Slo- Drafts and New Rules

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:37 am

Slo-Drafts were a very popular addition to the NFBC last year. I can only guess that there will be more this year and that they will start even earlier than last year.

With that in mind, would it be a good idea to discuss rule changes for next year sooner than later? Maybe even before the end of this season. Just a thought.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:06 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Slo-Drafts were a very popular addition to the NFBC last year. I can only guess that there will be more this year and that they will start even earlier than last year.

With that in mind, would it be a good idea to discuss rule changes for next year sooner than later? Maybe even before the end of this season. Just a thought. I agree on the Slow Drafts and we can start them whenever there is enough interest to get them going. We are always interested in rule changes ideas, so bring them on now. I'm ready.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:11 am

rule changes...

allow Friday switches for hitters.

allow Friday switches for DL pitchers (who haven't pitched earlier in the week).

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:49 am

Friday switches for hitters has topped my list for a long time.

More control in the hands of players, no dl lists to keep track of, and in the end, getting more out of our lineups than just hoping for the best every Monday.
On my tombstone-

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:11 pm

How about adding 5 more rounds? (45 to 50) I enjoyed my Slow-Draft this year but most teams get really beat up by years end. I have 7 DL players, 4 minor leaguers, and even one retired guy on my bench!(Dave Roberts -thank you 2004)
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Sebadiah23

Post by Sebadiah23 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:16 pm

There is less strategy with twice a week moves so I vote against, emphatically against.
We drove 22 miles, country around Farmington. Signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. Cars,tour bus,cameras;postcards sold.

No one sees the barn,

They are taking pictures of taking pictures
-Don DeLillo
@Sebadiah23, IG:sebadiah26

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:46 pm

Originally posted by Gekko and The King:

rule changes...

allow Friday switches for hitters.

allow Friday switches for DL pitchers (who haven't pitched earlier in the week). agree and agree

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Originally posted by Sebadiah23:

There is less strategy with twice a week moves so I vote against, emphatically against. There is without a doubt MORE strategy to 2x hitter moves.

There is, however, less guessing and less impact of bad luck.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:25 pm

In the last month and a half or so alone, across my four NFBC teams, Friday moves would have allowed me to switch out Morneau, N. Morgan, Reimold, Bradley, both Drews, Upton, Dye, Ichiro, ARam, Castillo, Youkilas, ARod, Jeter, DeRosa, Blanks, Gordon, Beltre, Chipper, Sheffield, Francisco, Kinsler, S. Hairston, Fox, E. Young, Victorino, LaPorta, Zambrano, Joba, Pettitte, Harden, Jenks, Street, etc. etc. etc. who were injured or out for the season early in the week but didn't get placed on the DL in time or didn't get placed on the DL at all, or were suspended, traded, sent to the minors, had a start skipped, or benched again early in a week.

These are all recent happenings just off the top of my head that resulted in numerous lost games that could have been avoided with Friday moves.

The DL rule was put in place to help avoid this kind of issue, but to me it helps some but doesn't help others in a purely arbitrary fashion.

It is the worst rule in this contest.

The only way to take luck out of the equation is to allow Friday moves for all players outside of starting pitchers who've already made a start in the week.

I don't believe we want league & overall contests decided by when a player is injured, benched, etc. and whether an injury takes place AND IS MADE OFFICIAL prior to an arbitrary deadline.

Just one player's thoughts based on a lot of recent bad luck,

Glenn

[ September 23, 2009, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

LONG GONE

Post by LONG GONE » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Love the draft! Lets go to 60 man roster. We need more players in a league like this. Everone needs to dig DEEP!

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:03 pm

I dont know about 60... but a couple more rounds, maybe up to 35 would be welcomed for the main

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:46 am

Yes. It's time to start in with friday changes. At least let's start with the DC leagues.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:59 am

. There is enough resentment of the dl rule to make Friday changes a rule change across the board for all leagues.

Also day to day injuries, dl announcements after the deadline, and injuries that occur immediately after Monday's lineups are finalized would all get relief from Friday changes.

The d.l rule for offensive players should be scrapped and Friday changes for EVERYBODY would be the fairest way to go.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:02 am

I just got pm's from every 'Woday' that is logged on below and they want Friday changes too
On my tombstone-

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:47 am

The spirit of the DL rule, is encompassed in allowing Friday lineup changes for hitters. I think making that move for the NFBC is a no-brainer. Just because it is available doesn't mean an owner has to use it. A normal bench has 3-4 hitters and 3-4 pitchers, so it really takes just a second. All NFBC leagues are ready for this.
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:52 am

Originally posted by Joe Sambito:

The spirit of the DL rule, is encompassed in allowing Friday lineup changes for hitters. I think making that move for the NFBC is a no-brainer. Just because it is available doesn't mean an owner has to use it. A normal bench has 3-4 hitters and 3-4 pitchers, so it really takes just a second. All NFBC leagues are ready for this. Totally agree.

She just lost her 1B to the bereavement list. Gonna be a long weekend for Pa.

Sebadiah23

Post by Sebadiah23 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:35 am

Is there more strategy in daily change Yahoo leagues? Most players say no to that, because you shuffle people in and out with limited variables in play, almost like you could train a monkey to do, or maybe a horse if you count how many times he stomps his hoof.

Given that, how can a twice a week change league possibly have more strategy than a weekly change league?

Let's say you have Chipper Jones, and he has a strained glute (ass) muscle and you are trying to decide whether to start him over Edwin Encarnacion. You weigh his 6 or 7 match-ups including ballpark, his likelihood of injury that would make you miss 6 games, versus starting Edwin Encarnacion, who is much more likely to play, may or may not have a batting combination of ballparks or matchups (Lefty/Righty) and who might do damage over a week's span on a given category or categories. If the changes are every 3 days, the stakes of all those changes and the strategy falls dramatically . The injury-prone component goes away almost completely . The impact of any decision falls dramatically.

Its like being able to sub in players off your bench in football every QUARTER!!!! Its ridiculous.

Vote "No" to bi-weekly changes.

Thank you.

-Craig
We drove 22 miles, country around Farmington. Signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. Cars,tour bus,cameras;postcards sold.

No one sees the barn,

-Don DeLillo

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 am

Comparing it to daily is ludicrous. It is closer to the dl system we have now.

It is not every three days either, it is twice a week. The few people that are against the change always try to make it larger than life.

It is the ability to change in three or four players from our bench on Friday. If we had three or four dl'ed people, we'd be doing it anyway.

There is enough injury drama to keep us compelled all year, no matter the format.
On my tombstone-

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:36 am

[ September 24, 2009, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Walla Walla ]

Sebadiah23

Post by Sebadiah23 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Was there a poll I missed? Where did you get your stats from when you said "the few people"?

No one sees the barn,

-Don DeLillo

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Not sure why anyone would argue against a Friday moves rule....

Who amongst us hasn't been hurt by the current DL rule?

Glenn

[ September 24, 2009, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:39 pm

Given that, how can a twice a week change league possibly have more strategy than a weekly change league?

so that means we should set lineups once a month. would that be more strategy using your thinking.

of course not.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:47 pm

How long before the mob wants the LOOOOONG MON-THU, FOUR-DAY STRETCH cut in half?

Going from once per week to twice per week is as big a jump as possible toward daily moves.

TWO YEARS, and this contest will have 3 times per week moves...bank on it.

Just get the regulars to whine about missing a few starts a week, and PRESTO...you have a new game.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:48 pm

Was there a poll I missed? Where did you get your stats from when you said "the few people"? Take this thread for example, how many are with you?

I know that is curt, and I know there are others on your side, but I think overwhelmingly that players want to get away from the dl rule and make their own changes on Friday.

Whatever happens, Greg will do what is best for his contest and the customers.
On my tombstone-

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:49 pm

I find it offensive that the same person who NEEDS twice per week moves ALSO says they do not want daily moves.

Total BS.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein