Free Agent Auctions

Money

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Money » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:02 am

How about some insight into past free agent auction strategy's? Spend early? Save for late? Your thoughts.
Joe

Sack

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Sack » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:56 am

Each auction evolves in a different manner. You should go in with a plan, but be prepared to adapt to what your leaguemates are giving you during the auction.

If you have a solid set of dollar figures for all the players, as the auction unfolds you'll be able to get a feel for whether or not to be bold early or to sit back and wait.

Best advice - know the player pool by position inside and out.

[ February 05, 2010, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Sack ]

Chest Rockwell

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Chest Rockwell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Originally posted by Sack:

Each auction evolves in a different manner. You should go in with a plan, but be prepared to adapt to what your leaguemates are giving you during the auction.

If you have a solid set of dollar figures for all the players, as the auction unfolds you'll be able to get a feel for whether or not to be bold early or to sit back and wait.

Best advice - know the player pool by position inside and out. and know when to back out when the bidding on Phil Hughes gets out of control. Sometimes it pays to have the shorter stack. I ended up settling for Jon Lester.

Catch

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Catch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:42 pm

FAST MONEY, apparently SACK did not understand your question. Bidding on "free agents" during in-season, u bid strong on players that are of need/want due to injury or poor performance. By all star break you should have $200+ remaining and when September arrives, u want $50+ ($10 per week). Hope this answers your question.

Money

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Money » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks Catch. I'm new this year and just trying to educate myself.
Joe

CC's Desperados

Free Agent Auctions

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:52 pm

Originally posted by Catch:

FAST MONEY, apparently SACK did not understand your question. Bidding on "free agents" during in-season, u bid strong on players that are of need/want due to injury or poor performance. By all star break you should have $200+ remaining and when September arrives, u want $50+ ($10 per week). Hope this answers your question. Is dinner on you in Vegas?

Did your name disappear off the sign up page for the lower level leagues?

Chest Rockwell

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Chest Rockwell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Originally posted by Fast Money:

Thanks Catch. I'm new this year and just trying to educate myself. hardest thing to adjust to in this game

not much anyone can do to help you either b/c every league is it's own beast

i do like catch's advice for rule of thumb though

biggest mistake newbies make is hording too much money

not many players on waivers that will have a huge impact after July 1

those that do are scooped up on a big overbid by the guy that did keep his stack high

Money

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Money » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Like I said I'm new. Was this directed to me? I can afford to buy dinner, not sure I want to. I plan on joining the ultimate group and getting schooled for a year.

Thanks.
Joe

Money

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Money » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Like I said I'm new. Was this directed to me? I can afford to buy dinner, not sure I want to. I plan on joining the ultimate group and getting schooled for a year.

Thanks.
Joe

CC's Desperados

Free Agent Auctions

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks. No Catch..sorry

CC's Desperados

Free Agent Auctions

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks. Sounds like fun!

[ February 07, 2010, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: CC's Desperados ]

Money

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Money » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks CC
Joe

CC's Desperados

Free Agent Auctions

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks CC I'll take a Whopper at the break!

Money

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Money » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:24 pm

You got it!!
Joe

Catch

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Catch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Lower level leagues?

[ February 05, 2010, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Catch ]

Sack

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Sack » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:02 pm

CHEST:

"and know when to back out when the bidding on Phil Hughes gets out of control. Sometimes it pays to have the shorter stack. I ended up settling for Jon Lester."

That sure was alot of fun! Paid for that bid the rest of the season. Glad I can look back on that now and have some laughs. Hope to see you out in Vegas.

KM

Sack

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Sack » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:06 pm

TOM Z WEST:

Nice CATCH on your part. I read the title page and didn't realize Easy Money was speaking about the FAAB.

You are MUCH better equipped to discuss both easy money and faab dollars. You've always been much better at holding on to both. Some would say EXPERT. ;)

Sack

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Sack » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:09 pm

DESPERADO:

"I'll take a Whopper at the break!"

Only shot you have here is if the Vegas Burger King has a buy one GET one free coupon in circulation. Trust me on this one. ;)

Greg Ambrosius

Free Agent Auctions

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 pm

How about some insight into past free agent auction strategy's? Spend early? Save for late? Your thoughts. I don't have any FAAB strategy, but looking up last year's results for each league and then seeing where diamonds in the rough like David Aardsma went last year is a good starting point. By looking at past history, you'll see where some owners saw him getting the closer's job earlier than others and how little they paid for him. Then you'll see what the variances in prices were for him once he was named the closer. He's just one example. There are others throughout the year.

Anyway, you can find 2009's FAAB listings week by week by going to:

Just go to General NFBC Discussion Forum

In the upper right hand corner pull down the screen that says "Show Posts From Last 45 Days" to "Show Posts From Last Year"

Then you'll have like 31 pages or something. Find the first weekend of the baseball season, like April 11th date. There you'll see a thread called Week 1 Winning FAAB Bids. All of them are listed there. And then just keep going back each week (April 18, April 25, etc.) and you'll find all of the week's listings. There you'll see where some guys like David Aardsma went before they became fantasy stars and how much they went for. Things like that.

I hope this helps.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius