Looking For Feedback On NFBC 2009

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 am

Actually I did hit the right button and it returned to the start. In fact sometimes didn't do anything and it return to the start. No I'm no expert with computers. But if you have to be to do an online draft I'd say thats a problem!

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 am

Yes, that's a constructive criticism. I have had problems with looking at past picks as well. You can go back ut as soon as a new person makes a pick, it bounces back down, amongst other problems with that feature.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

Yes, that's a constructive criticism. I have had problems with looking at past picks as well. You can go back ut as soon as a new person makes a pick, it bounces back down, amongst other problems with that feature. Yes, scrolling back picks is tough, but guys there is a link there that says Draft Grid and the entire draft board does come up. I'll have Geoff address where it is.

We're looking into all options for 2010 and should have some announcements next week. Stay tuned.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Dirt Dogs

Post by Dirt Dogs » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:53 am

Have the live scoring go out to 4 places after the decimal point.

As of now in one league i'm tied with a guy with a .274 AVG but one of us gets 7 points and the other gets 6.

PLEASE have the live/standings scoring go out to the 4th decimal point ex....2749

thanks
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:52 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

Yes, that's a constructive criticism. I have had problems with looking at past picks as well. You can go back ut as soon as a new person makes a pick, it bounces back down, amongst other problems with that feature. True Brian, and it is annoying. The corner in the upper left side tells us when somebody has made a new pick. A new pick should have no bearing when going back to look at some previous picks.

I hope Geoff is taking notes
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DoubleX

Post by DoubleX » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:20 am

Greg,

First year here for me and I really enjoyed it. Everything was top notch and I had no real issues during the season so thanks for making the experience so enjoyable.

A couple things that I would love to see done and I am not sure if both are possible but here it goes...

1st. Any way possible to make bids and changes from "smart phones" would be amazing. For those of us that are often on the go, out of town or don't have the ability to sit in front of the laptop while on the road it would really make the experience.

2nd. Figure out how to do away with an owner inserting a DL'd pitcher to miss the front half of his 2 starts in the week. That really got to be frustrating quickly and I don't think it is in the fair spirit of what you are trying to achieve here with the friday DL moves.

Thanks and I look forward to next year

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:43 am

Feedback for 2009?

Well I could go into the great aspects of the contest and how great the competition is (and I will be in the coming weeks), but this last week has left me with a black eye and puts this competition in a whole new light.

What has happened the last week of the season in the $1,300 NY Auction could happen in ANY league, including the main event. I won’t rehash what happened, but the precedent this sets and some of the comments I heard on the ‘Questionable move’ thread are very disturbing.

To me it sounds like there are participants out there that use the following protocol when competing:

1. While your team is in the running for prize money, try your best to improve your team

2. If you feel your team is out of it, try to manipulate certain category standings so that your friends or non-enemies win or place higher than they would have.

3. Keep quiet and go with the flow because it’s part of the game.

How many of you have done that? Lance already manned up and admitted to it. Just remember for every ‘friend’ you help win, there’s another person you are helping to lose.

Some posters say that because an owner pays $1,300, he has a right to make whatever moves he wants.

Can that same owner who paid $1,300 act however he wants at the draft table including rude and obnoxious behavior? Can he bring a boom box into the draft room and play it on max volume the whole draft? Of course not; there’s an NFBC/NFFC policy governing draft day etiquette.

Can that same owner who paid $1,300 post whatever he wants on the NFBC message boards, including physical threats. Of course not; there’s an NFBC/NFFC policy governing message board etiquette.

Why is there no NFBC/NFFC policy governing “fair play” (to be used in the most extreme circumstances where violations are crystal clear)? Isn’t “fair play” a lot more important than draft day etiquette and message board etiquette? I understand this would require the Commissioners Office to make more subjective decisions. However, we aren’t playing in a local league or for small amounts of money. This is a national high stakes events and the playing field should be fair for every contestant. Should a “fair play” policy be looked at? BTW, I just downloaded the rules, and there is NO mention of collusion being a violation of NFBC rules.

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:24 am

Originally posted by Gekko:

Feedback for 2009?

Lance already manned up and admitted to it. Just remember for every ‘friend’ you help win, there’s another person you are helping to lose.

Just to be clear Andy,Chris, and I are friends. In fact in my mind as good of friends as you can be with someone you have only actually been around twice. We all remember it the same way. Lance had no impact on that race. It was about a huge gain I got in batting avg the last day and gained 2 points. Check out what Catallanoto and Hinske did the last day of the year. I think it is sad that Lance drafted what I still think is the worst team in the history of the main event and tried to have an impact.

I do want to support you on one thing in particular. The comments suggesting you got what you deserve here IE Karma, or you should be nicer are complete BS. What he did is wrong and you have every right to be upset with him about it. Where we disagree is that you think it is widespread (happening and having an actual impact)and most importantly that Greg and Tom have anything they can do about it. I know you will reference the rule calling for their ability to trump the move. I just do not see a practical way they can involve themselves in things like this.

