Slo- Drafts and New Rules

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:23 pm

...and for three of you to not understand plain English baffles me.

Slow down and re-read my post. It doesn't need to be broken down for kindergarteners, nor does it require you have a friend who drinks more than one beer a month to decode it. :rolleyes:

[ September 28, 2009, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Head 2 Head

Post by Head 2 Head » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:38 am

I beleive you can win from any draft slot. I really like the KDS and would like the use of bidding for draft slots. It would really be cool to bid on your draft slot live at the draft. However, I think most teams would like to know their draft position before then.

In order for NFBC to continue to grow we need to make it easy for rookies and while I feel that bidding for draft slot isn't difficult if it kept players from joining it isn't worthwhile.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

Heels

Post by Heels » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Strongly against any bi-weekly moves. I spend enough time as it is setting lineups on a week to week basis for all of my leagues. I do not want the added responsibility of extra changes. I say axe the DL rule altogether and let the chips fall where they may.

I will probably play in less leagues if bi-weekly moves of any sort are instituted.

This also further alienates the casual player who is not prepared to do the research necessary to keep up with bi-weekly moves. If the rules keep leaning towards the extremely hard core player, we will end up with 150 participants and a lower prize pool. Be careful what you wish for.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:14 am

After seeing starting catchers actually available at the Dump in 12 team online leagues, I would be in favor of starting only one catcher in our starting lineups. I know this has no chance of flying this year, but thought I would throw it out there.

[ September 30, 2009, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Dak

Post by Dak » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 am

Bidding for slots: NO, keep KDS!

Friday moves: DO AWAY WITH IT, once a week moves

only!

Increase rosters: NO, keep at 30!

B/4 long, one will have to be at PC 24 hrs a day, in order to play this game.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:49 am

I believe a competing company plans to re-enter the high stakes fantasy baseball arena in 2010. Their rules dictate setting your lineup twice a week (Monday-Thursday) and (Friday-Sunday). Someone over there must think that’s what high stakes players are looking for.

I don’t see myself playing over there in 2010 for the simply fact that I don’t want to be a beta tester, aka first year events usually have some sort of significant issues that weren’t planned for. Heck, we are in Year 6 here and changes are still being made. But, I’ve been through enough stuff to know “never to say never”. Hopefully the NFBC will have MULTIPLE main events where I can get 100% of my fix.

In any event, for $1,300+ I think we should be able to have more interaction with our lineups, other than just Monday.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:17 am

1) KDS vs bidding on draft spot. In that so many people (accepting not everyone every year) get their first three or so draft picks, I do not see the value (to me or in mass appeal) in bidding for your draft spot. I certainly respect others informed preferences, but I am OK with just keeping KDS.

2) Bi-Weekly moves vs Friday DL vs No Friday DL. I like the Friday DL rule, though I know some are hacked because MLB teams do not get their paperwork in on time. Bi-weekly moves are not really an issue to me as I check about every day (I do not really believe that some set their line-up before Monday's games, then don't check back until the next FA period) so I could tolerate it. However, since this is not just about managing luck (players placed on the DL after Monday's deadline), but more about change in strategy (which of my players is going to have the good week overall vs which of my players will have a good 1/2 week), I would prefer to leave it as is (Friday DL Rule) and stick with a Weekly strategy. One is truly no better or worse than the other nor do you have to be "smarter" for one than the other. It just takes different strategies and is strickly a matter of preferences. Mine are just slacker preferences, I guess. :D

3) Minor league player drafted, dropped and therefore available in that league vs all minor players available to all leagues no matter if drafted or not. Again no real value to having all minor league players available to all leagues no matter if drafted or not. Shawn hit the nail on the head as to measuring the limited value. At most, if a minor leaguer is available to be on your roster, you could get one week of stats jump on another player in another league. It is just not that important. And we all know how many minor leaguers jump to the bigs and make immediate impact! Therefore, I do not care either way. I would suggest to Greg/Tom to base the decision on which program is more or less administratively burdensome. As to my preference, I really do not have one (today!).
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Slo- Drafts and New Rules

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:30 pm

I'm bringing this thread back to show some new folks how it does take multi-pages to discuss a rule change, even multi-years.
Arguments can get off track in any thread and each thread seems to take on a life of its own.
This was not the only thread regarding the hitters change from once a week to Mon and Fri.
Now, the rule seems like second nature to all of us.

A salute to Greg for mostly letting his customers 'battle it out' in a public forum and then acting with an open mind on what would be best for the NFBC contest for coming years.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!