The Hendrick Rule

Cooperstown

The Hendrick Rule

Post by Cooperstown » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:58 am

Let me begin by saying that all Cooperstown teams are done. Stick the proverbial fork in and twist away. But, looking to next year when we make our rebound, I see a rule to suggest.

I can't imagine being in the hunt for the big prize, fighting it out down to the wire and just a few points making a big difference. Then what happens, Morneau goes down, Oswalt too. There's probably more. But because it's after 9/1, the teams don't put them on the DL. Nothing to do but wait until the next Monday.

Without getting into the larger discussion of open Friday roster changes, there is a smaller step available.

I propose something I call the Hendrick Rule. Named after George Hendrick who went down for the season late in 1984 (I think). The Cards didn't DL him so the team owner in our league proposed a rule letting us DL players that were officially and verifiably out for the season.

The NFBC should allow a DL to appear by players who's teams publicly state are "OUT FOR THE SEASON". Then we can replace them on Friday instead of Monday.

I would add that if the player should happen to come back and play that season, we were not allowed to activate him for the rest of the year. The same could apply in the NFBC.

Doesn't seem it would be that difficult for Stats to keep up with this, but we the players could submit names for review by a certain deadline each week if that helps.

Heck, maybe it's best just to open Friday completely as of the first Friday in September.

sportsbettingman

The Hendrick Rule

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:44 am

Maybe they could create a Black colored "DL" logo next to the players you mention in September. As opposed to the Red DL which can go back and forth from stater to bench...the black version could only go to bench, and would create a "lineup error" if in your starting lineup.

Just thinking aloud.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

bjoak

The Hendrick Rule

Post by bjoak » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:43 am

They did this in the past and assumed it was still being done this year though I haven't seen anyone announced. Greg makes the call and DL's guys who are done, right?
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Gekko

The Hendrick Rule

Post by Gekko » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:15 am

no, the Sept rule isn't in effect. it was HORRIBLE. it turned every participant into an attorney looking for just one snipet of info saying the guy is out for the year.

good decision to DL the Sept DL rule

Greg Ambrosius

The Hendrick Rule

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:18 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

They did this in the past and assumed it was still being done this year though I haven't seen anyone announced. Greg makes the call and DL's guys who are done, right? No, we do not have the September DL rule in place this year nor did we have it in place last year. It was done in 2007 and contrary to what Gekko says it worked to perfection. Everyone and his brother wanted to sue me if any of those guys came off the DL, but I correctly DL'd every player out for the year correctly and it worked as was intended. But the complaining about too much subjectivity in the decision led to the "one and done" rule.

Sorry to all who suffer injuries in September and can't DL them for the weekend. Trust me, I've received a LOT of e-mails this week about that. But the masses told me it wasn't worth the headache and the decision to scrap it was made.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

The Hendrick Rule

Post by Gekko » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:51 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

No, we do not have the September DL rule in place this year nor did we have it in place last year. It was done in 2007 and contrary to what Gekko says it worked to perfection. i'm not saying it didn't work, what i'm saying is that i had to scrutinize every web site and newspaper link that i could find for my players that were being "shutdown" and i had to present my case on the MB or email. it was time consuming and i'm thankful this rule went bye bye

Gekko

The Hendrick Rule

Post by Gekko » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:53 am

and sorry for anyone who has a player that is "hurt" in Sept. i have them too. it sux, but it's way better than the alternative.

Glenneration X

The Hendrick Rule

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:29 am

Hello Greg, Tom, Ryan,

If there is any rule that needs to be addressed for future years, it is the DL rule.

I know this has been brought up over and over, but its current setup is so arbitrary and unfair. Its impact on final standings could be and probably is enormous. Therefore a system HAS to be put in place that puts the results back in the hands of the team owner and out of the hands of the arbitrary decisions of MLB and its teams.

I can't even count how many games I've lost due to this rule, the latest being Nolan Reimold being put on the DL at 1:23AM, an hour plus after our deadline.

Friday moves for all players outside of starting pitchers who've already made a start is the fairest rule and the only one that doesn't leave loopholes.

Glenn