Auction League Updates

Greg Ambrosius

Auction League Updates

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:20 am

As expected, we are ecstatic about the response for the NFBC's main event this year as we currently have 275 signups and will hit 300 shortly. We have the potential to have full leagues in each city, so there is no reason at this point to even discuss going above 300. Next 25 get in and we'll deal with the final numbers then.

As happy as I am with the NFBC turnout, I'm just as happy with the response to the auction leagues. I'm a strong proponent of the auction league format and I was hoping that by offering $650 leagues that we'd get more auction league participants. Last year we had 37 auction teams and this year we are over 100 to date. My goal is to fill all of the auction leagues we have now and close these out.

With that in mind, I am asking anyone who is the least bit interested in joining an auction league to contact me at [email protected] or to post a message here. If it helps that we don't run your credit card until that league is full in that city, I'll work with you on that. But I have a feeling we have several people out there waiting to see if these will fill or not and the lack of names is scaring a few folks away. I find it hard to believe that in New York where we had 12 solid AL-only auction league owners last year we have yet to fill even half a league there yet. Contact me and we'll add you as a tentative owner at the very least.

If you're still interested in participating, let me know. I know we can fill all of the leagues we've started right now, which would give us a total of 12 auction leagues in three cities, a great improvement from last year. I will try to avoid having two-city phone hookups, but if we have to do it I'll propose that to every member and see how many are willing to do it. But for now, my goal is to work hard these next 10 days to get members for every auction league we've started.

Here's the list right now:

Las Vegas AL $1,250 = 12 owners (sold out)

Las Vegas AL $650 = 12 owners (sold out)

Las Vegas NL $1,250 = 21 owners (1 full league, 5 open spots)

Las Vegas NL $650 = 8 owners (5 open spots)

Las Vegas Mixed Auction League = 23 owners (7 spots open for a second league)

New York AL $650 = 5 owners (7 open spots)

New York AL $1,250 = 3 owners (9 open spots)

New York NL $650 = 4 owners (9 open spots)

New York NL $1,250 = 1 owner (12 open spots)

New York Mixed = 7 owners (8 open spots)

Chicago NL $650 = 4 owners (9 open spots)

Chicago AL $650 = 1 owner (11 open spots)

Chicago Mixed = 7 (8 open spots)

We still have plenty of time to fill these up. Contact me if you're interested.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

pancho11

Auction League Updates

Post by pancho11 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:37 am

if we merged all the 650 leagues together in ny we'd have one 16 tm mixed lg -- any poss?

JerseyPaul

Auction League Updates

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:06 am

My preference is also that you merge 2 or 3 of the NY Leagues if the signups don't pick up and avoid the phone auction.

My guess is you'll get a few more teams but you'll lose a couple of AL or NL that won't do mixed. The net result will probably be 1 nice sized mixed league.

Greg Ambrosius

Auction League Updates

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:26 am

No merging at this point. There's still plenty of time for our New Yorkers to sign up for those. Let's not confuse those who are still shopping. Again, we had 12 guys in New York last year for the $1,250 AL Auction League and it's hard to believe we can't fill 1 or 2 of those AL Auction Leagues before March 18th. We'll get there and we'll get there for the Mixed Auction League.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

metsfan

Auction League Updates

Post by metsfan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:46 am

If we do not have enough to fill the NY Mixed League and NL/AL leagues, maybe we could combine participants from the 3 and do a ~20-team mixed league, where player depth would be in-between the mixed and AL/NL only leagues?

Edwards Kings

Auction League Updates

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:36 am

Greg, I had posted to Tom yesterday that I might be interested in a Chicago auction, but when I look at my flight reservations (that I got in December not wanting to wait until the last minute) I found my flight will not get in until 3:00 which is cutting it too close to make a 4:00 auction. I cannot change my flight because of work contraints. Sorry. I will plan better next year.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Auction League Updates

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:42 am

No problem. Thanks for the offer. We'll find a way to make these work.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Rototitan

Auction League Updates

Post by Rototitan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:50 am

Originally posted by metsfan:

If we do not have enough to fill the NY Mixed League and NL/AL leagues, maybe we could combine participants from the 3 and do a ~20-team mixed league, where player depth would be in-between the mixed and AL/NL only leagues? I think this is a bad idea. The reason people do a AL/NL only league is for the difficulty and especially for me, the favoring of one league versus another. A 20 team mixed league is not nearly as deep as a 13 team NL or 12 Team AL only league.