Friday Chat Has Begun

Tom Kessenich

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:54 am

It's Friday, the weekend is almost here and we're getting closer and closer to our 300-team limit. Expect the event to be filled by next week. That's my guess. Greg's basking in the sun in Arizona; I'm here in the snow in Wisconsin and you guys are all gearing up for what will be a great fantasy baseball event.

So with that in mind let's end the work week with another chat. So bring whatever's on your mind and let's have some fun this afternoon.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Edwards Kings

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:59 am

Since people are slow diving in, I will give a little status update (just to get everyone quaking in their boots). I am just about through with my anaylsis of offense (or is that offensive analysis!). Sleepers by the dozen!

Pitchers are next...Just who is the next Peavy or Perez?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:04 am

Hello! Echo...echo....
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Top Dawg

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Top Dawg » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:29 am

Tom - Do you think drafting to win the $100K involves a different strategy than drafting to win a League title, like the Ultimate? For example, would you try to load up more in certain categories to go after the 100K (ie, speed, saves) than you would if you were in the Ultimate?

Along those same lines, what are your thoughts about "tanking" a category in a one league, Ultimate Type, draft?

Thanks,

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Tom Kessenich

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:32 am

I don't think the strategy changes; at least it wouldn't for me if I was in those events. I think you take the same strategy and apply it to every league -- the obvious difference would be if you were in an AL/NL-only league compared to a Mixed League.

I'm not a believer in tanking a category. Every category carries some value and even 1 or 2 points at the bottom of a category could prove beneficial at the end of the season.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Chameleon

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Chameleon » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:35 am

I'm curious for people's thoughts on this. I would suggest that let's say over the first 10, even 20 years of the NFBC, there will never be a repeat overall 1st place champion.

Why? Because to win the overall prize, you absolutely need a "perfect storm" of events to transpire (or to use another anology, ALL the dominos must fall in your direction -- all of them). Think about it. No misplaced draft picks. Next to no injuries (esp. for top-10 picks). All your "sleepers" actually panning out. Terrific backfilling with the free agent pool etc.

I fully agree a savvy player can probably place in the top 1, 2 or 3 of their own league quite reqularly, but to win the overall competition more than once I truly believe would be very, very unlikely.

A review of last year's overall champ's draft and final team, in a roundabout way, supports what I'm proposing. No significant injuries (or any?). Sleepers abounded, and boy did they pan out (esp. Sheets and Beltre in the mid-teen rounds).

You get the idea...
"Past Peformance Does Not Guarantee Future Returns"

Walla Walla

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:41 am

Tom, If I had a co owner who would have no input but could write about the event would that be ok?

Tom Kessenich

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:44 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

Tom, If I had a co owner who would have no input but could write about the event would that be ok? You'd have to talk to Greg about that. It's possible Greg might allow that, but he'd be the one to make the final call.

Edited to add if he was your paid co-manager I don't see any problem with that. But check with Greg just to make sure.

[ March 04, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Dyv

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Dyv » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:46 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

Tom, If I had a co owner who would have no input but could write about the event would that be ok? John, you can have a co-owner and have that person do what you want. I'm checking into hiring a masseuse stripper to rub my back while I make my picks ;)
Just Some Guy

Walla Walla

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:50 am

DYV, You've got the better idea I think. :)

I just thought that Buster would like to sit in and watch. But I'm not an expert when it comes to the pros.

JohnZ

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by JohnZ » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:59 am

Originally posted by Dyv:

I'm checking into hiring a masseuse stripper to rub my back while I make my picks ;) I'll split this one with you Dave.

Dyv

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Dyv » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:41 am

Originally posted by UFS:

quote:Originally posted by Dyv:

I'm checking into hiring a masseuse stripper to rub my back while I make my picks ;) I'll split this one with you Dave. [/QUOTE]We could do even/odd rounds... lol
Just Some Guy

bjoak

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by bjoak » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:08 pm

there will never be a repeat overall 1st place champion.

Not true. Everyone knows that Gekko will win over and over.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Gordon Gekko

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:00 pm

Originally posted by Chameleon:

I'm curious for people's thoughts on this. I would suggest that let's say over the first 10, even 20 years of the NFBC, there will never be a repeat overall 1st place champion.

Why? Because to win the overall prize, you absolutely need a "perfect storm" of events to transpire (or to use another anology, ALL the dominos must fall in your direction -- all of them). Think about it. No misplaced draft picks. Next to no injuries (esp. for top-10 picks). All your "sleepers" actually panning out. Terrific backfilling with the free agent pool etc.

na, i don't buy it. a bunch of artie's draft picks were worthless and he still won.

Gordon Gekko

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:01 pm

Originally posted by bjoak:

quote: there will never be a repeat overall 1st place champion.

Everyone knows that Gekko will win over and over. [/QUOTE]now you are getting the picture. good show!

bjoak

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by bjoak » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:59 pm

a bunch of artie's draft picks were worthless and he still won.

I agree, actually. The same thing occurred to me as long as we're being serious. Gordon, do you think you had a ton of luck in football or just moderate luck around good planning? Seriously.

Gordon Gekko

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:06 pm

Originally posted by bjoak:

I agree, actually. The same thing occurred to me as long as we're being serious. Gordon, do you think you had a ton of luck in football or just moderate luck around good planning? Seriously. i had some luck in winning, yes. every winner does. but i also had a plan that i executed. i knew i could win without top flight WR's. my starters after the draft were Rod Smith, E.Kennison, and M.Muhammed. People laughed at me. Too bad they didn't understand some other key concepts.

don't forget my team scored the most points in my NFFC main event league, as well as in the las vegas auction league. having the most points scored in two events doesn't point to luck...if i'm being honest.

thanks for the question.

fandango

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by fandango » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:06 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by bjoak:

I agree, actually. The same thing occurred to me as long as we're being serious. Gordon, do you think you had a ton of luck in football or just moderate luck around good planning? Seriously. i had some luck in winning, yes. every winner does. but i also had a plan that i executed. i knew i could win without top flight WR's. my starters after the draft were Rod Smith, E.Kennison, and M.Muhammed. People laughed at me. Too bad they didn't understand some other key concepts.

don't forget my team scored the most points in my NFFC main event league, as well as in the las vegas auction league. having the most points scored in two events doesn't point to luck...if i'm being honest.

thanks for the question.
[/QUOTE]i wish i had joined the NFFC BIG event instead of just the auction league, cause i had a better record AND more points than GEKKO...its just that im reluctant to do serpentines...i would have beat the Grekko even though i did not have 1 free agent the entire year, almost ran the table with MY DRAFT TEAM!

cant bring back the past..thats why i went against tradition and joined this years BIG EVENT to take on the GEKKO !

--------

greed greed blah blah blah...

Gordon Gekko

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:09 am

Originally posted by fandango:

cause i had a better record AND more points than GEKKO... you were in an inferior league.

its just that im reluctant to do serpentines...generally, the best owners win, no matter the format. guess you don't trust yourself that much yet

i would have beat the Grekko even though i did not have 1 free agent the entire year, almost ran the table with MY DRAFT TEAM!

that just shows that you are slow on picking up how to do FAAB.

[ March 05, 2005, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

bjoak

Friday Chat Has Begun

Post by bjoak » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:09 am

i wish i had joined the NFFC BIG event instead of just the auction league, cause i had a better record AND more points than GEKKO...its just that im reluctant to do serpentines...i would have beat the Grekko even though i did not have 1 free agent the entire year, almost ran the table with MY DRAFT TEAM!

cant bring back the past..thats why i went against tradition and joined this years BIG EVENT to take on the GEKKO !

I hope you're not really this naive. I'm more scared of Gekko than I am of you. And I'm not at all scared of Gekko.