Monday Afternoon Chat

Tom Kessenich

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:02 am

Hey folks, it's a new week so let's get revved up with another chat. As always, the floor is yours for the taking so whatever is on your mind today be it the NFBC, Jose Canseco or anything else you'd like to chat about, this is your time to do so. So let's have at it.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:29 am

Greg will be posting more info in another thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that we've purchased additional space for Vegas so if the sign-ups keep coming for Sin City we'll be able to accomodate everyone.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Edwards Kings

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:36 am

Forget Vegas....who wants all that glitz, glammer, and girls....The Windy City is going to be where all the real pros will be!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Cooperstown

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Cooperstown » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:37 am

Hey Tom,

A little busy here today, but I'm trying to not let work get in the way of baseball.

What do you think of the Sheets signing? If I'm Milwaukee, I try to lock this guy up for a few years.

Edwards Kings

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:41 am

But would they be able to afford him? Would he want to stay (i.e. no closer, Branyan at 3B....ech!)?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Tom Kessenich

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:47 am

Originally posted by coops:

Hey Tom,

A little busy here today, but I'm trying to not let work get in the way of baseball.

What do you think of the Sheets signing? If I'm Milwaukee, I try to lock this guy up for a few years. I think the Brewers will try to lock him up if they can, but he may price himself out of their reach. That's life for the Brewers and one of the numerous reasons why they've been so bad for so long. This is a big season for Sheets. He easily had a career year last year so now we'll find out if that was a fluke or an indication he's finally put it all together.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Edwards Kings

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:52 am

It might have been a career year, but I am thinking he is the real deal. If the Brewers wanted to trade him to Atlanta, I will go ask Bobby Cox if he would part with Horatio AND Brian Jordan!
Charles Krauthammer

Tom Kessenich

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:53 am

I think I'll pass on any deal involving Brian Jordan.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Edwards Kings

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:57 am

Well, OK. Darn.

For the group, whom do you think will have the greatest impact, McPherson or Atkins?
Charles Krauthammer

Cooperstown

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Cooperstown » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:59 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

quote:Originally posted by coops:

Hey Tom,

What do you think of the Sheets signing? If I'm Milwaukee, I try to lock this guy up for a few years. I think the Brewers will try to lock him up if they can, but he may price himself out of their reach. That's life for the Brewers and one of the numerous reasons why they've been so bad for so long. This is a big season for Sheets. He easily had a career year last year so now we'll find out if that was a fluke or an indication he's finally put it all together.
[/QUOTE]The 1 year does buy Mil some time but if Sheets has another good year, they'll wish they signed him now. I believe a lot of Sheets' success is attributed to Maddux. He did good for some of their other pitchers too. Mike may not have been as good a pitcher as his brother, but he's a better coach.

Greg Ambrosius

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:02 am

All right, boys. We have beaten out the sewing convention for additional space at the Rio for the Saturday main event and we're ready to fill that space up with competitors. :D We have 224 spots filled as of today with 27 days left to sign up. Don't delay as those final spots will go fast. I'm pumped!

Now, let's talk some baseball. Forget about the Brewers as Tom can talk intelligently about any team outside of our area code. We don't live and die Brewers up here in Wisconsin. We do live and die with the Packers, but not the Brewers. So let's talk baseball outside of Wisconsin, too.

Someone tell me who is starting in centerfield in Arizona. Someone tell me where Jay Payton will play (I don't see him staying in Boston). Someone tell me why so many people think Sammy Sosa will turn it around in Baltimore. I need answers.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Cooperstown

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Cooperstown » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:14 am

I like McPherson with about 100 more AB's then Atkins, so I take him.

BackToFoulke

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by BackToFoulke » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:18 am

How about Santana signing to stay with the Twins? (4 yrs around $38 mil) This is good for baseball. Even though as a Red Sox fan I thought about him on my team next year this is good for the game.

[ February 14, 2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: BackToFoulke ]

pancho11

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by pancho11 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:19 am

Hey Tom

I dont know if you guys keep records but would there be any way to post the draft results from on one of last yrs mixed auctions with dollar values?

Just Curious

Thanks

Tom Kessenich

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:25 am

I wouldn't be able to post the results, but if you want to get a hard copy, just e-mail me ([email protected]) with your mailing address and I can get something in the mail to you.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

ALLACC82

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by ALLACC82 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:40 am

Tom, I'd like to get a copy of the Mixed Dollar Auction also. I'll send you e-mail. Thanks.

Question...Who closes for Toronto? They do not believe they can re-surrect Billy Koch?

viper

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by viper » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:52 am

Thanks for the quick answer to my player eligibilty questions. I was beginning to run all my numbers and these guy appeared on the horizon. Not exactly in the forefront but they were in the distance. By the time we draft, a few of them my be important - who knows.

Ken

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Ken » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:56 am

That might take Tom and Greg awhile since there was no mixed auction league last year. Don't tell them though, I want to see how long they look ;)

Cellar Dwellers

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:03 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Someone tell me who is starting in centerfield in Arizona. Someone tell me where Jay Payton will play (I don't see him staying in Boston). Someone tell me why so many people think Sammy Sosa will turn it around in Baltimore. I need answers. [/QB]What, Jose Cruz is not starting in CF for ARIZ?

Payton should be a very usefull 4th OF, playing all 3 OF spots for BOST. And why anyone thinks Sosa will turn it around in Baltimore is beyond me. .268 31 HR, 89 RBI is about as best you can hope for.

Spyhunter

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:05 am

Greg, I do think Sammy will turn it around in offensive paradise (also known as Baltimore)... Sammy needs love - he was pouting all year after the corked bat fiasco. I seem him getting motivated and putting on a HR show. I guess 40

Chris

Tom Kessenich

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:07 am

Originally posted by Ken:

That might take Tom and Greg awhile since there was no mixed auction league last year. Don't tell them though, I want to see how long they look ;) That's true. Just an FYI for everyone, the only results we have are for the NL- and AL-only auction leagues.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

seefer

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by seefer » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:28 am

I don't even remember Mixed Auctions taking place last year. Aren't those new for this year? Thus, there wouldn't be any results from the auction day...

Or was I on the couch that day listening to Queens of the Stone Age with the munchies... :cool:

Gordon Gekko

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:51 am

do you think many people will have the following feelings on draft day?

- Fears of Embarrassing Yourself -

- Excessive Worrying -

- Nausea/"Nervous Stomach" -

- Fear of Losing Control -

Spyhunter

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:54 am

gordon, you drafting in NY or Vegas? If in vegas, lets have a drink - I can't wait to compare teams.... Are you doing the mixed league drafts on Friday?

Ken

Monday Afternoon Chat

Post by Ken » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:04 am

On a side note I had a nice little conversation with Bob Bowman president of mlb.com yesterday who just happened to be sitting at his computer when I sent him a scathing email. Kind of shocked me when he replied almost immediately (must have hit a nerve).

What I got from his side was basically that mlb does not want to change the Roto game that die hard fans are accustom too, they want to add to that games that make it easier for new fantasy baseball players to enter into the market. Probably salary cap games like CDM offers and a good possibility why CDM was denied a license. He claims there will be more licenses granted in 05 than there were in 04 and that he looked forward to the court case with CDM as did the players associations of MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA.

Now I believe he honestly feels he can recoup his investment through increased numbers brought to fantasy baseball, but I don't believe for a second that when those numbers fail to materialize that he won't raise license fees, eliminate the competition, steal customers or anything else he has to do to try and turn a proffit on his 50 million dollar investment.

So the fantasy world will now focus it's attention on the lawsuit in St Louis as it's results will have ramifications across all fantasy sports as well as video games, and whichever side wins will effect your pocketbook one way or another. Root hard for CDM if you'd rather spend your extra money on beer and strip joints as opposed to it finding it's way back to Joe Pro and ending up as new spinners on his Escalade :rolleyes:

As for this years fantasy baseball season, other than a delayed start, it doesn't look like anyone else will be denied a license and all you fence sitters waiting to see how things turn out before jumping into the NFBC can now take the plunge and lock up one of the final few spots for what will be the grandest show in the history of fantasy baseball. I'm getting really excited :D