Utterly Ridiculous

Gekko

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:05 am

I'll start off by saying that I won't be posting my team until after next week's event, and I hope that everyone in my league or anyone who saw it will not divulge it.

But I will say the starting pitcher run in my Atlantic City league was SO FAR OUT OF THE NORM, that many teams got left with their pants down (including me).

Here were the starting pitchers OFF THE BOARD by my pick in the mid FIFTH round...

Lincecum

Halladay

CC

Hernandez

Haren

Greinke

Lester

Wainwright

Santana

Beckett

Hanson

Carpenter

Gallardo

Vazquez

Jimenez

Kershaw

Brett Anderson went in the 7th? Lackey in the 7th? Weaver in the 7th? Gavin freak'n floyd went in the 8th!?!?!? JA Happ in the 12th?!?!?!?

Many teams tried to "wait out" the SP run, but the end never came as SP continued to be pushed at breakneck speeds.

It certainly threw me off my game and my team looked NOTHING like the team I thought I would have after prepping for months...as I had to play constant SP catchup. Pretty sick feeling. :(

[ March 21, 2010, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Gekko

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:09 am

Also, one team had 6 pitchers in his first 9 picks.

Red Sox Nation

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Red Sox Nation » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:16 am

Originally posted by Gekko:

I'll start off by saying that I won't be posting my team until after next week's event, and I hope that everyone in my league or anyone who saw it will not divulge it.

But I will say the starting pitcher run in my Atlantic City league was SO FAR OUT OF THE NORM, that many teams got left with their pants down (including me).

Here were the starting pitchers OFF THE BOARD by my pick in the mid FIFTH round...

Lincecum

Halladay

CC

Hernandez

Haren

Greinke

Lester

Wainwright

Santana

Beckett

Hanson

Carpenter

Gallardo

Vazquez

Jimenez

Kershaw

Brett Anderson went in the 7th? Lackey in the 7th? Weaver in the 7th? Gavin freak'n floyd went in the 8th!?!?!? JA Happ in the 12th?!?!?!?

Many teams tried to "wait out" the SP run, but the end never came as SP continued to be pushed at breakneck speeds.

It certainly threw me off my game and my team looked NOTHING like the team I thought I would have after prepping for months...as I had to play constant SP catchup. Pretty sick feeling. :( Must have created some nice offensive players dropping. It all evens out.
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

ALL-IN JD

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:16 am

Mark, that is totally sick. We just finished the super and it was just the opposite ( I got Anderson at 9.6 and I thought that might be a touch early).

Jeff

Bama

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Bama » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:16 am

A geekko with their pants down, sure am glad i was'nt there to witness that.

Dirt Dogs

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Dirt Dogs » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:22 am

So what your "really" saying is that pitching went "normal to late" so your hoping people read this and jump on pitchers early leaving all the offensive guys to fall in your lap.

How can one believe what your saying? I like what you did but some of us believe what Obama is saying before I believe what your saying with drafts still taking place.

Nice try Gekko!
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

Dirt Dogs

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Dirt Dogs » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 am

And to add another .02 if this is in fact the truth (which I doubt) it goes to show what multiple entries allowed in the main event will do to the event.

The person that took 6 pitchers early i'd say 100% has another team drafting next weekend so he is trying to see what a all pitching team will do thus ruining the pitching pool in that league. You can afford to do this because he can then draft his second team to "normal" standards. If you have multiple entries you can afford to think outside the box with one of your teams.

But people say this dosent change anything...

Thunder

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Thunder » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:33 am

we had a hell-uv-a pitcher run in StL #1 also. i believe there were 16 SP's taken in Rds 4-5 alone.

maybe that's the norm this year, mark?

you just have to adjust and go on.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

LONG GONE

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by LONG GONE » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:45 am

Your Ace must be Josh Johnson?

billywaz

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by billywaz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 am

Originally posted by Dirt Dogs:

And to add another .02 if this is in fact the truth (which I doubt) it goes to show what multiple entries allowed in the main event will do to the event.

The person that took 6 pitchers early i'd say 100% has another team drafting next weekend so he is trying to see what a all pitching team will do thus ruining the pitching pool in that league. You can afford to do this because he can then draft his second team to "normal" standards. If you have multiple entries you can afford to think outside the box with one of your teams.

But people say this dosent change anything... Yea, I'm willing to throw down $1,400 to see if a bunch of pitchers early works, and then wait completely on pitching the next week for $1,400 more! :rolleyes:

The Main event is not the place to try some "hokie" strategy. Both teams are likely dead money!

People and their "having two teams is a huge advantage" conspiracies. :rolleyes:

If you can't draft, you will suck.....PERIOD! :D

And P.S.....I have ONE team. ;)

[ March 21, 2010, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: billywaz ]

Glenneration X

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:58 am

I was in this draft also...unfortunately....and Mark is being 100% honest.

It was strange to witness.