I hope you win and I have no interest in drafting in New York ever b/c I do not want to be in a league with an obnoxious drunk who holds personal agendas.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:37 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

I just do not see a practical way they can involve themselves in things like this.Lifetime ban for unsportsmanlike conduct

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:37 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Where we disagree is that you think it is widespread (happening and having an actual impact)and most importantly that Greg and Tom have anything they can do about it. Chest - Prior to this week, I didn't think stuff like this went on, but I'm taking my info from other posters here:

Originally posted by Plymouth:

These kinds of things go on all the time in different leagues, owners know each other and if they are out of the race they do all they can to influence the race. Some will admit to it and others won't. Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

I agree with whoever (too lazy to go back and see) said that this goes on more often than each player knows.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:47 am

Why is there no NFBC/NFFC policy governing “fair play” (to be used in the most extreme circumstances where violations are crystal clear)? Isn’t “fair play” a lot more important than draft day etiquette and message board etiquette? I understand this would require the Commissioners Office to make more subjective decisions. However, we aren’t playing in a local league or for small amounts of money. This is a national high stakes events and the playing field should be fair for every contestant. Should a “fair play” policy be looked at? BTW, I just downloaded the rules, and there is NO mention of collusion being a violation of NFBC rules. Mark, you are very good at extrapolating statements and then continuing to run with them. So Lance said he tried to affect a league race once by setting his starting lineup differently. Dan said others may have done this too. So now EVERYONE in the NFBC does it? C'mon, let's get real here. And from a commissioner's standpoint, Mark, do you want me to look at everyone's lineup every week to make sure they are starting their best players? Again, you laughed at Scott for leaving Emannuel Burriss in his starting lineup since May, but since it was helping you and others you never mentioned anything to me about it. But in Week 26 you want rules changes??

We have this statement in the rules, which I think covers anything I need to prevent collusion or fairness in the leagues:

20. Commissioner Decisions: All decisions made by the Commissioner of the NFBC are final. Tough decisions sometimes must be made about eligibility rules, lineups, etc., and NFBC participants must accept the unbiased ruling of the NFBC Commissioner.

You are now five points ahead of Ken in the $1300 New York Mixed Auction League. He can pick up a half point on you in saves yet. May the best team win and let's stop worrying about Scott's lineup as he's now fallen into last place because of his decisions.

If you want to provide ideas on how we should set people's lineups then that's fine. Give us straight ways to do that. Otherwise, let's use this thread to improve the NFBC and not accuse everyone who has played fair all year long of colluding with others. It's really unfair to the contest.

Honestly, take your beef up with Scott on a private level. I think we all agree this is an isolated incident and we all know what it's stemmed from.

[ October 01, 2009, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:57 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Honestly, take your beef up with Scott on a private level. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Plymouth

Post by Plymouth » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:29 am

"Subjective" decisions can get to be a real issue, rules need to be followed to a "T". This is a national contest with large sums of money at stake. You can't have the commissioners making arbitrary rulings on line-up changes. It goes back to "perception is reality", if fantasy players perceive that they are not playing on a level playing field and that there may be some favoritism involved,then the NFBC becomes history. Sadly, truth has nothing to do with it, it is all about what players may think is happening.

In many aspects of life the squeaky wheel gets the grease, here, Greg and Tom have done a great job in maintaining a fair and fun game.

Mark, As I told you before, I respect you as a player but you have a very thin skin for a guy with the persona you portray on these message boards. The best thing you can do is take your league win to the bank and say that in spite of the many roadblock's thrown my way I still beat their A$%! Oh, and next time you are ready to rip someone on these boards for what ever reason just remember that all things average out and that what goes around comes around.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:59 am

Greg – I quoted respected NFBC participants. Perhaps this issue (if you even think it is one) is more prevalent than you were aware?

And I don’t care where I am in the standings. This issue is here and will undoubtedly rear its ugly head again. Unfortunately, maybe even with me again. If this happens in the NFFC this year, it will be interesting to see what that reaction is.

I realize you are not changing Scott’s lineup. To be honest, I’m not looking at anything baseball-related until Monday. I haven’t checked yesterday’s scores, standings, etc… With what has gone on, I can’t have that influence my daily activities.

Ultimately, I presented a possible solution by asking if a “fair play” policy should be looked at moving forward. I’m doing everything I can to help make the NFBC a better contest.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:01 am

Originally posted by Plymouth:

Mark, As I told you before, I respect you as a player but you have a very thin skin for a guy with the persona you portray on these message boards. 3. Keep quiet and go with the flow because it’s part of the game.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:39 am

Some ‘positive’ feedback

1. Even with a couple warts, the NFBC is the best high stakes fantasy baseball event in the country

2. Customer service is the best I’ve ever had the pleasure of interacting with

3. DL rule has been a life saver. There’s nothing good about having a player go down with injury. Having a mechanism to help alleviate some of the weekly zeros is fantastic!

4. Even though I don’t agree with all of the Commissioner’s decisions, I know Greg has always listened to his players and the changes he has implemented are a testament of his open-mindedness. I (and I’m sure others) really do appreciate it.

Not so ‘positive’ feedback

1. Even though I have a highly ranked online championship team, the 12 team format wasn’t my cup of tea. The free agent lists are very different than in the 15 team format and requires much more time to conduct FAAB. I would much prefer a 15 team online championship format.

