Live Chat With Todd Zola On Wednesday At 9 EST

Money

Post by Money » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Thanks for all of the input Todd.

Earlier you talked about 90 saves competing in the leagues. What are your numbers for the other 9 category's? Do you have a specific number for the main event in each category and if you're doing just a super league how would that number change? Thanks for your time. As you can see I'm new. Any direction for 15 league strategy's would be appreciated.
Joe

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Originally posted by pinstripepower:

I have taken BRETT GARDNER (NYY) IN BOTH MY DRAFTS 13RND OR LATER. I FEEL HE WILL GET AT LEAST 400 AB AND POST AT LEAST 40SB 90RS.CAN YOU TELL ME IF I AM WAY OFF BASE HERE? OR I AM GETTING GREAT VALUE OUT OF THOSE SPOTS THANK-YOU I don't KNOW, I can only offer my opinion.

And that is you are a mite too optimistic.

Well, I think you are twice as optimistic as I am -- I am looking at 200 Ab with 20 bags.

Winn was not signed to sit and now Thames is in the picture.

I love Gardner in AL only for a single digit bid and I can see him being a reserve in the Main with the Friday rule to maybe use for a 4 game set on Mon to Thurs if you need steals.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

swampass

Post by swampass » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:59 pm

hey todd. great read! thanks for all the info.

are aaron hill and zobrist for real at 2nd? can lind keep his k's in check enough to duplicate last season?

any chance of milledge re-breaking out in pitt this year?

thanks!!

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Originally posted by Fast Money:

Thanks for all of the input Todd.

Earlier you talked about 90 saves competing in the leagues. What are your numbers for the other 9 category's? Do you have a specific number for the main event in each category and if you're doing just a super league how would that number change? Thanks for your time. As you can see I'm new. Any direction for 15 league strategy's would be appreciated. Mentioned it before that I really don't believe in marrying myself to a number, I use loose target of 280-300 HR and 160 SB.

But if I am 15 steals from my goal and there is a more complete player available than say, I don't know, Brett Gardner, I will not take Gardner just to eclipse my goal. I would prefer the more overall useful guy, even if it means missing my target. I have 26 weeks to grind out those missing bags.

As for strategies, I want to compete in all 10 categories and let the season dictate how I micro-manage each.

This is regardless of whether the guy to my right is punting starters and the guy to my left is punting saves and the one across from me is punting steals. All these alternative (not gimmick, but alternative) strategies do is alter the path I take to achieve the same means.

What this means is HYPOTHETICALLY, I can compete in 2 different leagues and end up with the exact same team. But in one league I took Jones in round 8, Smith in round 9 and Adams in round 10 and in the other league, it was reversed. The order was dictated by what was going on around me, but not the targets.

In reality, it will not be the exact same 23 obviously, but the overall composition of the squads would be similar.

Subscribe HERE

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Originally posted by swampass:

hey todd. great read! thanks for all the info.

are aaron hill and zobrist for real at 2nd? can lind keep his k's in check enough to duplicate last season?

any chance of milledge re-breaking out in pitt this year?

thanks!! Hill's power is real if you temper expectations to mid 20s HR and not anticipate 30. His HR/FB spiked a ton and is going to regress. And since he actually hit fewer fly balls, he is in some danger of really coming down if that trend continues. But I think he nestles in around 25 knocks which is fine so long as you don't pay for 30.

Zobrist's power is even better than Hill's as he has sustained an outstanding >17% HR/FB the past 2 campaigns. I would temper my steals expectation, but Zobrist is a better bet for 30 dingers than Hill.

Always a chance with a guy like Milledge. But chances are I am not willing to pay what it takes to find out.

Subscribe HERE

Money

Post by Money » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:15 pm

OK, Cool, so what is the composition?
Joe

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Originally posted by Fast Money:

OK, Cool, so what is the composition? Balance.

If at all possible, infield early with some speed from a 2B or SS. NOTE-- This is not "scarcity" in the classic sense but more because....

I am finding some great OF value next, then I look at pitching and let the first 10 picks dictate the next 10.

I want to be competitive enough in every category that I can strategically micro-manage to maximize points.

If sitting Josh Willingham doesn't cost me a thing in HR/RBI and playing Gardner can get me 2 pts in steals, I do it.

Subscribe HERE

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:26 pm

OK gang, I guess we'll call it a night. Any more questions -- I am not too hard to find.

Thanks for your interest.

Subscribe HERE

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Todd,

Thanks again for your time tonight and your willingness to share all your thoughts about the upcoming baseball season.

Greg/Tom/Fanball/NFBC,

Thanks for scheduling Todd's chat and others. Always helpful and, just as important, enjoyable to read.

Rich
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:49 pm

And so it goes. Little ole Walla Walla is kicked around like a dirty rag. :eek:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Originally posted by ToddZ:

-- let me ask you a question. Do you feel my answers tonight are honest, well-thought out and credible? Do I at minimum explain my reasoning, so you can decide if you "believe" me?

If the answer is yes, than THAT is what makes Mastersball special. If you have a question on a projection or a concept or why I took Billy Butler in the 6th round of my site mock, YOU CAN ASK ME!!!

Sure, we stand by our projection model and valuation methodology. But that does not make us special. What makes us special is each and every one of us is accessible via a message forum or comments attached to a blog or site essay. And you get myself. You get Lawr Michaels. You get Brian Walton. You get Rob Leibowitz. You get JP Kastner. People can joke about or chastise Tout Wars and LABR all they want, but you get first hand access to guys that play in the most prestigious industry leagues. Not their staff, but them. [/quote]

Can't we just PM you guys here and save the couple bucks? ;)

Seriously Todd, I do visit your website on occasion and find you and the Mastersball & Creative Sports staff very interesting & informative.

This chat is a good example of the insights that you guys provide.....nice job & thank you.

Greg, great job so far this year on getting some industry studs to help us prepare for the baseball season with these chats.

One of the things that seperate your message boards from those of your competitors is this kind interaction you provide with those that have had success in the industry.

Thanks....Glenn