NFBC Two Weekends

DOUGHBOYS

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:24 am

When Greg announced that there would be two weekends in the NFBC, there was a lot of sentiment that the NFBC would never seem the same.

I like having the choice to draft in two different cities. I like having the choice in weekends. In short, I like choice.

This year it worked perfectly for me. Our daughter was interning in Indianapolis. We hadn't seen her since Christmas. My wife is now conditioned that March means NFBC draft. (That took five years :D ) So visiting her was a no-brainer.

I'm a cheap bastard so we never fly, if we don't drive, we don't go. This year a road trip to St. Louis and Chicago bookended a great visit with our daughter in between.

I know the purists think that two weekends is not a good thing. That's fine, but it couldn't have worked out better for us this year.

Any other stories or thoughts?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Frozen Tundra

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by Frozen Tundra » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:45 am

I positively support the two weekend format. I live in NYC and was pleased to have two alternatives to participate in the main event this year. I could have made it to either AC or NYC (ultimately chose Citifield) but it's almost certain there would be times I or anyone here could not be available in one weekend. Life is full of expected and unexpected. This contest relies on participation as much as on competitivity, and more choices mean more participants.

The issues with this format are minimal and inconsequential IMO to scrap it and go back to the one weekend format. As overall standings show, the first weekend teams are alive and kicking and I believe will be there to contend at the end of the season.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

Hawk

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by Hawk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:35 am

What do I think?

I think given 16 of the top 20 teams in the Overall are teams that drafted on Weekend 2 its going to be hard to get a Weekend 2 draft spot next year.
My NFBC Blog (updated 8-June)
http://slocumbifyagotem.wordpress.com/

Sebadiah23

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by Sebadiah23 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:43 am

Especially since this is a three week contest.
We drove 22 miles, country around Farmington. Signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. Cars,tour bus,cameras;postcards sold.

No one sees the barn,

They are taking pictures of taking pictures
-Don DeLillo
@Sebadiah23, IG:sebadiah26

Sebadiah23

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by Sebadiah23 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:52 am

When referring to the overall, we're talking about extraordinary performances of individual owners within his or her league. I've yet to hear one valid point on what about week 2 would lead to extremely good performances by one member of the league. I personally would think the opposite, because more information at the time of the second week's draft would lead to a more even playing field and thus more normalized results rather than outliers. Am I missing something? What is the logic behind your statement beyond circumstantial evidence based on a non-significant set of data?

I'm expect no answer so it's fine to not try to dream one up.

-Craig K.
We drove 22 miles, country around Farmington. Signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. Cars,tour bus,cameras;postcards sold.

No one sees the barn,

They are taking pictures of taking pictures
-Don DeLillo
@Sebadiah23, IG:sebadiah26

Frozen Tundra

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by Frozen Tundra » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 am

Originally posted by Hawk:

What do I think?

I think given 16 of the top 20 teams in the Overall are teams that drafted on Weekend 2 its going to be hard to get a Weekend 2 draft spot next year. Consider that proportionally: 315 of 435 participants drafted in Weekend 2.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

Chest Rockwell

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by Chest Rockwell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:43 am

Did not take part in both weeks- but loved the concept.

I think the benefits totally outweigh the downside.

Glenneration X

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 am

I did take part in both weekends.

Being a draft junkie as well as a live event junkie, it was like Christmas in March for me. :D

One benefit that's not being brought out here (outside of the Main Event aspects) is that if you'd like to take part in contests besides the Main Event, the dual weekends give you the opportunity to participate in as many different events as you'd like.

Trying to cram a Main Event, an Auction Championship, a Live Double Play, a Super, etc. into one weekend would be a logistical nightmare as well as giving no rest for the weary and no chance to regroup between drafts.

In my case for example, I was able to participate in the Live Double Play & Auction along with my first weekend Main Event, while leaving the Super to be drafted along with my second weekend Main Event. I think that lent itself to a more enjoyable, less hectic experience.

I'd say its obvious I'm a big proponent of the dual weekend concept.

Glenn

[ April 21, 2010, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Walla Walla

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by Walla Walla » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm not going to argue that the two weekend approach is bad. But I missed the feeling of the main event being the big event with everyone drafting at the same time. There was some let down for me. But like I said to start I can't argue with it.

billywaz

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by billywaz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:18 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

I'm not going to argue that the two weekend approach is bad. But I missed the feeling of the main event being the big event with everyone drafting at the same time. There was some let down for me. But like I said to start I can't argue with it. This actually sounded like a POSITIVE post!!! :eek: Who hacked into Walla's account??

As far as the topic, I only drafted one team, but I like the concept of two weekends as well.... more options, and like Glenn said, you don't have to cram everything into one weekend.

Would never work for football, but that isn't the issue here.

Scott Boras

NFBC Two Weekends

Post by Scott Boras » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:57 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

I'm not going to argue that the two weekend approach is bad. But I missed the feeling of the main event being the big event with everyone drafting at the same time. There was some let down for me. But like I said to start I can't argue with it. I agree with this, but with the large majority of teams drafting the second weekend, the second weekend was still the big event. Next year 3 weekends with early bird specials? I'm in! :D