Slow Draft Etiquette

Bobby D

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Bobby D » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:27 pm

Does anyone think it is ok to google a person's name in your league and call their home to have them make a pick? Well, apparently someone in my league thought it was ok to google my name and call my home to harass me into making my pick 11 hours and 15 minutes before it was due.

Well, unfortunately for me I am at work and cannot get into the draft room due to firewall issues. This also means my wife is the one at home getting harassed by the phone call from a guy she doesn't know.

I had informed my league earlier in the day that I would be working and wouldn't be able to make my pick until 7am.

Just a little note to those of you thinking of joining a slow draft. The season doesn't start until April, it is February 22nd. If you can't deal with NORMAL delays in the draft process, DON'T sign up for slow drafts. They apparently are not for you.

Geoffrey Stein

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Geoffrey Stein » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Bobby,

If you're stuck behind a firewall and need a pick made, feel free to e-mail me at: gstein@fanball and/or [email protected], and I will make the pick for you.

Thanks much.
Geoffrey Stein - (No Longer)Senior Editor, Fanball.com (R.I.P.)
[email protected]
AIM: gstein729

Bobby D

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Bobby D » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:34 pm

thanks Geoff, I will take you up on the offer in the future. My wife made my picks for me tonight. I just didn't appreciate someone calling my home phone number harassing me to make my pick.

Gekko

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Gekko » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:38 pm

googling your name and calling you...that's a first. no way i would stand for that. i'd post the guys name here so we can all avoid him like the plague.

one thing i will note after being in a couple slow drafts is that some people don't have access during the day and can tie up drafts all day long. frustrating for all owners except that one. some owners take it upon themselves to seek "revenge"...in the form of having it out with the owner in the chat box, slowing down their picks out of spite, etc...

in fine, while it's shocking someone would call your HOME, it doesn't surprsie me. some people are aholes

CC's Desperados

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

googling your name and calling you...that's a first. no way i would stand for that. i'd post the guys name here so we can all avoid him like the plague.

one thing i will note after being in a couple slow drafts is that some people don't have access during the day and can tie up drafts all day long. frustrating for all owners except that one. some owners take it upon themselves to seek "revenge"...in the form of having it out with the owner in the chat box, slowing down their picks out of spite, etc...

in fine, while it's shocking someone would call your HOME, it doesn't surprsie me. some people are aholes I guess it helps when you go under an alias.

Gekko

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Gekko » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

I guess it helps when you go under an alias. good point

Catch

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Catch » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Some SICK people play this game. When I started reading this topic, 1st thought was GEKKO, my apologies.

Gekko

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Gekko » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Originally posted by Catch:

Some SICK people play this game. When I started reading this topic, 1st thought was GEKKO, my apologies. I WOULD NEVER CALL SOMEONE. people have 12 hours to make their picks. some may be slow, but most are fast. have patience.

Bobby D

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Bobby D » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:02 pm

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

in fine, while it's shocking someone would call your HOME, it doesn't surprsie me. some people are aholes I guess it helps when you go under an alias.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, guess I will be doing that in the future.

CC's Desperados

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:05 pm

Originally posted by Bobby D:

Does anyone think it is ok to google a person's name in your league and call their home to have them make a pick? Well, apparently someone in my league thought it was ok to google my name and call my home to harass me into making my pick 11 hours and 15 minutes before it was due.

Well, unfortunately for me I am at work and cannot get into the draft room due to firewall issues. This also means my wife is the one at home getting harassed by the phone call from a guy she doesn't know.

I had informed my league earlier in the day that I would be working and wouldn't be able to make my pick until 7am.

Just a little note to those of you thinking of joining a slow draft. The season doesn't start until April, it is February 22nd. If you can't deal with NORMAL delays in the draft process, DON'T sign up for slow drafts. They apparently are not for you. In an earlier draft, we tracked down two players via the internet. Before the draft, it was clearly stated the time frame the group was looking for to draft. On more than one occasion we tried to get contact information., but there was no response. With 13 players in the draft room with no communication, we decided to track down one of the two players.

By the way, why is a phone call considered harassment?

MadCow Sez

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by MadCow Sez » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Some people forget the SLOW portion of a slow draft. I've done several over the last 2 years and the average seems to be 2 rounds/day totaling 3 weeks.

I am as excited about the next guy to see what my early season prognostications will reap....but c'mon y'all. Calling someone at home is out of line if they haven't told you to call them. Try that with me and all you'll do is **** off my wife and make yourself look silly.

Some people can't access the internet while working. Some of us have days when we don't see the inside of a building all day. Deal with it and hold yer horses.

You want speed? Join a regular satellite. NFBC offers several would be glad to have your business. They're fun, fast, and you'll get your gratification earlier.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

CC's Desperados

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:06 pm

quote:Originally posted by Catch:

Some SICK people play this game. When I started reading this topic, 1st thought was GEKKO, my apologies. I WOULD NEVER CALL SOMEONE. people have 12 hours to make their picks. some may be slow, but most are fast. have patience. [/QUOTE]It makes sense since you don't answer the phone either!

JohnZ

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by JohnZ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Some SICK people play this game. When I started reading this topic, 1st thought was GEKKO, my apologies. I WOULD NEVER CALL SOMEONE. people have 12 hours to make their picks. some may be slow, but most are fast. have patience. [/QUOTE]I love it when someone screams, rants and raves the first ten rounds and then they get unexpectedly tied up all day for their pick and don't apologize. :rolleyes:

Gekko

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Gekko » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Some SICK people play this game. When I started reading this topic, 1st thought was GEKKO, my apologies. I WOULD NEVER CALL SOMEONE. people have 12 hours to make their picks. some may be slow, but most are fast. have patience. [/QUOTE]It makes sense since you don't answer the phone either!
[/QUOTE]is that you?? i don't normally answer 'restricted' calls. i'll give you a shout later this week or weekend.

CC's Desperados

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Originally posted by MadCow Sez:

Some people forget the SLOW portion of a slow draft. I've done several over the last 2 years and the average seems to be 2 rounds/day totaling 3 weeks.

I am as excited about the next guy to see what my early season prognostications will reap....but c'mon y'all. Calling someone at home is out of line if they haven't told you to call them. Try that with me and all you'll do is **** off my wife and make yourself look silly.

Some people can't access the internet while working. Some of us have days when we don't see the inside of a building all day. Deal with it and hold yer horses.

You want speed? Join a regular satellite. NFBC offers several would be glad to have your business. They're fun, fast, and you'll get your gratification earlier. I won't enter a slow draft unless it takes a week. Being in the draft room for three weeks sucks the life out of you.

Quahogs

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Quahogs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:11 pm

CC's Desperados

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:11 pm

quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

[/QUOTE]is that you?? i don't normally answer 'restricted' calls. i'll give you a shout later this week or weekend.
[/QUOTE]40 more times and you might answer!

Gekko

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Gekko » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:11 pm

Originally posted by JohnZ:

Some SICK people play this game. When I started reading this topic, 1st thought was GEKKO, my apologies. I WOULD NEVER CALL SOMEONE. people have 12 hours to make their picks. some may be slow, but most are fast. have patience. [/QUOTE]I love it when someone screams, rants and raves the first ten rounds and then they get unexpectedly tied up all day for their pick and don't apologize. :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]yep, seen that one too

CC's Desperados

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:

Jupinka...have you been working out?

eddiejag

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by eddiejag » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:35 pm

quote:Originally posted by MadCow Sez:

You want speed? Join a regular satellite. NFBC offers several would be glad to have your business. They're fun, fast, and you'll get your gratification earlier. I won't enter a slow draft unless it takes a week. Being in the draft room for three weeks sucks the life out of you.
[/QUOTE]Totally agree no more than two week's.Nothing worse when you have the one guy who just refuses ever to make a quick pick.My buddy Aaron just completed his slow draft today and it took a month.I wont be doing any this year it just get's me pissed off.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Bobby D

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Bobby D » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:46 pm

quote:Originally posted by Bobby D:

Just a little note to those of you thinking of joining a slow draft. The season doesn't start until April, it is February 22nd. If you can't deal with NORMAL delays in the draft process, DON'T sign up for slow drafts. They apparently are not for you. In an earlier draft, we tracked down two players via the internet. Before the draft, it was clearly stated the time frame the group was looking for to draft. On more than one occasion we tried to get contact information., but there was no response. With 13 players in the draft room with no communication, we decided to track down one of the two players.

By the way, why is a phone call considered harassment?
[/QUOTE]A phone call to a number I never gave out is considered harassment to me. However, the harassment didn't end with a phone call. My wife made my picks for me and stated this on the message board and asked that noone call the number again. Then the person who called thought it would be funny to freak my wife out by using her real first name he got from the voicemail. She had no clue how he knew her name was freaked out.

This isn't my first slow draft and I had NO issues getting my picks in on time the last draft. I wasn't planning to make the league wait 12 hours this time either. I had emailed doughboys with my logon information to make my picks as he picked right after me.

If someone decides not to leave contact information, I see no reason why this gives anyone the right to look up his information via the internet or by any other means to get a hold of him to make a pick. The only time I am unavailable to make picks are when I am at work. I see no reason to give out my contact information when I can't take cell phone calls at work and I obviously am not at home to answer the phone. I get the emails when my pick is up, so there should be no other reason for me to give my contact information to anyone in the league?

The Franchise

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by The Franchise » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:50 pm

I totally disagree with this thread.

I think that a Slow draft should be done by people who actually have a flexible schedule. If you don't, then those should be doing Satellite drafts where the draft date and time is fixed and you can plan ahead and draft without it interfering with your work schedule/family time etc.

Nothing worse than having a bunch of guys on at night and 1 or 2 guys don't show up all night...
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

Bobby D

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by Bobby D » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Originally posted by The Franchise:

I think that a Slow draft should be done by people who actually have a flexible schedule. If you don't, then those should be doing Satellite drafts where the draft date and time is fixed and you can plan ahead and draft without it interfering with your work schedule/family time etc.

Nothing worse than having a bunch of guys on at night and 1 or 2 guys don't show up all night... So why can't the people who have flexible schedules and loads of free time just join Sat. Leagues with draft dates and times? They have plenty of free time to schedule it? It goes both ways actually. I can see why people would join a slow draft and not have flexible hours. A slow draft is SUPPOSED to allow someone 12 hours to make their pick, if that time frame is not supposed to be realistic, maybe it should be changed to prevent people from freaking out when someone is taking a break from Fantasy baseball.

Either way, I don't fall into your category of drafters anyways. I had no intentions on making people wait for my picks and I haven't done so in previous drafts. Like I said previously, I was called 45 minutes into my pick. By those standards, I doubt anyone is available to make their pick within an hour every time. If those are your expectations, I suggest you are joining the wrong kind of drafts.

The Franchise

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by The Franchise » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Originally posted by Bobby D:

quote:Originally posted by The Franchise:

Nothing worse than having a bunch of guys on at night and 1 or 2 guys don't show up all night... So why can't the people who have flexible schedules and loads of free time just join Sat. Leagues with draft dates and times? They have plenty of free time to schedule it? It goes both ways actually. I can see why people would join a slow draft and not have flexible hours. A slow draft is SUPPOSED to allow someone 12 hours to make their pick, if that time frame is not supposed to be realistic, maybe it should be changed to prevent people from freaking out when someone is taking a break from Fantasy baseball.

Either way, I don't fall into your category of drafters anyways. I had no intentions on making people wait for my picks and I haven't done so in previous drafts. Like I said previously, I was called 45 minutes into my pick. By those standards, I doubt anyone is available to make their pick within an hour every time. If those are your expectations, I suggest you are joining the wrong kind of drafts.
[/QUOTE]Your right. Slow drafts are not for me. I'm able to pick within minutes if not seconds when my pick comes up.

Hey, everyone is different. I'm just giving my opinion.

FYI. My wife would call yelling at me to make my freak'n pick so these weirdos stop calling the house. ;)

[ February 22, 2010, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: The Franchise ]
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

MadCow Sez

Slow Draft Etiquette

Post by MadCow Sez » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Originally posted by The Franchise:

Nothing worse than having a bunch of guys on at night and 1 or 2 guys don't show up all night... Three words, Franchise: deal with it

I do slow drafts so I can explore a few different concepts for the main event and to see how players are being valued while trying to make some cash...none of which a mock gives you. I will take more time than normal to adjust things as I see fit to hit a concept if I need to.

Will I take my 12 hours? Not if I can help it. If things play out right, I never take more than 5 minutes to make a pick because I can time the turns. I will say that I consider it a courtesy to let the league know when I'll be available or not. That way when I'm not going to be around, they don't have to sit and wait for the immortal words...."NOW IT'S YOUR TURN!"

What do you say to time zones? Any idea how many time zones Hawaii is from the mainland?

Slow drafts are just that....slow. The very nature allows people with differing schedules, access, plans, lives to stay involved in the contest. Slow drafts by their nature are convenient to me.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby