upon intent of rule to provide relief for DL'd players

CONS:

- Does nothing to help out with the numerous non-DL type injuries that last less than 15 days

- In September, teams don't place players on the DL, so it becomes useless over the final month of the season

- Greg has concerns about STATS being able to maintain timely DL tag updates

- Some owners don't like because there could be potential moves any day of the week

Allow unlimited daily moves

PROS:

- Allows for maximum player control of roster

- Maximum injury relief

CONS:

- Increased time commitment

- Allows for streaming of pitchers, changes the game to a significant extent

- Many NFBC players, it is believed would not participate in a daily game (although the possibility exists that new daily game players could pick up the slack)

[ May 06, 2009, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Of course, those more active owners would also have an advantage with the one move. They both require a move or moves on Friday.

;)

[ May 05, 2009, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Are we all still talking about the same NFBC that "has WAY less luck" than the NFFC and sells out each year? :D
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Of course, those more active owners would also have an advantage with the one move. They both require a move or moves on Friday.

;) Agreed, I consider that inclusive in this:

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Tue May 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Nice job KJ. This makes this much easier to understand.
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Crazy Like a Fox

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Tue May 05, 2009 4:29 pm

We need to get a little away from this arbitrary Friday switchout day.

How about one move per week for any offensive player (regardless if DL'ed or not) regardless of the day, and you can even keep your little Friday DL rule for pitchers.

Seems like this plan rewards teams who focus everyday (what a concept) without necessarily having once per day moves.

Pros for offense: If you have a player who gets hurt and is day to day or hasn't been DL'ed yet due to the team sitting on their hands, you can switch him out the next day and not lose any games. Therefor, rewarding teams who drafted a quality bench (skill) and rewarding teams who pay attention on a daily basis (everyone?)

Pros for pitching: DL Friday switch in place.

Cons: This is a Pro in my book, but some will consider this a con, some offensive players you can switch out on a "slow" day (where their team is not playing) to maximize at-bats.

Overall, this adds strategy. In the end it rewards the skillful and the diligent. That's what managing your team should be all about.
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Ryne Sandberg (my favorite player of all-time)

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue May 05, 2009 4:54 pm

this is a weekly league. there are three options.

a) ZERO moves after monday lineups are set

b) status quo

c) replace any player on the DL the day after he hits the DL, regardless of the day.

"KISS"

bill
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

Jackstraw

Post by Jackstraw » Tue May 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Originally posted by Kentucky Reign:

this is a weekly league. there are three options.

a) ZERO moves after monday lineups are set

b) status quo

c) replace any player on the DL the day after he hits the DL, regardless of the day.

"KISS"

bill After reading through the Cliff Notes version, I realize one thing... Bill is right. The NFBC is a weekly game. The only option is eliminating the DL rule and getting the Main Event back to what this style of game is meant to be.

That doesn't mean though that the NFBC can't offer other format options to satisfy everyone, but the Main Event needs to get back to where it was.

Personally, I would really like to see a daily format that has a once weekly FAAB period. If you guys don't like that version then just don't play in it :rolleyes:

Peace out :cool:

[ May 05, 2009, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Jackstraw ]
George
Smoky Mtn. Oysters
Chicago 4
Wildwood Weeds
Chicago 650 Mixed League Auction

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 5:58 pm

Crazy, Bill and George, do you guys just like fight losing battles?

Greg said explicitly that he has two issues with allowing moves any day of the week. One is STATS getting players tagged on time everyday of the week, and the second is with owners in the past objecting to having to check-in on their teams every day. Bill, I've been telling you this for 2-3 days, since you brought it up. Greg said the same today. Give it up and focus on an option that Greg is open to.

Seriously, its like Tom saving himself for Jessica Alba. He can save, and hope, and wish and post about it all he wants, but it ain's happenin'. Sorry TK. :D

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 05, 2009 6:17 pm

I'd say the odds are as good at going back to how the original rules were set up for the NFBC as they are being mauled and mutilated by the loud MB posters.

Aside from a select few...I've heard very little complaining re: once per week for lineups over the 5 years I've tagged along here.

...and that's the bottom line.

We know the rules as is. We are content with the rules as is. STATS can't screw it up if they don't have to learn and program a whole new setup as is.

~Albert Einstein

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 05, 2009 6:23 pm

There they were. A bunch of owners with the dreaded DL next to their players names.

REVOLUTION!!!

Greg tried to make thing better.

NOW...there they are...a bunch of owners with the dreaded "day-to-day" next to their players names.

ANOTHER REVOLUTION???

I can't help but think you are all spoiled brats.

Strategy my ass. You can't accept losing a few at bats or innings pitched. It's not fair! :rolleyes:

The faster you learn life isn't fair, and how to deal and adapt to adversity...the better.

This game isn't any different.

~Lance

~Albert Einstein

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Tue May 05, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm with you Lance. As is is fine by me.

I just lost Ankiel for the foreseeable future. Oh well, it happens. Next monday, I'll take him out of my lineup. Sucks I'll lose some ab's this week, but them's the breaks.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Strategy my ass. You can't accept losing a few at bats or innings pitched. It's not fair! :rolleyes:

The faster you learn life isn't fair, and how to deal and adapt to adversity...the better.

~Lance I think you'll enjoy this video Lance! :D

[ May 06, 2009, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed May 06, 2009 2:26 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Greg said explicitly that he has two issues with allowing moves any day of the week. One is STATS getting players tagged on time everyday of the week, and the second is with owners in the past objecting to having to check-in on their teams every day. Bill, I've been telling you this for 2-3 days, since you brought it up. Greg said the same today. Give it up and focus on an option that Greg is open to.

