Friday Chat Has Begun

KJ Duke

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:41 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

If we reach 300 teams before March 13 (the official end of our sign-up period) we may keep the registration open to see if we can fill another league. We'll know more about the interest once we get to 300 teams -- which should be real soon.

As far as phone hookups, that could happen. We had it for baseball and football last year and it went off great for both events, so we're not concerned about doing that at all if necessary. Tom, I know you can do it logistically without having a problem, just saying I like to see everyone in the draft rather than watch a phone.

Last year I understand why you did it. But this yr - since it looks like you'll easily fill your quota - why not have all drafts live rather than having one mixed. Of course, if I'm not in THAT one I don't care, but it looks like my odds would be around 1 in 10 for something I'd prefer not to do. Also, putting out a last call to all cities for the final lge (or perhaps 2 in LV) might speed the final run.

On another topic, I see the mixed auction in vegas is getting closer to 2 lges ... I could probably do another, put me down for that too?

King of Queens

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by King of Queens » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:47 am

Originally posted by Ken:

If players in the last full league are spread over three cities I think they would be prefer Greg try to get an even number of leagues in each city rather than having to do a phone draft. If that means going to 315 so be it. Agreed, but it will be interesting to note where the line is drawn. Here are a couple of scenarios:

(1) We somehow wind up with exactly 300 teams with full leagues in each city. Time permitting, are signups still allowed at that point?

(2) At the time we have 300 owners, there are 285 owners that could be put in full leagues, and 15 owners that cannot (5 LV, 5 NY, 5 Chi or 13 LV, 1 NY, 1 Chi or whatever). How does capping the event at 315 ensure full leagues in all cities?

I understand we may need to go multi-city in a single league for this to work, but once you allow for the possibility of having more than 300 teams, it seems like we might need as many as 345 for the "perfect" scenario to occur.

RichV

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by RichV » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:49 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

quote:Originally posted by Patsy Dean:

Hello. I am excited to join in the fun here. This will be my first "roto" experience. We're excited to have you! Rookies are always excellent additions to the contest. [/QUOTE]Mr. Dean, the rookie :confused: Ok,..If you say so.. ;)

fandango

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by fandango » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:56 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

am I the only one who's noticed that no player has yet stepped forward to sue him for slander or libel? Seems to me if he was making all this up the players would be fighting a little harder to clear their names if they were wrongfully accused. none of the players will sue him. his attorney will air all of the players dirty laundy. most players probably got a couple girls on the side. [/QUOTE]very true, nobody will sue Canseco because in order to sue you have to take the stand and NO MLB wants to do that! has never happened and it wont happen, its a good old boys fraternity....In his book canseco tells stories about how he and his teamates used to go "hoggin" to break out of slumps, or even as a joke...they would hook up with the fattest girl in the bar and this Canseco said, is like a ritual among baseball players.....he did it on every different team he was with, always finding willing participants for him and his fellow teammates.....THIS STUFF IS ALL TRUE, no player wants to make their social lives open for ridicule/interrogation.....

BONDS RECORDS SHOULD HAVE AN ASTERISK...just like poor Roger Maris had to!

Pujols may be the only true Natural slugger, the man was overweight most of his adolescents, and you can see he is built like a tree trunk (not cut defintion or veins popping out)

KJ Duke

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:13 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ken:

If players in the last full league are spread over three cities I think they would be prefer Greg try to get an even number of leagues in each city rather than having to do a phone draft. If that means going to 315 so be it. Agreed, but it will be interesting to note where the line is drawn. Here are a couple of scenarios:

(1) We somehow wind up with exactly 300 teams with full leagues in each city. Time permitting, are signups still allowed at that point?

(2) At the time we have 300 owners, there are 285 owners that could be put in full leagues, and 15 owners that cannot (5 LV, 5 NY, 5 Chi or 13 LV, 1 NY, 1 Chi or whatever). How does capping the event at 315 ensure full leagues in all cities?

I understand we may need to go multi-city in a single league for this to work, but once you allow for the possibility of having more than 300 teams, it seems like we might need as many as 345 for the "perfect" scenario to occur.
[/QUOTE]KOQ - Its easy if you put out a FINAL CALL for each city. Everyone knows its their last chance to get in. The 21st league could be conditional based on where G/T think the highest probability of getting an addl 15 signups is.

viper

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by viper » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:17 pm

I admit to having mixed feelings about exceeding teh 300 level. It does put more money in the prize pool but not all that much. I did just look at the rules we all signed up by and there is no mention of any provisions for more than 300 teams. I guess this topic will get a bit more active once we pass the 285 mark. Clearly, no one would anticipate that 300 teams would be split in such a way not to require a 2 or 3 city league so that has to be expected.

Trying to complete leagues in the cities could results in 342 teams if each city had exactly 14 additional teams.

[ February 25, 2005, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: viper ]

nydownunder

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by nydownunder » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:20 pm

Suggestion, as you get closer to 300, certain spots should be pending (held) based upon what city needs to be filled, no?

Using a very simple example to articualte this: what if we have 299 people, and NY and Chicago have exact numbers for their leagues, and the one remaining 14 team league is in Vegas, then why not say its either Vegas or phone connection via Ny/chicago, rather than saying we're still taking additional signups which could create even more logistical problems (ie 2 leagues that require phone hookups).
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

Diamond Dogs

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Diamond Dogs » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:29 pm

Brandon Inge- Breakout or Bust with the Bat?

Does anyone agree that Inge could breakout with the bat this year now that the pressures of catching are gone?

Greg Ambrosius

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:30 pm

Originally posted by :

Hey, I'm not a lawyer or anything but it seems that if I signed up for an event with 300 guys (it states it in the rules) and I landed in second place overall behind signup # 301, I'd have an $85,000 lawsuit right there. Someone should have sued me when I advertised 300 teams last year and kept the prize money intact even though I finished with 195 teams. That would have made me feel better.

Let's get full leagues in each city and finish at 300. That would make everyone happy. We pulled off full leagues in football and we can do it in baseball.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:30 pm

Originally posted by nydownunder:

Suggestion, as you get closer to 300, certain spots should be pending (held) based upon what city needs to be filled, no?

Using a very simple example to articualte this: what if we have 299 people, and NY and Chicago have exact numbers for their leagues, and the one remaining 14 team league is in Vegas, then why not say its either Vegas or phone connection via Ny/chicago, rather than saying we're still taking additional signups which could create even more logistical problems (ie 2 leagues that require phone hookups). The problem with the phone connection is that you could have been the first guy to sign-up in October of last year and you could still get stuck with the phone connection because league choice is determined randomly after sign-ups have stopped. I would prefer saying that "x" number of spots remain in each city to fill out the league.

King of Queens

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by King of Queens » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:29 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Let's get full leagues in each city and finish at 300. That would make everyone happy. We pulled off full leagues in football and we can do it in baseball. Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

If we reach 300 teams before March 13 (the official end of our sign-up period) we may keep the registration open to see if we can fill another league.These statements are somewhat contradictory. Is the goal to get as many owners as possible for this year, or to cap it at 300?

I can already hear Greg saying, "Let's get our 300 owners and then we'll figure it out." This may all be a moot point, but people are just wondering what will happen if we exceed the magic number.

Gordon Gekko

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:52 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

just saying I like to see everyone in the draft rather than watch a phone. i'd like to have the #1 pick overall, but i likely won't. what is the difference between seeing my ugly mug at the draft table or a telephone?

nydownunder

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by nydownunder » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:57 pm

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

just saying I like to see everyone in the draft rather than watch a phone. i'd like to have the #1 pick overall, but i likely won't. what is the difference between seeing my ugly mug at the draft table or a telephone? [/QUOTE]The same as you being able to get a date one way but not the other. :eek:

Top Dawg

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Top Dawg » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:00 pm

I guess it's first things first. That is, getting to 300. Once there, (here comes my broken record speach) I would like to start picking draft positions instead of holding off until we see if we can get another 15 teams. We are drafting in just 3 short weeks and if possible, getting slotted for a draft position a week to 10 days before the draft would be my preference. Since we still need 36 people, it looks like that might take at least a week to 10 days. That makes it pretty darn close to our draft date.

Oh well, lets see how fast we get to 300; then I guess we'll have something to talk about.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Gordon Gekko

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:03 pm

Originally posted by nydownunder:

The same as you being able to get a date one way but not the other. :eek: i can't get a date either way

Gordon Gekko

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:05 pm

Originally posted by Top Dawg:

Oh well, lets see how fast we get to 300; then I guess we'll have something to talk about.

Pete pete, you have it right. hang tight. it will all sort itself out. i do see a lot of MB people getting nervous now....which makes me happy

nydownunder

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by nydownunder » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:07 pm

quote:Originally posted by nydownunder:

The same as you being able to get a date one way but not the other. :eek: i can't get a date either way [/QUOTE]I am glad you have a sense of humour. Wasn't sure. You're slowly growing on me.

newkidintown

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by newkidintown » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:11 pm

I think Greg and Tom are doing a great job of selling this league and working at filling it up to the maximum. That being said, one of the reasons that I got into this league was because there was a cap. I knew that I only had to beat 299 guys for the hundred grand. The difference between first and 5th overall could be what happens in the last week of the season. 3 guys sit because they are nursing sore bodies and their teams have already made the playoffs. 2 other pitchers throw 3 innings because they are getting ready for playoffs. There is a fine line between the skill and luck you need in this league to be successful and having 301 or 315 teams is going to lessen mine or anyone elses chances of taking first place overall.

I am certain that I am going to draft well and make strong free agent moves. That doesnt guarantee me anything though. I am going to need some luck just like everyone else is. I am going to need a little less luck with 300 teams than I would with 315.

If we can get 300 teams for the main event, bring it on. Otherwise, open it up next year to all comers and see if that has an effect on signups.

Greg Ambrosius

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:19 pm

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Let's get full leagues in each city and finish at 300. That would make everyone happy. We pulled off full leagues in football and we can do it in baseball. Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

If we reach 300 teams before March 13 (the official end of our sign-up period) we may keep the registration open to see if we can fill another league.These statements are somewhat contradictory. Is the goal to get as many owners as possible for this year, or to cap it at 300?

I can already hear Greg saying, "Let's get our 300 owners and then we'll figure it out." This may all be a moot point, but people are just wondering what will happen if we exceed the magic number.
[/QUOTE]Glenn, I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves with this speculation. Our goal is not to fill the most spots possible. Our only goal is to fill 300 spots. The 75% prize structure is based on 300 teams. My second goal is to have full leagues in each city. Trust me, I have the count in each city and I know what we need in each one to have full leagues at 300. It's 9-7-4. New York will definitely get there. But it's first-come, first-serve and we'll analyze the numbers as we near 300. Hopefully we can land at perfect numbers in each city when we reach 300.

I don't want a three-city hookup, that's for sure, for the last league. But if it happens, it happens. That's why I suggested possibly going to 315 if it meant reaching full leagues in each city. The extra money would be spread to each league as I wanted everyone to know we wouldn't just keep the revenue. But tonight it's gotten a bit farther than I expected.

Pete, I know you want to know your draft position, but let's hold the fort a bit. We need to finalize all signups and all payments once we're at 300. We'll get the leagues picked and draft spots selected as fast as we can, but we won't rush to judgement. We have 10 employees in Hawaii the next 10 days for our Hawaii Sports Collectibles Trade Conference, so we'll be a bit short-handed this next week with a few things, but can get everything done if we reach 300 soon.

Trust me as we near 300. You trusted me when we were at 165 last year, so why is this year any different?
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

nydownunder

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by nydownunder » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:23 pm

Originally posted by newkidintown:

I think Greg and Tom are doing a great job of selling this league and working at filling it up to the maximum. That being said, one of the reasons that I got into this league was because there was a cap. I knew that I only had to beat 299 guys for the hundred grand. The difference between first and 5th overall could be what happens in the last week of the season. 3 guys sit because they are nursing sore bodies and their teams have already made the playoffs. 2 other pitchers throw 3 innings because they are getting ready for playoffs. There is a fine line between the skill and luck you need in this league to be successful and having 301 or 315 teams is going to lessen mine or anyone elses chances of taking first place overall.

I am certain that I am going to draft well and make strong free agent moves. That doesnt guarantee me anything though. I am going to need some luck just like everyone else is. I am going to need a little less luck with 300 teams than I would with 315.

