Saving You Time On Sunday With FAAB

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:02 am

One of our biggest concerns for NFBC members is making sure you're not spending all day Sunday working on free agent pickups. Through the years we've changed rules and upgraded our back-end system to make sure you still have a life on Sundays.

Our latest time-saver involves the ability to export the free agent list into excel. You guys asked us to create this so that you can save time finding the players you want to bid on and Fanball has created this. It will be available right off the bat in 2010. Hopefully this will allow you to save plenty of time and to manage multiple teams in the NFBC if you choose to do so.

In the past, we set a Sunday morning deadline for adding callups to MLB rosters for the simple reason that we didn't want you clicking refresh all day Sunday to see if that hot prospect from Triple-A got called up to the majors on Sunday afternoon. If he's not in the FAAB list first thing Sunday morning, he's not going to be added later. Yes, sometimes that stinks when you want to pick this guy up before anyone else hears about it, but in that case you just have to bid accordingly the next week.

We will take more requests here if you have suggestions to improve your Sundays. On my Live Chat on Friday, here was one more that I sent to Cory and his team:

"One change I would like to see is the ability to have a conditional bid in a higher dollar amount than your primary bid. If I want Zobrist more than Aardsma, but I think that Aardsma will cost more, I should be able to place a lower primary bid on Zobrist and a higher conditional bid on Aardsma. I think this would be a significant addition. I see no reason why your first pick has to be the highest bid amount."

We'll see about that. But keep 'em coming and lets find a way to make sure Sundays are more enjoyable for you. We know there are other options for you in this market, but make sure those options have back-end setups that meet your needs and don't tie you down on Sundays. Time is money and we totally understand that here.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 am

This is great news Greg. If you can get the conditional bids to allow for higher bids that would be awesome. I can't think of any other additional upgrades at this time. Thank you

Jason
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:16 am

Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

This is great news Greg. If you can get the conditional bids to allow for higher bids that would be awesome. I can't think of any other additional upgrades at this time. Thank you

Jason Thank YOU. You guys suggested this and I'm glad Fanball quickly implemented this. We're going to unveil the online draft site this week and we look forward to your suggestions there, too. But for me nothing is more important right now than the FAAB setup. They are finalizing the Conditional Bids, Move, and Copy features now and we'll have everything in place there soon, too. And I've heard it's been improved. So we're on a roll now, but will need some testing yet. All is good.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:17 am

Great news Greg. Anything that speeds up FAAB is worth its weight in gold for me. I have a request. Can you set up a screen that shows all available free agents by position in "one" viewable screen. This way there is no scrolling up and down one position at a time. I know people may want to keep that in place, but maybe this could be in a different screen that you click on to get a one look shot at the free agents. Almost like how Fanball does with their Diamond Challenge list of players on one screen, I know the font will be smaller for this look but if I could scan one sheet per league that would be very helpful.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:18 am

Originally posted by la Jolla:

Great news Greg. Anything that speeds up FAAB is worth its weight in gold for me. I have a request. Can you set up a screen that shows all available free agents by position in "one" viewable screen. This way there is no scrolling up and down one position at a time. I know people may want to keep that in place, but maybe this could be in a different screen that you click on to get a one look shot at the free agents. Almost like how Fanball does with their Diamond Challenge list of players on one screen, I know the font will be smaller for this look but if I could scan one sheet per league that would be very helpful. Sending to Fanball now. Keep 'em coming.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:19 am

forgot to mention. This second screen would obviously not have any stats attached, just the players names.

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:22 am

How about a feature to tag a player for all of our teams? For example a new closer emerges on Sunday. It would be nice to add to the watch list of all our teams this player from one place rather than going into every team.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:49 am

A feature that I hope continues from last year's NFBC, but for some reason wasn't available for the NFFC, is the ability to sort available free agents by percentage owned and/or percentage started.

Another feature I'd like to see is one I know Fanball uses for the NFBBC, but I don't recall if STATs had it for last year's NFBC. I'd like the ability to sort for the various categories for different time frames ie. the entire year, past 7 days, past 14 days, etc.

I'm not sure if my next request is IT possible, but would be helpful for those of us with more than one NFBC team. If I like a free agent for multiple teams, is there a way that I can tag him for pickup for all those teams at once? I could then go into the FAAB link for each individual team and change the bids and/or drops if necessary, but it would save searching for that player up to 10 times if you have 10 teams so far(hint).

The last issue doesn't concern the FAAB programming directly, but affected the way I handled my FAAB. One thing I loved from STATs last year was their Live Standings....it updated immediately (slowly but immediately). This was very beneficial on Sundays. Since most games were complete by the time FAAB had to be finalized, the Live Standings gave you an accurate & up to date idea of what you needed going into the next week without having to wait for Monday morning's updated official standings or doing the math by hand Sunday night. This really helped during the season's final weeks as I battled for money spots and a run here or homer there meant the difference between hundreds or thousands of dollars and you could make the corresponding pickups. I just want to make sure this is still in place for the coming year. In addition, I think it should be expanded to the overall standings where even more money is in play.

Thanks again Greg for taking our suggestions and applying those that are doable and make sense.

Catch you soon,

Glenn

[ February 07, 2010, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:51 am

Greg, how about an alert feature that will allow us to know, in real time, as soon as Shawn Childs adds a player to his watch list! :)

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:08 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

Jason Thank YOU. You guys suggested this and I'm glad Fanball quickly implemented this. We're going to unveil the online draft site this week and we look forward to your suggestions there, too. But for me nothing is more important right now than the FAAB setup. They are finalizing the Conditional Bids, Move, and Copy features now and we'll have everything in place there soon, too. And I've heard it's been improved. So we're on a roll now, but will need some testing yet. All is good.
[/QUOTE]GREAT to hear Greg. make sure they have all the FAAB players for a certain position on one page (like STATS did that last year).

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:10 am

How about a feature to tag a player for all of our teams? For example a new closer emerges on Sunday. It would be nice to add to the watch list of all our teams this player from one place rather than going into every team. DITTO

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:13 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

A feature that I hope continues from last year's NFBC, but for some reason wasn't available for the NFFC, is the ability to sort available free agents by percentage owned and/or percentage started.

glenn - this sounds like a "sheep" request!! lol

;)

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:15 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Another feature I'd like to see is one I know Fanball uses for the NFBBC, but I don't recall if STATs had it for last year's NFBC. I'd like the ability to sort for the various categories for different time frames ie. the entire year, past 7 days, past 14 days, etc.

DITTO - I think I mentioned this to Greg last year and they DID add "last 30 days" or something like that.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:19 am

Originally posted by Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

glenn - this sounds like a "sheep" request!! lol

;)
[/QUOTE]Baaaaaaa..... ;)

The RoundTrippers

Post by The RoundTrippers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:23 am

heres an idea....would/should we consider moving free agent deadline till 9 pm est??? i have read about a bit of east coast bias and makes some sense to me. i know most of us are watching the sunday nite game as well and that game or info that comes out during the game could have some influence. and lets admit guys/gals none of us are going to bed before 10ish so dont use "i need to get to bed as an excuse." beauty sleep..... i can understand for most of us!!!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:28 am

Originally posted by The RoundTrippers:

heres an idea....would/should we consider moving free agent deadline till 9 pm est??? i have read about a bit of east coast bias and makes some sense to me. i know most of us are watching the sunday nite game as well and that game or info that comes out during the game could have some influence. and lets admit guys/gals none of us are going to bed before 10ish so dont use "i need to get to bed as an excuse." beauty sleep..... i can understand for most of us!!! Totally on board with this.....

and honestly if I had one big complaint about STATS when it came to FAAB, its that they took so damn long to post the results. Fanball is definitely quicker....we'll probably get the results at the same time even with the later deadline.

Glenn

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:38 am

I'm on board here also. the later the better for me.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:40 am

heres an idea....would/should we consider moving free agent deadline till 9 pm est??? i have read about a bit of east coast bias and makes some sense to me. i know most of us are watching the sunday nite game as well and that game or info that comes out during the game could have some influence. and lets admit guys/gals none of us are going to bed before 10ish so dont use "i need to get to bed as an excuse." beauty sleep..... i can understand for most of us!!! with a newborn, i'm going to bed between 8.30 - 9pm every other night.

plus, why give an advantage to guys who get to see some of the Sunday night game while some may be working?

i'd prefer it to stay at 8pm.

The RoundTrippers

Post by The RoundTrippers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:45 am

i see this one gaining steam....i think its fair to move back an hour. not many people work sun nite as a whole so i say foot on the gas. i think its a reasonable middle ground.

Red Sox Nation

Post by Red Sox Nation » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:47 am

I also prefer to keep it at 8PM. The results usually get posted around 8:30PM and then some of us have to set lineups for multiple teams. I don't have access at work on Monday so Sunday night I enter all lineups. It can all add up to another 1-2 hrs after the bids close.

I'm on board either way but my preference would be 8PM

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:07 am

I also prefer to keep it at 8PM. The results usually get posted around 8:30PM and then some of us have to set lineups for multiple teams. I don't have access at work on Monday so Sunday night I enter all lineups. It can all add up to another 1-2 hrs after the bids close.

I'm on board either way but my preference would be 8PM agreed.

Finkel

Post by Finkel » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:41 am

Originally posted by Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

I'm on board either way but my preference would be 8PM agreed.
[/QUOTE]8pm Please

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:45 am

keep it at 8pm. 9pm is a bad idea imo.

Post by 751542 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:55 am

isnt ironic all of the east coasters are chiming in??? west coasters must be still asleep....
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:59 am

i see this one gaining steam....

;)