Looking For Feedback On NFBC 2009

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:47 am

Right now we are working on details for the 2010 NFBC and picking out the right locations and dates to host our live drafts. We're also looking at all of the options with our Online Championship League and looking to expand that as well. We have VERY aggressive plans for 2010 and we'll unveil most of them right after the conclusion of the 2009 NFBC season.

But before doing that, I wanted to get some feedback on 2009, good and bad. It's been an incredible season that included 170+ different NFBC leagues. Thanks to 50 leagues in our debut NFBC Online Championship league, we are running far more leagues than we ever have before. And yet, I think this was the smoothest year we ever had in the NFBC.

But I know we can do things better, from the food at the live drafts to the drafting process to the data entry of leagues. We have some wild ideas to improve all of this, but first we want your feedback. Feel free to post your experiences involving the NFBC in 2009 and tell us what you liked most and what you would like to see improved. We'll take it all in and consider those changes for 2010 and beyond.

Thanks for any and all input you can give us. I know that 2010 is going to be bigger, better, more improved and more successful for everyone involved. It will look slightly different than the past six years in the NFBC, but it will be better. Stay tuned for the details after Oct. 5th, but help us out with the planning before then. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:21 am

I agree this was the best year ever. I think the biggest win was the ability to prove you can do a high stakes draft over the phone and still have a great time (opening up the main event to scheduled phone leagues). I also think Stats had a better year for the most part.

I am for Friday offensive moves and it sounds like we may be getting closer to a consensus there. The DL rule was well intentioned, but simply does not work. Cut bait on that one and move on.

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:38 am

No real complaints. Though I wish the live scoring was more in line with other web sites. No reason you shouldn't be able to see the daily stats of everyone on 1 screen.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:47 am

Although the long wait for the live scoring to load can be kinda fun when ripped...is there a way to get it to load faster?

Sometimes the wait for the pitching stats to load is downright long.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Head 2 Head

Post by Head 2 Head » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:41 am

It would be nice to drill down from live stats to the game.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 am

I'd like to see an overall online auction championship (15-teamer). The auction software has gotten reliable enough, and there are a lot of hardcore auction players lurking out there.

This obviously would be more a niche event, but I think you'd have enough interest at the $300-500 level to get 100+ teams.

[ September 25, 2009, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Mithrophon

Post by Mithrophon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:51 am

Chicken wings at the draft would be great.

So would slushies.

And at this point I wouldn't mind removing Wins as a category.
Men Without Helmets

Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:29 am

I would love to see online auction satellite events and maybe a smaller online auction championship event.

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:21 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

I'd like to see an overall online auction championship (15-teamer). The auction software has gotten reliable enough, and there are a lot of hardcore auction players lurking out there.

This obviously would be more a niche event, but I think you'd have enough interest at the $300-500 level to get 100+ teams. Good idea. I'd much prefer the 15 team versus 12 team. I know we've spoken about this in the past.
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:26 pm

* Being able to export the free agent lists into Excel would be a great feature.

* The live scoring being upgraded. Sportsline.com does a tremendous job with the live scoring. Players light up when they are up at bat, etc. You can drill down into the live games.

* Make the change to the Friday lineups. All offensive players can be swapped. The game has changed with players not going on the DL in September and guys getting shut down, etc.
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

* Being able to export the free agent lists into Excel would be a great feature.

* The live scoring being upgraded. Sportsline.com does a tremendous job with the live scoring. Players light up when they are up at bat, etc. You can drill down into the live games.

* Make the change to the Friday lineups. All offensive players can be swapped. The game has changed with players not going on the DL in September and guys getting shut down, etc. you're batting 1000 RSN!

SlackerDan

Post by SlackerDan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:00 am

I might be in the minority (or even the only one interested in this) ... but I would love to have the DH changed to FLEX.

That slot could be a hitter (DH only or positon) OR a 10th pitcher ... depending on what the needs are for that week.

I know it will never happen, but figured I would throw it out.

SlackerDan

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:26 am

Originally posted by SlackerDan:

I might be in the minority (or even the only one interested in this) ... but I would love to have the DH changed to FLEX.

That slot could be a hitter (DH only or positon) OR a 10th pitcher ... depending on what the needs are for that week.

I know it will never happen, but figured I would throw it out.

SlackerDan flex players are always a good thing. players love it as it adds more fun.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Here are my thoughts, both to widen the # of players and 2) make it easier for those us us with limited time to widen the the number teams we can support:

Types of satellite and live drafts:

0. More online auction satellites, the sw is for real finally!!!

1. Add a $ draft based on real life 2009 salaries

2. Is there a way to add another auction event set for Friday morning?

3. For those who want it (not me, a daily moves satellite)

4. a h2h satellite. Again not my cup of tea but many love it. Make sure to limit starts so it doesn't become a streaming pitching mess

Changes to Stats:

1. Ability to copy a FAAB free agent thread between your teams. If a player is already taken, you get a warning message and the systems shows you the shortened FAAB and asks to accept it

2. Faster pitching data updates

Technical:

1. Mobile site for both iphone and blackberry

2. Team/player alerts to email or SMS

Spyhunter

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:23 pm

I would be willing to bet,even with new owners from the 500 on-line teams last year, that there would not be enough interest in daily moves to fill even two leagues. Just my opinion.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

I would be willing to bet,even with new owners from the 500 on-line teams last year, that there would not be enough interest in daily moves to fill even two leagues. Just my opinion. How many do you think you could fill with once per week (locked)??? :D :D :D

I'd guess more than many think.

Love ya Uncle Dan...just stirring away! :D
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:45 pm

I know, Lance.

I wouldn't expect anything less. ;)
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Don Mathis

Post by Don Mathis » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:55 am

I would like to see the players ML team listed on the free agent pickups and drops.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:05 am

Originally posted by Don Mathis:

I would like to see the players ML team listed on the free agent pickups and drops. WITH full positional elgibility. If you can list properly on the profile page, why not here?

bustouts

Post by bustouts » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:27 pm

i think if a player is activated from the dl, you should be able to activate him immediately or at least on a friday

JEagle

Post by JEagle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:51 am

The live scoring really needs to be updated/ sportsline has the best live scoring which allows you to see everything from your team and all the others..I ahve no problem with stats as a whole but they really need a better live scoring system.
Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I'm bad....but I always try real hard.

JEagle

Post by JEagle » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:51 am

The live scoring really needs to be updated/ sportsline has the best live scoring which allows you to see everything from your team and all the others..I ahve no problem with stats as a whole but they really need a better live scoring system.
Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I'm bad....but I always try real hard.

Cowboy Joe

Post by Cowboy Joe » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:03 am

I'd like to see two upgrades to the stat package:

1. Allow the user to input the start and end dates for grabbing either fantasy or MLB statistical data

2. Make all of the data (at a minimum, YTD fantasy and MLB data)available in an excel format.
I feel like I'm the Jerry Quarry of the NFBC.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:30 am

Dump MDC! I can't remember one online draft at MDC where I didn't have a problem. The format sucks. While drafting if you look back to see who was drafted it takes you to the first round than works its way back. Since there is no breaks in the online drafts your screwed if you take a **** .

In the real live drafts I can make a pick and than go take a **** , come back and look at the board.

Theres no board! Just a list that takes forever to go through. Come on Greg ESPN had a draft board 10 years ago!

billywaz

Post by billywaz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

Dump MDC! I can't remember one online draft at MDC where I didn't have a problem. The format sucks. While drafting if you look back to see who was drafted it takes you to the first round than works its way back. Since there is no breaks in the online drafts your screwed if you take a **** .

In the real live drafts I can make a pick and than go take a **** , come back and look at the board.

Theres no board! Just a list that takes forever to go through. Come on Greg ESPN had a draft board 10 years ago! MDC is great!

If you hit the OTHER button, it will take you back about 10 picks (or what ever it shows on the screen at the time). You can see everyone in each "section" of the draft.

I take it your not, "computer saavy", Walla? ;)