If we can get 300 teams for the main event, bring it on. Otherwise, open it up next year to all comers and see if that has an effect on signups. I think you overrate luck at this level. We (I too am a newcomer) are up against guys that bring Fantasy Baseball to another whole level - they live and breath this stuff year round. I think the only luck involved is when some guy picking up a player you had lined up to pick nextand he ends up breaking a leg in April (all the while, your second choice, who you end up slecting because the other guy was taken, has a career year). That's luck!

If you look through last year's drafts you will notice that some of the competition leaders, especially the winner, had some fairly ordinary drafts. The hard work spent during the season is what makes the difference and will create that fine line between those taking home some moeny for their wives to spend and those begging their wives to be able to play again next year.

KJ Duke

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:26 pm

just saying I like to see everyone in the draft rather than watch a phone. i'd like to have the #1 pick overall, but i likely won't. what is the difference between seeing my ugly mug at the draft table or a telephone? [/QUOTE]In your case GG, I might prefer the phone draft. Honestly though, it was fun watching you get abused at last year's football auction - over the phone woudln't be the same.

I guess after 18 hours a day on the phone and internet, I prefer dealing with actual live humans when possible. After all, it is an event as well as a competition.

Gordon Gekko

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:30 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Honestly though, it was fun watching you get abused at last year's football auction - over the phone woudln't be the same.

how did i get abused? that one a-hole ran up a player or two on me, but that's the risk of an auction. he won't like what i have in store for him this year though. in the end, i had the best H2H record and the most points scored out of the league. if that is abuse, i guess i'll take it every year.

King of Queens

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by King of Queens » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:31 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Glenn, I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves with this speculation. Our goal is not to fill the most spots possible. Our only goal is to fill 300 spots. The 75% prize structure is based on 300 teams. My second goal is to have full leagues in each city. Trust me, I have the count in each city and I know what we need in each one to have full leagues at 300. It's 9-7-4. New York will definitely get there. But it's first-come, first-serve and we'll analyze the numbers as we near 300. Hopefully we can land at perfect numbers in each city when we reach 300.

I don't want a three-city hookup, that's for sure, for the last league. But if it happens, it happens. That's why I suggested possibly going to 315 if it meant reaching full leagues in each city. The extra money would be spread to each league as I wanted everyone to know we wouldn't just keep the revenue. But tonight it's gotten a bit farther than I expected.As always, Greg, you are a voice of reason. Thanks for the reassurance--you have my faith and trust.

You know how this all got started, right? An unregistered user threatened to sue you!

KJ Duke

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:36 pm

Honestly though, it was fun watching you get abused at last year's football auction - over the phone woudln't be the same.

how did i get abused? that one a-hole ran up a player or two on me, but that's the risk of an auction. he won't like what i have in store for him this year though. in the end, i had the best H2H record and the most points scored out of the league. if that is abuse, i guess i'll take it every year.
[/QUOTE]As I recall, several were repeatedly pushing the bidding last second on you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to what separated you from the pack were FA picks more than the draft.

newkidintown

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by newkidintown » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:39 pm

Originally posted by NYDOWNUNDER:

I think you overrate luck at this level. We (I too am a newcomer) are up against guys that bring Fantasy Baseball to another whole level - they live and breath this stuff year round. I think the only luck involved is when some guy picking up a player you had lined up to pick nextand he ends up breaking a leg in April (all the while, your second choice, who you end up slecting because the other guy was taken, has a career year). That's luck!

If you look through last year's drafts you will notice that some of the competition leaders, especially the winner, had some fairly ordinary drafts. The hard work spent during the season is what makes the difference and will create that fine line between those taking home some moeny for their wives to spend and those begging their wives to be able to play again next year.

I fully agree with you there NY about the moves made during the year being the difference.It helps to have a strong draft though. I dont care though, how much time these guys spend memorizing every stat book and calculating projections up the ying yang. I would not have gotten into this fantasy league if I thought that I was dead money. There are so many intangible factors that weigh into when a guy is selected and when a guy should be picked up as a free agent. I will take my chances against all my respected adversaries. I just want to get this thing started.