The “please with a cherry on top” feedback

1. Have the NFBC draft as close to the season as possible. Two weeks away is an ETERNITY

2. Have multiple main events formats

3. Have multiple draft times for the main event so people can get more than one team

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:52 am

And I don’t care where I am in the standings. This issue is here and will undoubtedly rear its ugly head again. The issue is that an owner in your league started players you disagree with. He did it to take a point away from you, even though you are five points ahead in first place. You are now creating a scare thread on the NFFC of similar "what if" scenarios where a team lays down on the final week to affect your W-L record. In football, you can still win your league title and the overall title by SCORING THE MOST POINTS!! Same goal here.

Thanks for the suggestions for 2010. We'll take them into consideration.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:24 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

And I don’t care where I am in the standings. This issue is here and will undoubtedly rear its ugly head again. The issue is that an owner in your league started players you disagree with. He did it to take a point away from you, even though you are five points ahead in first place. You are now creating a scare thread on the NFFC of similar "what if" scenarios where a team lays down on the final week to affect your W-L record. In football, you can still win your league title and the overall title by SCORING THE MOST POINTS!! Same goal here.

Thanks for the suggestions for 2010. We'll take them into consideration.
[/QUOTE]greg - i meant when you said i have a 5pt lead in the race as of today. i don't care if today i was 5 points ahead or behind. what was done, was done days ago.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:12 pm

Gekko, Awhile back we were all rooting for you.

It was for your wife and baby. We thought that was important. More so than fantasy baseball.

You yourself thought so. Maybe you should sit back and think about what you received and what you lost. I think you came out the winner. Let it go and enjoy the real win.

John Crane

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Wouldn't the "zero sum game" argument apply every week to every team?

We tend to look over our competition's rosters when it's crunch time...but week 26 has the same value as week 12.

NOT doing anything to your roster week 25 and 26 helps some teams. Doing the consensus "right thing" may also favour some teams. Doing whatever the hell you want favours some teams.

Let's not lose the ability to do whatever the hell we want.

The NFBC taking over teams would kill the game faster than anything else...even faster than the c-word.

Why do you feel another team out of the money cannot play spoiler? Why should a dormant team be forced to remain dormant, or an active team be forced to remain active? I am not talking pulling starters...something I have never done.

Freedom trumps all. People implying I must become an ADP linup setter for the final month can stick it.

Karma works in funny ways...I think by someone trying to screw you...BOOSTED your good Karma...and you will run away with that auction league!
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:09 pm

We are not robots.

It's the same human element involved (but not admitted to) in almost everything...including MLB.

A pitcher goes easy on a guy he likes or a fellow countryman.

An outfielder can make a bad break on a ball hit by a friend.

...not to mention how an umpire will call balls and strikes differently from player to player. :rolleyes:

You can't be so naive as to think every player in every sport ignores all friendships like a robot and goes all out vs. everyone.

That's how they talk to the media...but c'mon.

Same thing here. The c-word is a joke. Impossible to prove without both party's admission of guilt. I'd go so far as to say there will never be anyone proven guilty of the c-word unless they wanted to be caught on purpose. That should make you sleep well at night. (not) :eek:

Locking the starting rosters of teams mathematically eliminated from the money would have as much effect as not doing so. It just might be a different team getting the advantage.

Tricky situation here...but I doubt there has been a year that this stuff hasn't happened.

EVERY lineup decision every week not only helps you, but helps some other team in your league.

JUST WIN, BABY!

[ October 02, 2009, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]

~Albert Einstein

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Shhhhh.

If you don't respond...he'll go away!

:D :D :D

Jagoffs!!! :D ;)

Anyone here sen an umpire squeeze a pitcher???

If you have not...get to the back of the complaint line.

HUMAN ELEMENT.

[ October 03, 2009, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]

~Albert Einstein

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:00 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Shhhhh.

If you don't respond...he'll go away!

:D :D :D

Jagoffs!!! :D ;)

Anyone here sen an umpire squeeze a pitcher???

If you have not...get to the back of the complaint line.

HUMAN ELEMENT. Hello Lance,

Since its obvious you're looking for some feedback here, I will give you some.....

I personally think its a bit unfair that you're being thrown in the same boat as Fandango.

To me, there's a huge difference between trying to move up in a category to play spoiler vs. throwing a category.

Because of that reasoning, I sympathize with you regarding the feedback you've received thusfar.

That said, I wouldn't set my lineup to help or hurt anyone. Even if out, I set my lineup every week to move up as far as I can in the standings.

For example, though out of the money barring a miracle going into this final week for my online championship team & my mid-season satellite, I picked up free agents & set my lineup last weekend for both. I was hoping to pass Todd Zola in my online (looks unlikely right now) and pass KJ Duke in my mid-season (looking better by the day). I'm doing it for my own personal pride in my finish with no other agenda. If it helps or hurts someone else, so be it.

For me, that's the only reason to pick up a free agent or set a lineup.

Glenn

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 am

Now go away...... ;) .

Glenn