The strangest part is it came out of nowhere....around a turn, where 10 out of 13 picks were pitchers. Obviously with the run around a turn, there were a few teams involved that doubled up.

I think once one team did it, a panic set in.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, this happened early, and completely changed the dynamic of the draft for the rest of the draft.

Glenn

Dirt Dogs

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Dirt Dogs » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:59 am

Whos to say taking pitchers early dosent work? I could care less about people having more than one team. Just making a statement about why I think some people would be more likely to try it thats all.

Gekko

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:04 am

Originally posted by Dirt Dogs:

And to add another .02 if this is in fact the truth (which I doubt)it is 100% true

Gekko

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:07 am

Originally posted by Red Sox Nation:

Must have created some nice offensive players dropping. It all evens out. it evens out in the league, sure, but it might not when playing for the 100K. some teams are so SP depleted (maybe mine), the 100K could be a pipe dream, regardless of their offense

RichV

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by RichV » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:09 am

No doubt it was true. It was the 4th - 5th round turn where it all went wacky. While it was happening, it left most of us from 6 on down thinking WTF is going on???

Gekko

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:09 am

Originally posted by Kentucky Reign:

you just have to adjust and go on. of course. however, i was SO shocked i had to take the full minute and pass my pick. i didn't want to make an "on tilt" decision and take a ricky nolasko or josh johnson at 5.6 so i decided to take my time and get the right guy.

Gekko

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Gekko » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:16 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

The strangest part is it came out of nowhere....our facilitator kept the draft moving. we finished our draft while the other AC drafts were in round 20 :eek: :eek:

i'm wondering if his quick pace helped caused a panic? if he's my facilitator in NY, I might have to bump pitcher up a little ;)

Thunder

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Thunder » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 am

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

The strangest part is it came out of nowhere....our facilitator kept the draft moving. we finished our draft while the other AC drafts were in round 20 :eek: :eek:

i'm wondering if his quick pace helped caused a panic? if he's my facilitator in NY, I might have to bump pitcher up a little ;)
[/QUOTE]this is "classic"....the facilitator aided in the SP run.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION

Hells Satans

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Hells Satans » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:24 am

Originally posted by fireballs:

Mark, that is totally sick. We just finished the super and it was just the opposite ( I got Anderson at 9.6 and I thought that might be a touch early).

Jeff Agreed on this. We had several guys in the Super draft taking a LIMA-like approach, which resulted in a huge number of position players (particularly OFs) being taken 30-50 spots ahead of their ADP (the ones sent around last week) by the 10th round. I failed to adjust properly and, frankly, thought I had a terrible draft as a result.

The Mighty Men

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by The Mighty Men » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:37 am

Lincecum

Halladay

CC

Hernandez

Haren

Greinke

Lester

Wainwright

Santana

Beckett

Hanson

Carpenter

Gallardo

Vazquez

Jimenez

Kershaw

It certainly threw me off my game and my team looked NOTHING like the team I thought I would have after prepping for months...as I had to play constant SP catchup. Pretty sick feeling. :( I'm actually surprised by your post. You have often trumpeted your ability to be prepared for a draft, and how it takes skills to win at baseball. And quite honestly, I expect that from you and respect that part of your game. Isn't part of being skilled at this game being ready for any ebbs and flows at a draft?

Now maybe it surprised you, but if some players were taken early, that means others are falling.

Based on your posts in the past, I never would have expected you to say that something "threw you off my game". I thought you would be prepared for anything and everything. Seriously, and I'm not trying to give you the business.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

sportsbettingman

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by sportsbettingman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:45 am

Damn suicide drafter causing a panic run!!! :D ;)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Thunder

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Thunder » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 am

i feel like Monk..i'm "LOL" laughing at this thread....especially considering who started it.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION

TOXIC ASSETS

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:57 am

This scenario is EXACTLY why I have always believed that you better take an ace early on. Year after year there is plenty of hitting. Year after year there is a lot less reliable pitching. Yet most people continue to try to win with hitting. There are going to be teams in this league that are at a disadvantage, right out of the gate.

MGBMARTY

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by MGBMARTY » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:58 am

I was in the same league with Mark and Glenn and it was really shocking the SP run. Glenn took Felix at 3-11 I usually will not take a stater till 5-6 turn but when Greinke was there at 4-3 had to take him than the madness started. I took JJ in 5th who I would have taken as my SP 1 but pitching run was incredible.

Marty

Thunder

Utterly Ridiculous

Post by Thunder » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Originally posted by TOXIC ASSETS:

This scenario is EXACTLY why I have always believed that you better take an ace early on. Year after year there is plenty of hitting. Year after year there is a lot less reliable pitching. Yet most people continue to try to win with hitting. There are going to be teams in this league that are at a disadvantage, right out of the gate. i TOTALLY disagree with this..there's always pitching out there. you don't have to have a top 15 SP to win.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION