Urgent! Last Chance For Honesty and Common sense to prevail!!!

Scott Boras

Post by Scott Boras » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:19 am

Good thing you weren't in the leagues in which Granderson and Vazquez were dropped. Or Brett Anderson or Tulowitzki for that matter. Is Marlon Byrd more valuable than any of them? Are your peers in those leagues inferior in judgment and asleep at the wheel? This problem was created when Sizemore was pulled. NO players should be pulled unless collusion is heavily suspected or there is a likely chance of the player making an obvious large impact IE Pujols, Arod, or any healthy player having a monster season like Ubaldo. The competition in the NFBC is strong enough that we can police ourselves 99+% of the time.

Because Sizemore was pulled, this has some merit as Marlon Byrd is the opposite of Sizemore. He had a good year last year and is having a good year this year whereas Sizemore has been unrosterable for 2 straight years. That said, neither of these guys should be pulled from the pool. We're talking about Marlon Byrd! He's already playing at his ceiling and is more likely than not to regress. Even without regression, not worth pulling. If Byrd keeps it up, he could put together a Brad Hawpe type year (as he did last year) with some steals mixed in. Hawpe was recently dropped in a league and I don't see any posts about that.

Greg can't win and I understand he was erring on the side of caution with Grady, but opening that can of worms (pulling Sizemore) made non-issues like this one inevitable as a precedent was set, maybe one that was overly cautious.

I'm much more upset that Ryan Church was dropped in a league...

Dub

Post by Dub » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:47 am

I don't think his issue is how good Byrd is and the merits of removing him from the players pool, all things being equal. I am reading that he is out right accusing the sports attorney of collusion and is asking to remove the player that they are using to collude.
"I don't remmeber what I don't remember.”- Jerry Garcia

Dub

Post by Dub » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:53 am

Originally posted by Dub:

I don't think his issue is how good Byrd is and the merits of removing him from the players pool, all things being equal. I am reading that he is out right accusing the sports attorney of collusion and is asking to remove the player that they are using to collude. Here: "I tried to handle this obvious act of collusion "

Here: "I called who was cut and why. I called who would pick him up and why. I nailed every move before it happened."

Here: "And just in case some of you don't understand it's players like Byrd that this sort of thing is attempted with."

Here: "All I can hope for is that bringing this dirty move out in the light will stop any further attempts at collusion in my league."

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:06 am

Originally posted by Scott Boras:

Greg can't win and I understand he was erring on the side of caution with Grady, but opening that can of worms (pulling Sizemore) made non-issues like this one inevitable as a precedent was set, maybe one that was overly cautious.

I disagree Scott. Sizemore was dropped due to the fact that he had a strong history of success and had a very high ADP. Yes, we erred on the side of caution but this was one of the top players in fantasy as recently as this year based on his draft position. At no point in his career has Marlon Byrd been regarded as one of the top players in fantasy baseball. Even this year he's just another player having a good year.

As Greg said, if we're going to start removing every player having a good year then all of your leagues are going to get a lot less fun very quickly. The truth is every year we have people telling us that this player shouldn't be dropped or that player shouldn't be dropped. We RARELY remove players from the free-agent pool. Anyone who has been with us for any length of time is aware of that. There needs to be a special case involved for that to happen or an elite player involved, neither of which occurred in this instance.

There was no act of collusion. The allegation is not only blameless but insulting to the owner involved given his reputation. If people think we're playing favorites with people who have proven themselves to be good players in our event, so be it. That isn't true but the fact that we do know these people over the test of time does mean we know whether they are above board or not. In this case, I can say with 100% certainty the owner involved is above board. The last thing Greg or I believe is that there was collusion involved in this instance. If the originator of this thread disagrees and considers us inept that's his right. Our decision has been made and it's final. We wish him good luck in his league(s) the rest of the season.

[ June 29, 2010, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:38 am

I'm in this league (and doing horribly I might add).

Though I had interest in Byrd and put in a moderate bid, his presence in the player pool did not strike me as outrageous.

In fact, the legitimacy of the drop never even crossed my mind until running across this thread.

The parameters for a reasonable drop are obviously much more lenient in a 12-team league as compared to a 15-teamer.

In my two years of participating in NFBC 12-team leagues, I've run across several much more unexpected drops than this one.

Just this week, I was more surprised to see Adam Lind & Troy Tulowitzki available in other of my 12-teamers than I was to see Marlon Byrd available here. (No, I didn't question the legitimacy of that one either.) :cool:

Let it go Untouchables, it's really not as bad as you think. Good luck the rest of the year in our league. By the way, what team name do you go by in that league?

Glenn

[ June 29, 2010, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

ESPN8 THE OCHO

Post by ESPN8 THE OCHO » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:59 am

Just a quick aside. I agree with Scott Boras that the Grady-Gate is what prompts posts like these. I believe Tom and Greg were wrong to remove him for various reasons given by myself and many many other owners.

I agree with Tom that in no way was there any collusion here. We are talking about Marlon Byrd. A nice player this year but certainly not someone undroppable especially in a 12 team league.

The general feel of the message board community will almost certainly steer the situation in the right direction. In Grady-Gate 95% of the feedback was the he should not be removed and yet he was against the wishes of the majority of the community.

In this situation 95% of the feedback is that the post has no merit.

Lets hope the powers that be take the decision making out of the process next year and put together a no drop back into free agency list. Until the parameters are set before the season each decision will be open to judgement and that is no fun for anyone involved.

Dub

Post by Dub » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:59 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Though I had interest in Byrd and put in a moderate bid, his presence in the player pool did not strike me as outrageous.

In fact, the legitimacy of the drop never even crossed my mind until running across this thread.

The parameters for a reasonable drop are obviously much more lenient in a 12-team league as compared to a 15-teamer.

In my two years of participating in NFBC 12-team leagues, I've run across several much more unexpected drops than this one.

Just this week, I was more surprised to see Adam Lind & Troy Tulowitzki available in other of my 12-teamers than I was to see Marlon Byrd available here. (No, I didn't question the legitimacy of that one either.) :cool:

Let it go Untouchables, it's really not as bad as you think. Good luck the rest of the year in our league. By the way, what team name do you go by in that league?

Glenn Does it really matter who the player is if one team is feeding another?

I am not saying it is happening- I just think the spin here is talk about the quality of the drop compared to the act of cheating?

Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire- are they going to the all of fame?

I certainly believe, past reputation and proof of the act come into play. It does bring up the point about choosing your own league that you play in for the DP, compared to random drawing in the main event. Maybe the DP has to be random as well.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:06 am

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

I am not saying it is happening- I just think the spin here is talk about the quality of the drop compared to the act of cheating?

I certainly believe, past reputation and proof of the act come into play. It does bring up the point about choosing your own league that you play in for the DP, compared to random drawing in the main event. Maybe the DP has to be random as well.
[/QUOTE]Ahhh collusion....I didn't read the entire thread, sorry. Though collusion could explain why I'm off to such a rough start in this league....hmmmmmmm. :cool:

All joking aside, collusion is a serious accusation, especially one made in a public forum. I would hope that there's some valid evidence, circumstantial or not, for making it.

Glenn

HawkandRoll

Post by HawkandRoll » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:06 am

[/QUOTE]Did the guy really call Tom and Greg ahead of time predicting this FA move was going to happen? I agree with Dub, the talk is about the quality of the player, not the charge the guy has made. If he truly predicted this was going to happen before it happened, sent an email beforehand predicting it, that would be pretty amazing.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:07 am

We can talk more about the idea of a "No Drop Into Free Agency" list going forward but keep in mind had we had a list like that in place this year Grady Sizemore almost certainly would have been on it given his ADP. I think it's safe to say the discussions then would have turned to not having such a list considering Sizemore wasn't living up to his ADP. It's a slippery slope no matter which way you go.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Dub

Post by Dub » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:11 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

We can talk more about the idea of a "No Drop Into Free Agency" list going forward but keep in mind had we had a list like that in place this year Grady Sizemore almost certainly would have been on it given his ADP. I think it's safe to say the discussions then would have turned to not having such a list considering Sizemore wasn't living up to his ADP. It's a slippery slope no matter which way you go. Picture two guys entering the same league working together the whole time- this can happen if WE are allowed to chose the league in which we play- but not if you assign managers randomly to leagues. This is more to the heart of the original post. Tom- you want to talk oranges when the conversation is about apples.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:20 am

Originally posted by HawkandRoll:

quote:Originally posted by Dub:

[/QUOTE]Did the guy really call Tom and Greg ahead of time predicting this FA move was going to happen? I agree with Dub, the talk is about the quality of the player, not the charge the guy has made. If he truly predicted this was going to happen before it happened, sent an email beforehand predicting it, that would be pretty amazing.
[/QUOTE]He said he told them on Thursday. Byrd was already dropped. It isn't rocket science here. The team in first must have needed an OF and Byrd was probabbly the best OF available. No one else in the league with enough free agent dollars viewed Byrd as a must own.

