Monday Chat Has Begun

Tom Kessenich

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:33 am

Well let's get another chat underway. Thanks to our IT department I have been frozen out of a Yahoo Experts League draft today so I have some time to talk about anything that's on your minds from the final few spots in the NFBC to anything about MLB that strikes your fancy.

So let's kick off the week and have some fun.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Gordon Gekko

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:42 am

tom,

without giving too much away. how do you get your "cheatsheet" that you use in the draft? do you personally sit down and rank 600 players?

LB Big Richards

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by LB Big Richards » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:43 am

Good morning Tom.

Is that Alex guy realy backing out because of "cheating" allegations? He's an idiot to think of such nonsense. Like another poster mentioned, you answered the cynic with class. Way to handle it Tom!

Now my real question - is Reyes the greatest risk/reward player this year? I'd say he goes in the mid to late 3rd round. What do you think?

Hojin

Tom Kessenich

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:46 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

tom,

without giving too much away. how do you get your "cheatsheet" that you use in the draft? do you personally sit down and rank 600 players? Well I'm lucky in that I have the full resources of Krause at my disposal when it comes to ranking players. So what I do is take the rankings that we come up with here and tweak them to suit my own preferences. But yes it does involve evaluating a large number of players. No other way to get it done.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

baseballweenie

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by baseballweenie » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:50 am

Tom and Greg,

How do me and Kevin Mench get ahold of one of those flex-fit NFBC hats (that Greg hinted at) for our size 8 heads? :eek:

Also, is the NFBC store no longer available?

Greg Ambrosius

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:50 am

Guys, I apologize for not posting some LABR dollar values this weekend, but the post-draft parties in Phoenix kept me away from my computer! :D I promise to post some on another thread this hour. It's never fun trying to catch up at work after long trips and I've fallen behind today, but I promise to post my team and some other dollar values soon.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:51 am

Originally posted by LB Big Richards:

Good morning Tom.

Is that Alex guy realy backing out because of "cheating" allegations? He's an idiot to think of such nonsense. Like another poster mentioned, you answered the cynic with class. Way to handle it Tom!Thanks. I don't know who Alex is or if he has signed up for our event. I do know we have not had anyone back out of our event. We have charges applied to everyone who has signed up, so I don't believe Alex is part of our event.

Now my real question - is Reyes the greatest risk/reward player this year? I'd say he goes in the mid to late 3rd round. What do you think?

Hojin I love Reyes. In my main league (NL only) we can keep five guys and I'm trying to figure out a way to do it but in order to do so based on the rules of our league I'd have to keep him for $15 and get rid of either Miguel Cabrera ($15) or Phil Nevin ($11). I'm not keen on doing that.

I think Reyes could easily be the high-risk/high-reward guy of the season. He's off to a good start this spring and if he can stay healthy his upside is enormous. As far as where he'll go I'd be very surprised if he made it past the fifth round of any NFBC draft barring another injury.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:52 am

Originally posted by baseballweenie:

Tom and Greg,

How do me and Kevin Mench get ahold of one of those flex-fit NFBC hats (that Greg hinted at) for our size 8 heads? :eek:

Also, is the NFBC store no longer available? Good question. I was going to bring some apparel to each city and let people see what the products look like. Is anyone else interested in some NFBC T-shirts, polo shirts, hats or sweatshirts? The NFBC store is still active and you can find the link right above the Question of the Week on the home page on the left-hand side. If you show up with an NFBC apparel on I'll buy you a drink! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Cooperstown

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Cooperstown » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:55 am

Tom,

Speaking of risk-reward, where do you see Giambi going if he starts the Spring out looking good?

baseballweenie

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by baseballweenie » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:58 am

Thanks, Greg, but I cannot seem to locate the Store link.

Tom Kessenich

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:02 am

Originally posted by coops:

Tom,

Speaking of risk-reward, where do you see Giambi going if he starts the Spring out looking good? I think he'll be a later-round pick. It's going to take an awful lot of convincing to get people to take him much earlier I would suspect.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

RotoXpert

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by RotoXpert » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:04 am

I appreciate you all taking some time to help me with this dilemna. I can keep 6 players in a 12 team mixed league 5X5 scoring, who do you keep as your last keeper, under the usual 260 salary cap?

