Anyone want to share?

Bandit

Anyone want to share?

Post by Bandit » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:18 am

As long as we are getting sentimental, I got roped into my first draft before Al Gore invented the Internet and Fantasy Magazines were the staple of air port news stands.

Our straight draft was on opening day, so I grabbed the local paper with the that day's opening day rosters and just tried to draft the 3rd, 4th or 5th guy in the order on any team, and opening day starters and closers. As with your $260 vs $280 faux paus coops, it wasn't until over 1/2 way that I realized, duh, only about a 2/3's of the teams were playing that day and my "player pool" was rather shallow.

Needless to say, by necessity my first league taught me how to scour the waiver wire.

Oh yeah, will the New York Times run opening day rosters in time for March 19th :rolleyes:

Cooperstown

Anyone want to share?

Post by Cooperstown » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:37 am

Bandit, you got me beat on that one

I doubt opening day rosters will be available when we draft. You can get 40 man rosters now and start crossing names off when they get sent down. That's about the best you can do.

Me thinks the top 360 are pretty much carved in stone by now though.

Edwards Kings

Anyone want to share?

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:20 am

My virgin experience was in a draft league and I had the last pick of the first round and the first pick of the second round. I have no idea who I picked first, but my second pick was Alex Trevino, C, ATL. Lord help us I finished second but way, way behind the first place team.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Dyv

Anyone want to share?

Post by Dyv » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:34 am

That's awesome!

My first fantasy game every was hockey. I know, I'm a young pup - only been playing now for 12 years, but a baseball fan since I was 6 years old (yes, just a few years ago... stop it old man Ambrosius!)

My first baseball league was the following year and (to say the least) there is a BIG difference between fantasy and real life baseball ;)

Hello, my name is Dave... and I'm an addict.

Dyv
Just Some Guy

Cooperstown

Anyone want to share?

Post by Cooperstown » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:11 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of hooked myself. Always liked looking at stats, even as a kid. This will be the perfect hobby for me when I retire. Which can't come soon enough. Damn, work gets in the way of baseball too much.

I have to say that I almost quit this a few years back. Being commissioner in a league where few people replyed to emails, unfair trades that got owners whining, other owners not helping out and even one year having an owner quit... right after the auction. No lie. He got up and said he couldn't handle the pressure any more. I knew I should have got his money up front. :mad:

But that's why these contests are going to be so popular. Unless you're in a league where everyone understands and helps out, this is the way to go.

First time in a contest like this and I can't wait!

JohnZ

Anyone want to share?

Post by JohnZ » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:45 pm

Originally posted by coops:

Yeah, I'm kind of hooked myself. Always liked looking at stats, even as a kid. This will be the perfect hobby for me when I retire. Which can't come soon enough. Damn, work gets in the way of baseball too much.

I have to say that I almost quit this a few years back. Being commissioner in a league where few people replyed to emails, unfair trades that got owners whining, other owners not helping out and even one year having an owner quit... right after the auction. No lie. He got up and said he couldn't handle the pressure any more. I knew I should have got his money up front. :mad:

But that's why these contests are going to be so popular. Unless you're in a league where everyone understands and helps out, this is the way to go.

First time in a contest like this and I can't wait! Coops, you are my typical customer.