In reality how much better is Byrd than Juan Rivera? He also owns Brett Gardner. It wasn't like the team was desperate for an OF.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:20 am

I thought the discussion had turned to whether we should have a No Drop Into Free Agency List? If so, I think that is something we can continue to talk about. I'm simply saying that if we had such a list in place this year, a player some of you seemed to think should have been allowed to be put in free agency likely would not have been. And I'm willing to wager Greg and I would have been called out for that too.

Again, I think the point that continues to be overlooked here is the fact we rarely remove players from the free-agent pool. It simply isn't something we do. I do think that is an important aspect of the discussion that should not be ignored.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

ESPN8 THE OCHO

Post by ESPN8 THE OCHO » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:04 am

I would advocate for it because then it would not be a case by case basis judgement call. I think by taking the decision making out of it there would be less scrutiny.

Anyway collusion is a monster allegation. I think it is nonsense in this situation and I would have a bone to pick if I was that owner in question.

HawkandRoll

Post by HawkandRoll » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:25 am

Originally posted by ESPN8 THE OCHO:

I would advocate for it because then it would not be a case by case basis judgement call. I think by taking the decision making out of it there would be less scrutiny.

Anyway collusion is a monster allegation. I think it is nonsense in this situation and I would have a bone to pick if I was that owner in question. Agreed, a real big bone to pick.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:00 am

Originally posted by ESPN8 THE OCHO:

Just a quick aside. I agree with Scott Boras that the Grady-Gate is what prompts posts like these. I believe Tom and Greg were wrong to remove him for various reasons given by myself and many many other owners.

I agree with Tom that in no way was there any collusion here. We are talking about Marlon Byrd. A nice player this year but certainly not someone undroppable especially in a 12 team league.

The general feel of the message board community will almost certainly steer the situation in the right direction. In Grady-Gate 95% of the feedback was the he should not be removed and yet he was against the wishes of the majority of the community.

In this situation 95% of the feedback is that the post has no merit.

Lets hope the powers that be take the decision making out of the process next year and put together a no drop back into free agency list. Until the parameters are set before the season each decision will be open to judgement and that is no fun for anyone involved. Josh, I'm not sure where you're getting your polling numbers but 95% were not against the Grady pull for one week. I've gotten plenty of emails that supported what I did but didn't want to get into your spin on the boards. Having a second round pick dropped in just one main event league and one Double Play league when his injury status was still unknown is a situation that I'd react in the same way again today, next year or the next year. And by the end of the week, we learned that Sizemore would be out for the year and everything worked out. No other league in the national contests were affected by the cut.

A No Drop List would be ever evolving. Would Marlon Byrd be on it today?? For a 12-team league?? I doubt it.

You will continue to believe we were wrong in what we did with the two Grady Sizemore cuts. I don't believe we were and in fact we've done similar removals in past years. This is NOT the first time we've done this in the NFBC. This was NOT the can of worms that is getting a conversation about Marlon Byrd. This owner here is making an accusation of collusion against a veteran NFBC owner; nobody did that with the Sizemore cuts. And I believe this owner is wrong -- VERY WRONG -- in his accusation of collusion in the Byrd cut and we told him that last week. It was a roster decision, not a move to collude against 10 other owners in that league. Plain and simple.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:00 am

41 posts on marlon byrd? marlon byrd? yikes

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:21 am

Imagine if it was Joe Blanton that was dropped....

[ June 29, 2010, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: ToddZ ]
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

SluggoJD

Post by SluggoJD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Originally posted by headhunters:

41 posts on marlon byrd? marlon byrd? yikes LOLOL.

team z

Post by team z » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Copy of first email sent:

#------------------------------------#

# TICKET INFO #

#------------------------------------#

Entered Date: 2010-06-24 20:55:23

Entered By : IntraISP Admin

Problem Name: Roster Problem

Orig Problem: Marlon Byrd was dropped in my league last week. It is my opinion that he needs to be removed from the player pool. I can see no reason to drop a 320 starting hitter without some kind of collusion in mind. I have checked this teams past starts and benchings and find them very suspect. Please take care of this ASAP.

Manual Note :

IMPORTANT: Please don't forget to close this trouble ticket after resolving!
A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms, enthusiasms... What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? Baseball! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NRIpmO6FWk

team z

Post by team z » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Second email sent:

Sorry Tom but Byrd is the 25th rated OF so far this year. In a 12 team league there are 60 starting OF's not counting those who may be at UT. In my book that makes him standout. It means someone is going to get to replace a below average player with an above average player. With standings so close Byrd could impact them greatly. If what I suspect is true Byrd will be picked up by the Sharks and slotted into his UT spot. Sharks have the most money by far and are in first but in need of a player like Byrd. Maybe your right about Mike but I was not born yesterday. I've been playing FB a long time and players like Byrd (at least for this year) do not get cut. He has at least 2 or three other players who seem to be easier cuts. You still have time to change your mind and I hope you do in the spirit of fair play. After all it matters little why he was cut. What matters is the kind of impact he could make.

Tom Kessenich wrote:

> Robert, we looked at this and don't have a problem with the move. Byrd isn't a standout player and looking at Mike's team he has three players on the DL and three others who are solid players. It would appear he dropped Byrd because of the DL issues he has. Mike is also a seven-year veteran in our event and one of the most respected members in the NFBC. Collusion is not something that we believe he would be a part of. So Byrd is available as a free agent.

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------

> From: *Greg Ambrosius* >

> Date: Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:09 AM

> Subject: Fwd: Trouble Ticket Number CDM1100624230959 Transferred

> To: Tom Kessenich >

[ June 29, 2010, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: the untouchables ]
A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms, enthusiasms... What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? Baseball! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NRIpmO6FWk

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Originally posted by the untouchables:

Second email sent:

Sorry Tom but Byrd is the 25th rated OF so far this year. In a 12 team league there are 60 starting OF's not counting those who may be at UT. In my book that makes him standout. It means someone is going to get to replace a below average player with an above average player. With standings so close Byrd could impact them greatly. If what I suspect is true Byrd will be picked up by the Sharks and slotted into his UT spot. Sharks have the most money by far and are in first but in need of a player like Byrd. Maybe your right about Mike but I was not born yesterday. I've been playing FB a long time and players like Byrd (at least for this year) do not get cut. He has at least 2 or three other players who seem to be easier cuts. You still have time to change your mind and I hope you do in the spirit of fair play. After all it matters little why he was cut. What matters is the kind of impact he could make.

Tom Kessenich wrote:

> Robert, we looked at this and don't have a problem with the move. Byrd isn't a standout player and looking at Mike's team he has three players on the DL and three others who are solid players. It would appear he dropped Byrd because of the DL issues he has. Mike is also a seven-year veteran in our event and one of the most respected members in the NFBC. Collusion is not something that we believe he would be a part of. So Byrd is available as a free agent.

> To: Tom Kessenich > I think you are on to something here. The Sharks also hacked in to every team log in and realized you only needed 157 dollars to get him. They obviously put a couple of extra dollars out there to not alert anyone except you. They are called Sharks for a reason you know. The only thing they did not think about in this plan is you would be there to catch them. Well done!

team z

Post by team z » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:04 pm

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

quote:Originally posted by the untouchables:

Second email sent:

Tom Kessenich wrote:

> To: Tom Kessenich > I think you are on to something here. The Sharks also hacked in to every team log in and realized you only needed 157 dollars to get him. They obviously put a couple of extra dollars out there to not alert anyone except you. They are called Sharks for a reason you know. The only thing they did not think about in this plan is you would be there to catch them. Well done!
[/QUOTE]Good to hear from the Greg and Tom Stepford posters. I really don't have time to explain the overall tactic used here and how the "sharks" knew just what to bid.

I also find it quite disturbing to watch Greg and Tom continue to try and change the subject. Wonder if there's more going on here than I think.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:26 pm

All I know is that if you think that Marlon Byrd is a 5 category player then I want to be in your league next year. :D
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

rockitsauce

Post by rockitsauce » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:32 pm

Originally posted by the untouchables:

I also find it quite disturbing to watch Greg and Tom continue to try and change the subject. Wonder if there's more going on here than I think. [/QB]It is widely known that Greg & Tom are master manipulators. Why just recently Greg was compared to the best, Vince McMahon, so there's that....

You are definitely on something touchy, I mean on TO something.

There is DEFINITELY more going on here than you think. Strong work Dragon. ;)

I mean Marlon Byrd, christ who do they think they're kidding...amirite?! :D :D :D
Always be closing.