Mock draft hoax?

bjoak

Mock draft hoax?

Post by bjoak » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:36 pm

Has anyone been going on mockdraftcentral to check out player values? Well, I have and for a bit there I couldn't figure out why players were always going at the same draft spot, ex. Teixeira is always R.2, P.4 or Perez is always R.2, P.14. Turns out that people are joining up and then not drafting or the computer is creating teams to fill the drafts, so most of the positions come out of the mdc player rankings.

In fact, about 2 months ago all the players seemed to have different values and then they all started going at different positions literally overnight, so they must have changed their rankings.

Beware if using mdc to evaluate where players are likely to go!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

nydownunder

Mock draft hoax?

Post by nydownunder » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:22 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

Has anyone been going on mockdraftcentral to check out player values? Well, I have and for a bit there I couldn't figure out why players were always going at the same draft spot, ex. Teixeira is always R.2, P.4 or Perez is always R.2, P.14. Turns out that people are joining up and then not drafting or the computer is creating teams to fill the drafts, so most of the positions come out of the mdc player rankings.

In fact, about 2 months ago all the players seemed to have different values and then they all started going at different positions literally overnight, so they must have changed their rankings.

Beware if using mdc to evaluate where players are likely to go! I look through them before using them as samples. I have about 18 samples to date, and they give me a relative idea on where things are heading. Nothings perfect, but its the only 15 team proxy out there for now....and some these guys are part of the NFBC.

But I agree, be careful with some of them.
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

nydownunder

Mock draft hoax?

Post by nydownunder » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:23 am

Scratch that, I'm up to about 24 samples.

bjoak

Mock draft hoax?

Post by bjoak » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:16 am

I look through them before using them as samples. I have about 18 samples to date, and they give me a relative idea on where things are heading. Nothings perfect, but its the only 15 team proxy out there for now....and some these guys are part of the NFBC.

But I agree, be careful with some of them.

But I don't think you're getting me. Maybe 2 people play in each of these drafts and the rest are all computer generated teams that take players according to where mockdraftcentral has them ranked, thereby making your samples irrelevant. The computer teams never deviate, except when mdc changed their rankings which seems to have happened once. The only way it will be relevant is if everyone in nfbc is looking at these samples and picks according to them. Compare the average draft positions on ESPN to see how different they are. Or, better yet, compare your samples to mockdraftcentral's official rankings. You'll see that they're almost identical. Or, better still, compare your favorite player's draft position in 4 of their last 5 15-player drafts. You'll see that he will be virtually identical in 4 of 5 drafts.

My point is exactly that nfbc people are not playing in the drafts. They're computer teams that pick the same way over and over.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Top Dawg

Mock draft hoax?

Post by Top Dawg » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:47 am

Bjoak - I have to agree with you. I've used the mock drafts there and participated in several of them. Unless the people are actively making the selections the computer makes the pick. If you find a mock draft that has a fair number of manually picked selections you get a decent feel. However, rarely will you find one without a large number of pre-selected or automated picks beyond the first couple of rounds.

Fun none-the-less.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

nydownunder

Mock draft hoax?

Post by nydownunder » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:44 am

I totally disagree with the thought that only 1 or 2 of the managers in the drafts are in the NFBC. I wouldn't go so far as to say that are all in in either. The Auto picks are obvious as they are deonoted.

What I really think is happening here, is the closer we get to the draft, the less likely NFBC/Mockdraft participants are to actuall show there preferences (ie players) thus do not pick them and just pick the highest ranked player available. The funny thing is, if 10 of them are doing this, then the draft isn't really giving them any clue on whether that player will really be avilable.

As for me, I am not so much interested in knowing the avg spot of a players draft. I am much more interested in it's dispersion (ie I want a better idea of where the surpirses lie). Its not perfect, but its better than ESPN samples.

Like I said, reviuew them before using them as a samples. The selections by rank don't bother me as much as someone picking the Kirk Reuter's of the world in the early rounds.