Final Call To NFBC Ultimate Participants

Kimo

Post by Kimo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:08 pm

The reason why I would like the Ultimate to remain a 15 team league is because it is exactly what I prepared for. All the information that was provided to me by NFBC was all based on a 15 team, mixed format league. I believe that Todd Z was also nice enough to provide data that was very helpful in preparing for a 15 team league. I also have experience and feel very comfortable doing a 15 team, mixed league auction. By adding one more team, you are adding $260 more of auction money, and also $1000 FAAB money. This does make it a bit of a different game for me. I also prepared by studying FAAB money used last year for all of the leagues with a 15 team format. Not to mention the first thread, the Ultimate draft was presented was on Nov 22nd. Maybe I'm wrong but It was never mentioned this might be more than 15 team league.

Even though I was one of the first ones to sign up, I have no problems with throwing all of the names in the hat and the first 15 picked get to stay in the league. If owners feel that this is a fair process, I will support this.

I also will support what Greg thinks is best for NFBC. If he comes back out and says that he wants to do a 16 team league, I will support this as well. Just looking forward to getting this resolved so that I know which direction the Ultimate league is going.
Jim Ferrari

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:51 pm

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

jimwiz and others, Thank you for providing the proof that the $5000 league is not the best players. Just those that have money to burn. The "I'm first" thing just shows that you have money so you think you should get what you want mentality. So you were lucky enough to find out about it before others. That doesn't give you the God given right to set the rules. There really are no rules. This is the first time this is being done. Others want in than they should be let in. If your scared it may be too hard than what the heck are you doing here?????? Not that it matters, but did someone claim this was a league of the 'best' players? I don't recall seeing that...

Dave
Just Some Guy

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:36 am

DYV, Your right. Had nothing to do with the point of allowing others to play.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:02 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

DYV, Your right. Had nothing to do with the point of allowing others to play. I agree - my previous posts here support letting as many people play as want to get in. I'm with you on that issue

Dyv
Just Some Guy

seefer

Post by seefer » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:51 am

Walla, I don't know why you get so angry over this issue?

The fact is that these leagues were being sold on a "first come first serve" basis. That's all. First 15 are definitely in (in each league).

Haven't you ever heard of things being sold on a first come first serve basis? Things are sold all the time like that, and they have absolutely nothing to do with "God given rights"!!!

I am not scared of bringing in more teams. Shux, I beat 194 people in last year's NFBC. :cool:

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:21 am

Originally posted by seefer:

Shux, I beat 194 people in last year's NFBC. :cool: I assume you mean 193, but yeah, nice job last year.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:30 am

seefer, This has all been unoffical. Where on the NFBC web site does it say first come first served? Its all been talk on the messege board.

True if you go to a store where theres a limited supply of something its first come first served. In this case theres plenty of spaces to sell. You don't see customers in a store saying you can't sell anymore because I bought mine. You'd tell Greg he can't sell any more because you got yours? Heck the NFBC doesn't even have to host this. If Greg decides to allow 16 or even 20 teams seems fair.

seefer

Post by seefer » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:06 am

KOQ, thank you. You caught my error. I guess only Artie beat 194 last year...

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:33 am

Artie beat ME 194 times. Sure felt that way...

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:47 am

I feel that 15 teams is ideal and makes the most sense to me. I assume most of us in the Ultimate are also in the Saturday drafts as well. I can certainly live with 16 teams (maybe 17), but above that it would start to have a bigger impact on preparation. However, whatever Greg decides is Ultimately his decision (pun intended) and will be OK by me.

On the subject of first come, first served; I have to agree 100% that if people are going to be shutout of the event it should be the last ones in. My partner and I committed VERY early and were told that we were guaranteed a spot. That's a bonus for loyalty and trust that should not be broken. I would be severely disappointed if committing the first day did not account for a guaranteed spot.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:23 am

Okay, two things this morning: 1) I started this thread to see if there were any Ultimate fence-sitters and at this point there doesn't seem to be any. We have 34 owners who have committed to me a strong desire to play and the finances to pay when asked. So I've decided to cap our debut Ultimate Leagues at one for the Auction and one for the Draft. Obviously, some guys are going to be left out.

I will not throw all of the names into a hat as there certainly needs to be a reward for stepping up to the plate first. Don't anyone worry about that. It will be the first 15 or 16 teams in each league and that's it. I'm leaning toward 15 as I don't want anyone complaining about me changing the rules after the fact, although initially I had hinted at 16 with payouts for four spots. Honestly, I think 16 teams and 29 rounds would be a more Ultimate contest and I'm surprised by the feedback from guys who are so informed about players, but that's okay.

I'll try to reach out to everyone first thing this week and finalize this by Wednesday. I have one other hurdle involving the Sunday draft in Las Vegas I must clear first and that's taking preference right now. More details coming soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:42 am

Greg i like the idea of 16 and a 4th place.Would you throw the other extra players in a hat to see who gets the last 2 spots .That would atleast give everybody left a chance of getting in.This is also a good lessen to players who sit on the fence thinking they have time. BAD [ass]ANGELS
EDWARD J GILLIS

Nevadaman

Post by Nevadaman » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:22 am

Due to the surprising level of WUSS shown thus far, Greg will have to have the same rules: 15 teams, 30 rounds. I think 16 teams 30 rounds would be more of an ultimate, but some here would rather show off their estrogen levels than sack up. The way I see it, if you can't lengthen your cheat sheets to accomodate an extra 30 players being drafted, you weren't going to win anyway! Come to think of it, that should make me happy.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:28 pm

Just to clarify, I'd go with 29 rounds if we had 16 teams, which means 14 extra players. It's 15 teams and 30 rounds or 16 teams and 29 rounds, with an extra $4,200 in the prize pool for one more team.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

bustouts

Post by bustouts » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:39 pm

Guys, it looks like i will be the team left out of the Ultimate Draft if we stay at 15 teams. I really dont see the difference in draft preparation if there are 16 teams. There will be more prize money and since I was not in the NFBC last year, i should be at a disadvantage. Granted, the teams will be somewhat weaker but we will all be on a level playing field. Please reconsider expanding to 16, as i would really enjoy the challenge.

thanks

david

Sack

Post by Sack » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:13 pm

Greg, I thought Eddie Gillis aka Bad Angels had a solid suggestion about 16 teams and a final drawing for the last 2 spots amongst the last signups. This way loyalty is served and it gives the last few a fighting shot. Although I'd still prefer 15 teams, I don't see a major problem now considering where we have ended up.

Nevadaman

Post by Nevadaman » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:23 pm

I definitely don't like going from 30 rounds to 29, regardless of the number of players. That brings way too much luck into the equation. Before last season, I wouldn't have thought that one extra guy on the bench could be so critical, but I found out otherwise when my players started to go down. As a result I had to release players I wanted to keep just to fix injuries. IMHO, Going from 29 rounds to 30 was the most positive change made by the NFBC this year and I'd hate to take a step backward.

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:51 am

15 teams 30 rounds!!!!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:39 am

Okay, I'm in the process of calling all of the Ultimate League participants today to get final verification in their interest and credit card numbers. Please give me a call at 715-445-4612, ext. 284 if you can or otherwise expect a call from me soon. I'm trying to finalize the first 15 in each league and need to get this finalized this week.

My goal would be to finalize this by Wednesday or Thursday and announce draft picks no later than Monday, Feb. 28th for the Ultimate Draft League and the Ultimate Auction League. Once we have that done, there's a few other announcements I need to make with each league.

Anyway, here's the list I have to date. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

NFBC ULTIMATE AUCTION LEAGUE

1. Kevin Rogers, Las Vegas

2. Jim Ferrari, Las Vegas

3. Lewis Lipsey, Las Vegas

4. Ken Magner, Las Vegas

5. Shawn Childs, Las Vegas

6. Michael Fishman, Las Vegas

7. Glenn Schroeter, New York

8. Brad Feinberg, Las Vegas

9. Meat Loaf/Jeffrey Price, Las Vegas

10. Kelly Uganski, Las Vegas

11. David Longood, Las Vegas

12. Yoni Bornstein, New York

13. Ari Benjamin, New York

14. James Bores, New York

NFBC Ultimate Draft League:

1. Stanley Kaye, Las Vegas

2. Aaron Seefeldt, Chicago

3. Nevadaman, Las Vegas

4. George Kleemann, Chicago

5. Will Robertson, New York

6. Jason Duponte, Las Vegas

7. Rick Thomas, Las Vegas

8. Eric Peden, Las Vegas

9. Dave Cushard/Clark Olson, Las Vegas

10. Ken Norred, Las Vegas

11. David DiDonato, Las Vegas

12. Howard Markowitz, Las Vegas

13. Eddie Gillis, New York

14. Rick Kanfer/Donn Johnson, Las Vegas

15. Christopher Fleming, New York

16. Terry Haney, Las Vegas

17. Joe Passaro

Just so everyone knows, the drafts will start at 1 p.m. EST, noon CST and 10 a.m. PST. We have meeting rooms reserved in Chicago at the Embassy Suites for the two drafters there and meeting rooms reserved for the New York drafters at the New York Hilton. You must be able to go to both of those locations to draft.

The Las Vegas drafters will be together, but it might not be at the Rio. More on that soon.

Okay, let's finalize these 15-team leagues and get the draft orders selected. I'm ready when you are.

[ February 23, 2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:03 am

I will update that list above as I contact people. We just lost one from the Auction League.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:33 am

Okay, I've updated the list on the previous page again. Getting closer to 15 and 15.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:12 pm

16 teams is good by me. Lets roll out the draft order. Is your daughter up to the task??

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:02 pm

Oh no, she's not touching these draft picks. ;) Not with $40,000 on the line. It's Kessenich and you can all line up to blame him later! :D

I still need to finalize these leagues tomorrow. I've reached almost everyone and as you can see we've lost three guys this week. We're at 31 right now and I'm working hard to keep 15 in the auction league. We should have this finalized before the end of the week as I have credit cards for over 20 guys. I just need to talk with a few more owners and then we should be good to go.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:41 am

Okay, slight change of pace here. Eddie Gillis was one of our first signups for the Ultimate League and he was torn about doing a long distance Auction League. Eddie has now switched to the Draft League, so we now have a surplus there and 14 for the Auction League. I need to check with Terry Haney to see if he's still interested in switching to the Auction League as right now he's listed in the Draft League.

But right now we're at 14 and 17. We'll get this resolved soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius