The disconnect of players and fans

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:48 pm

Roger Clemens gets eighteen million for one year. I only use Roger because his is the latest contract to come out. The average worker in the US makes 37,000 a year. If you were to work from the age of 19 to 62 you would make 1.5 million. Of course that’s if you made the average. If you were a brain surgeon from the age of 19 to 62 you’d make 17 million based on 400 thousand a year. Roger throws a baseball. If he wins he gets half a million. If he loses he gets half a million. So when Joe Fan takes his kids to the only baseball game they can afford for the year sticker shock strikes. He blows more money than he can afford. Hey it’s only once a year so the 300 he spends for his kids is worth it.

After all Roger is pitching. So Roger pitches 2 innings and gets pulled for a injury after giving up 5 runs. The injury? He tore a finger nail. Joe Fan sticks it out the rest of the game for his kids. He really wanted to go home early because his back is killing him from running a jackhammer for 8 hours. The next day even though his back is killing him he heads off to work. He can’t afford to miss any time after spending 300 to see Rodger with the kids.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:09 pm

Your point?

The wonderful thing about our economic system is that those with extraordinary skills can "sell" themselves for whatever the "buyers" are willing to pay.

Interestingly, some skills that are not valued by some are valued highly in the open market, such as sports skills, acting skills and modeling skills. Mathemeticians and carpenters are less valued. Does that make sense? Maybe not, but that's the way things are.

It's up to each individual to balance his skills and preferences versus what they are worth. As they say, "what a country".

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:39 pm

I gave up a lucrative modelling career because I didn't like this hypocrisy...
Just Some Guy

devilznj

Post by devilznj » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:42 pm

Just a crazed form of supply and demand at its best. Now in a more equitable world, the baseball owners should be able to comfortably live off their television money and pay all their players nice salaries (with maybe the highest salary $1 million a year). The fans, in turn, pay no more than $10 for a ticket to watch a live game. Everyone wins and baseball stays the American pastime. Unfortunately, a silly term called "greed" finds its way into any situation it can sneek it's ugly head.
Happy Recap

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:44 pm

The point? JP, Your dumber than I thought!

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:18 pm

Nice to see such smart responses. It really does have to do with the economic system in place. You really don't have to pay it and if you don't Clemens won't get his due, but if you do, who else is going to get it? Would you really feel that much better if it was going to the billionaire owners? Anyway, I get my local (pro) team's season tickets for two people at a rate of $320 for 20 games, so if you're paying $300 for one game you ought to think about moving or switching teams or something. That's the only way that capitalism works. Old ballparks really aren't too bad when you factor in the price; you're still paying to see the same product: a professional baseball game.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:58 am

bjoak, Man your smart! All one has to do is quit thier job and move to get a good price on attending a baseball game. I bow to your great insights! ;)

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:10 am

I sort of meant that in jest, though you can choose if *you're* in a two-team market, which many people are. The point is that if you're getting ripped off, you shouldn't buy the product. Bring the demand down and prices will follow.

Also, I guess I'm wondering what in hell team you are taking your kids to see that it costs $300. Or are you just happening to take them to Game 6 of the World Series? It seems like you are talking about Houston but they sell mini-plans of 27 games for as low as $270, so unless you have 26 kids...? Most stadiums are accessible via mass transportation and you can pack a lunch. It should cost you $100 max for 3 tickets to a game. Maybe the Yankees are really pricey, but again, that's a two-team market. Do you insist on sitting in the owner's box or next to the umpire? I have so many questions! Please respond!

[ January 22, 2005, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: bjoak ]

DiamondKing

Post by DiamondKing » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:20 am

To add my humble opinion on this subject.Owners will charge as much as fans are willing to pay.To use my local team the Dolphins for an example.My understanding is the teams in the NFL turn a profit off of tv contracts alone.Leaving all parking,munchies,and fans tickets as profit.Yet we still get our annual price hike.I am an advocate of capitalism,a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay.The yankees were purchased 32 years ago for 10 million dollars,I would not forsake George one penny of his profit when he decides to sell.
All pigs are created equal.Some are more equal than others.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:53 pm

Nice to see the board is populated by believers in Ayn Rand's philosophies.

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:41 pm

I'm sorry, did you say 'Dolphins?' I know all 30 teams and I never heard of them.