Jeter 28

M. Ordonez 11

Schmidt 30

my other keepers are

B. Roberts 2

Edmonds 14

F. Cordero 8

Ol. Perez 2

Carpenter 1

metsfan

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by metsfan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:05 am

Hi Tom,

Do goodie bags go to auction participants or just those in the main event?

Thanks

Tom Kessenich

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:06 am

Originally posted by metsfan:

Hi Tom,

Do goodie bags go to auction participants or just those in the main event?

Thanks Owners in both events will receive our goodie bags.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:13 am

Originally posted by baseballweenie:

Thanks, Greg, but I cannot seem to locate the Store link. Bummer, I didn't realize it wasn't active. I'll see if I can get that up and running. The items were cool and we still have some available. I'll work on that today.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:14 am

I started another thread about the LABR League. Here are some early results to chew on. If you have comments on these, post them on the LABR thread. Thanks.

Here's the top results in the AL:

Johan Santana, $39

Vladimir Guerrero, $39

Carl Crawford, $38

Alex Rodriguez, $37

Randy Johnson, $36

Ichiro Suzuki, $34

Miguel Tejada, $34

Alfonso Soriano, $33

Manny Ramirez, $33

Derek Jeter, $31

Curt Schilling, $31

Adrian Beltre, $31

Gary Sheffield, $30

Francisco Rodriguez, $30

As for the interesting buys, they included:

Richie Sexson, $21

Jason Giambi, $10

Dallas McPherson, $11

Tadahito Iguchi, $14

B.J. Upton, $9

Rocco Baldelli, $6

Dan Haren, $9

B.J. Ryan, $20

Justin Speier, $10
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:14 am

I have a question to the group...last year in Vegas we received a copy of Shandler's Baseball Forecaster. Outside of the clearly superior Krause publications :D , is the Forecaster "da' book" or is it just one in an arsenal?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Gordon Gekko

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:18 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

I have a question to the group...last year in Vegas we received a copy of Shandler's Baseball Forecaster. Outside of the clearly superior Krause publications :D , is the Forecaster "da' book" or is it just one in an arsenal? one in an arsenal. i use my own numbers made up of may resources. for example, i'm up to 325 pitchers individually rated/ranked. not from someone's book, but by looking at everything.

[ March 07, 2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

viper

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by viper » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:21 am

Greg, is the 129 in vegas a "hard" or "soft" 129? I do recall there was a waffler out there.

Almost there in NYC.

Edwards Kings

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:25 am

Thanks, GG, Mark..whatever!

I always buy just as many magazines as I get my hands on plus staying updated as much as possible on-line (damn job sure gets in the way) but the Shandler book is on the pricey side (I know, what should I care about $24 when I just plopped down $1,250...again...not that the NFBC is not a bargain at any price!). Anyway, being a CPA, all the stats are like brain candy to me.

I here you will be in Chicago, so I look forward to bending an elbow at the bar a time or two with you.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:26 am

Make that "I hear..." I am having trouble with fat fingers today.
Charles Krauthammer

Gordon Gekko

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:29 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

I here you will be in Chicago, so I look forward to bending an elbow at the bar a time or two with you. just not before the draft. ;)

a lot of this mb chatter is just that...mb chatter. i'm really a good guy (in person). you'll see

Edwards Kings

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:35 am

That's what I figured. You set yourself up for most of the abuse, but seem to handle it well .

Well, I claim to be a professional father, husband, and CPA (just put a sweater on me and I am Ozzie-freakin-Nelson!), so I am sure to have a couple before the draft. You know us Southerners'...we do not feel worth a damn until we our Bloody Mary(s) in us on the weekend!
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:36 am

Originally posted by viper:

Greg, is the 129 in vegas a "hard" or "soft" 129? I do recall there was a waffler out there.

Almost there in NYC. The 129 is firm. I had one mixup with one owner today that was resolved and the "waffler" is going to get in now. So we are firm with the 129 in Las Vegas as of today and the 288 overall is firm. We're just waiting for 12 more and we'll pick the leagues.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Monday Chat Has Begun

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:38 am

Greg, Francisco Rodriguez was the highest priced closer? Interesting.....for a 23 year old who has not held his position for even a season yet...
Charles Krauthammer