Seriously, its like Tom saving himself for Jessica Alba. He can save, and hope, and wish and post about it all he wants, but it ain's happenin'. Sorry TK. :D it's just my opinion KJ. if the daily DL thing can't be done, i can live with it. i just think it would be a viable option IF it's possible.

i have absolutely no problem with the rules as is. it's fair to all. nobody likes it when we have a star not playing for 3-4 days, but that's the breaks.

if you can convince greg to change the DL rule or allow an additional move on fridays, more power to you and i'll play by those rules.

:cool:

bill
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 06, 2009 2:26 am

Seriously, its like Tom saving himself for Jessica Alba. He can save, and hope, and wish and post about it all he wants, but it ain's happenin'. Sorry TK. :D Sorry that I missed all of the fun on the Friday DL discussion yesterday, but I had to take my daughter to the doctor for her six-month checkup on her leg. She had a screw inserted into her leg in October and she went on the DL on Tuesday. Fortunately, I get to replace her in my starting lineup with my other daughter on Friday. Damn, I love this Friday DL Rule. ;)

You know what? You really don't appreciate the medical profession until you see an X-ray of a screw in someone's body. As sports fans, we just gloss over the reports that say a player broke his leg and had a plate or a screw inserted. Man, when you see that X-ray with a 1 to 1 1/2-inch screw actually riveted into the bone just like a piece of wood, it makes you cringe. I looked at that yesterday and just said "DAMN. That's really in my daughter's leg, keeping her ankle in place."

It's amazing and every time I go to the hospital I just shake my head. Not at our misfortune; quite the opposite. I feel for all of the parents and kids and folks who have it so much worse than us. Anytime we can walk in and out of the hospital on the same day, it's a good day.

Now back to this proposal. KJ appears to be leading the charge while the survey is still in place, but I guess I have no control over the spin doctors. But he is right on one thing: I will not have any form of daily moves. I am analyzing whether to keep the Friday DL Rule, tweak the Friday DL Rule or eliminate the Friday DL Rule. That's it. I would hope everyone would understand that by now.

Carry on and honestly these type of discussions are good for folks during the season. The Friday DL Rule will help some owners this week who unfortunately suffered injuries and I'm glad we have it in place. Maybe we can make it better or keep it as is, or get rid of it. Keep discussing and I'll drop in from time to time. For now, I need to look at this X-ray again and start feeling sorry for the next player whose transaction states "he broke his leg, had a screw inserted and will be back in the lineup in six weeks." Sheesh. :eek:
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Jackstraw

Post by Jackstraw » Wed May 06, 2009 2:56 am

I'm glad to hear that people are finding ways to use the Friday DL rule in their personal lives. I tried using the rule with my girlfriends, but it really just hasn't worked too well for me :rolleyes:

Anyway, after Greg's post, all I can say is that I support eliminating the rule. I think that is the fairest of things for everyone.

P.S. All I am asking for is a daily transaction satellite league. I'm happy with the Main Event as a weekly transaction game. I think I have some good ideas for an advancement of the Yahoo, ESPN, CBS daily games that would make them more acceptable to the hardcore players but we just never seem to get past the "streaming" comments. If anyone wants to discuss them, then I would love to. Otherwise my vote has been cast in the poll, I've stated out loud what my vote was, but in the end whatever direction it goes I am sticking with the NFBC
George
Smoky Mtn. Oysters
Chicago 4
Wildwood Weeds
Chicago 650 Mixed League Auction

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed May 06, 2009 3:48 am

i would be VERY interested if there is a daily transaction satellite league next year.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 06, 2009 4:00 am

Originally posted by Jackstraw:

I'm glad to hear that people are finding ways to use the Friday DL rule in their personal lives. I tried using the rule with my girlfriends, but it really just hasn't worked too well for me :rolleyes:

Girlfriends was plural above!! Good job George and forget about the Friday DL rule. You have bigger issues to deal with if you have multiple girls in your life!!! :D

I'd hate to go back to just one move per week, but we'll see. It's the 21st century and there has to be a better way. We'll figure it out.

I've asked STATS if we can try a mid-season league with daily transactions and one with twice-weekly transactions. I should get feedback on those requests soon. I think we can test out some of these ideas this year yet, so hang tight.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Wed May 06, 2009 7:12 am

If the DL is dumped. I'd rush back to the NFBC.

But heck I'm only 20% of the polls. :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

But heck I'm only 20% of the polls. :D Good one John!! Anyone who is staying out of the NFBC because of the Friday DL Rule really has some issues. Let's see, kick ass on Draft Day, outsmart everyone in FAAB, pick up the right players in free agency to squeeze every extra point out of each category, but bummed out by one of your players not getting the DL designation by 12:01 on Friday. Yeah, I'm out too. I can see what a drag that rule would be on ya over 26 weeks.

I appreciate the suggestions from those who really are trying to help the NFBC, and again, we'll possibly try some variations in satellite leagues either this year or next year. But I think some folks just love to jump in these threads to keep the hornet's nest stirring.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 06, 2009 8:09 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

But heck I'm only 20% of the polls. :D CLASSIC!

This one does not deserve initials. I am rolling on the floor laughing my ass off. :D :D :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed May 06, 2009 1:24 pm

quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

~Lance I think you'll enjoy this video Lance! :D
[/QUOTE]Not bad, KJ...but I'm not much of a Carvey fan.

Now THIS one is in a similar vein to yours, but hits the spot! (I may have posted it ten times already, but DAMN I laugh out loud each time) It's my second favorite live comedy I can recall...

http://it.truveo.com/Louis-CK-on-Conan- ... /326600834

For those interested in what I consider the best live comedy I've ever seen thus far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L6IeH6KeaY

I'd love a thread dedicated to this topic. Love to hear/watch everyone elses favorites!

~Lance

~Albert Einstein

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Lance, I loved both those spots. LOL!

Life is too funny.

:D