viper

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by viper » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:36 am

deleting post now that there are Friday registrations

[ February 09, 2005, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: viper ]

Tom Kessenich

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:40 am

viper, you're right the times are a little too tightly bunched. We'll have STATS make the change moving NY back to 10 a.m. and Chicago to 9 a.m.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

viper

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by viper » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:44 am

thanks - now what to do on Friday night. Times Square / ESPN Zone isn't that far away. Hope it's not too cold.

Greg Ambrosius

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:44 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Hey Guys...Just got caught up on the 7 pages...

I'm curious as to what it is that makes people want to play in AL only or NL only leagues.

I understand the strategies of the auction-styled drafts...but can't think of a reason whay you wouldn't want the entire pool of players to draft from. (Other than super-depth...and thus the more prepared has the advantage.)

...old old-school drafters who don't like the DH.

~Lance The Founding Fathers actually set up the rules for AL-only or NL-only leagues because they more closely resembled actual major league teams. In other words, a 23-man roster in AL-only or NL-only leagues consist of stars and scrubs. They would look at Mixed Leagues today and call them all-star teams. So die-hard Rotisserie players like the idea of finding a 50 at-bat player as your 23rd man and coming up with 4 homers and 8 stolen bases. It's crazy, but true.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

sportsbettingman

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:53 am

Thanks Greg...

That does make sense...and could be great. I just like that all-star type team I guess.

I do feel I could draft 40 deep in a 15 team league, and still be excited at who I got in the last round...so maybe down the road I'll try one of those out.

Personaly...I'm still battling with myself as to what's holding me back from sending in the payment for Vegas...it's not the money...maybe guilt...as it seems (to my wife) like I was just there.

It may be that I'm not nearly as prepared as I should be heading into such an event...but I can cram fast, and know most all of the players anyway.

My friend wants to go halves...but I don't like to mix friends and $$$...nor do I want another person influencing my selections. (He's just cheap).

Hmmmm...maybe I'll respond to the deadline of almost missing out. If Vegas cannot expand to more demand...and you're down to the last few spots...I'd most likely jump in then. (Not sure why I'd wait)...why am I writing all this?

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Gordon Gekko

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:25 am

I'm curious as to what it is that makes people want to play in AL only or NL only leagues. good question. some people like driving honda's (NL/AL) and some people like driving bmw's (Mixed).

with that said, mixed is clearly the best format. you don't see an NFC/AFC auction league in football, do you?

Gordon Gekko

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:27 am

My friend wants to go halves...but I don't like to mix friends and $$$...nor do I want another person influencing my selections. (He's just cheap).pay me a grand, and i'll send a gekko robot to draft your team according to my cheatsheets. you'll be in the money from the start

Gordon Gekko

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:31 am

Originally posted by seefer:

Instead of expanding every team's bench to 7 slots, what if each team was given a "DL slot" where they could stash one of there guys if he is officially put on DL? This way, you could keep the 6 bench spots and the free agent pool wouldn't be so depleted. your way is better than last year. but, having 7 slots with no restrictions is better.

Greg Ambrosius

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:09 pm

Thanks Greg...

That does make sense...and could be great. I just like that all-star type team I guess.

I do feel I could draft 40 deep in a 15 team league, and still be excited at who I got in the last round...so maybe down the road I'll try one of those out.

Personaly...I'm still battling with myself as to what's holding me back from sending in the payment for Vegas...it's not the money...maybe guilt...as it seems (to my wife) like I was just there.

It may be that I'm not nearly as prepared as I should be heading into such an event...but I can cram fast, and know most all of the players anyway.

My friend wants to go halves...but I don't like to mix friends and $$$...nor do I want another person influencing my selections. (He's just cheap).

Hmmmm...maybe I'll respond to the deadline of almost missing out. If Vegas cannot expand to more demand...and you're down to the last few spots...I'd most likely jump in then. (Not sure why I'd wait)...why am I writing all this?

~Lance Lance, it's obvious you need to give me a call tomorrow at 715-445-4612, ext. 284. I just have this feeling I can push you over to our side! :D You're tipping so badly now a little push would bring you into the NFBC! The baseball and Las Vegas bugs haven't bitten you yet because it's only February, but come March you're going to be mad if you get left out of this fun contest. Would a Corona or an MGD from me in Las Vegas tip the scales in our favor! :D I tend to buy them anyway, but I thought I'd throw that in.

We're going to find a way to expand in Las Vegas as we're already working on that eighth league. I don't want to jeopardize the setup, but I have more space this year than I had last year and we had room for 8 leagues. I think I can fit 9 now and I'm still fighting to buy more space. So don't let Las Vegas make your decision, just give me a call and I'll close this deal faster than Eric Gagne can close a save in the ninth inning! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:08 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

i'll throw this out to anyone, including greg/tom:

do you think any fantasy sheep can beat my team(s) this year?

GG - Like the photo ... just in case you consider my team among the "sheep" - not only do I think I will beat you in the NFBC this year, I'd be willing to put a friendly NFFC-05 Auction Lge entry on it. I'm not sure I'll beat 300 guys, but I do like my chances against a fantasy football player in sheep's clothing.

Gordon Gekko

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:47 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

GG - Like the photo ... just in case you consider my team among the "sheep" - not only do I think I will beat you in the NFBC this year, I'd be willing to put a friendly NFFC-05 Auction Lge entry on it. I'm not sure I'll beat 300 guys, but I do like my chances against a fantasy football player in sheep's clothing. no one thought i could do well in football, but i showed ya. you're right, i'm really a fantasy football player first, then a fantasy baseball player. the baseball season is too long. i will be outsourcing the day-to-day operations of any teams i have a financial interest in.

the only chance you have of beating me is placing in the top 10 this year and hoping my team gets hit with injuries.

Patsy Dean

Hump Day Chat Has Begun

Post by Patsy Dean » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:23 am

This looks to be fun.