Tuesday Chat With Greg

KJ Duke

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:39 am

Originally posted by Top Dawg:

quote:Originally posted by coops:

What does anyone think the best number of keepers is in an NL only auction league? The local league I'm in allows 15. Not everyone keeps that many but it causes some inflated prices for the players we bid on. And, it encourages unfair trading late in the season. I was in one that had 8 and the majority of the owners recently voted to go down to 5. They felt that 8 gave an unfair advantage to the better teams. I thought 8 was perfect. 15 sounds far too high.

Pete
[/QUOTE]5 or even less on a sliding scale is too low for my preference. It minimizes the value of building a good keeper team. I would think it almost plays a 1-yr lge with that low a number of keepers.

Edwards Kings

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:41 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

Greg, I probably missed a whole string on this topic, but what will be the deal with RFK? I have read that it will configured as a hitters park in some places and in others that it will be configured to slightly disadvantage hitters (runs, average, power, both RH and LH). What have the experts (Sorry, GG, not this time!) you talk with been saying? It's a hitter's park all the way. It should produce good offensive numbers. [/QUOTE]Thanks, Greg. Let's see now...that would be a DOWN arrow on Livan :( and an up arrow on Johnson :eek: !
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:45 am

Originally posted by Dyv:

Greg, it seems every year people get overly excited about rookies and 'see' HoF in them for 2005. Are there any rookies that you can see for this year that seem ready to explode onto the scene or will it be a normal inconsistent growing-type year for most?

D Man, I agree with you and you're talking to someone who bid $16 on Sean Burroughs before his rookie season. I didn't realize at the time he didn't take the same vitamins as his daddy! :D

Dallas McPherson could be the real deal, but he strikes out a lot and his defense could sit him on the bench. I like Chris Burke, but all this talk about Craig Biggio playing second and Burke moving to the outfield has to be unsettling. He just moved from shortstop to second and now they want him to move again? Nick Swisher will be good, but not great. Jeremy Reed could steal a few bases and be solid. Maybe the best sleeper is Toronto's Gustavo Chacin, a starting pitcher. J.D. Closser and Clint Barmes have good potential in Colorado, so they're going for a bit on Draft Day.

But overall, you are right, it's not a slam dunk class. Now I will say that I saw Prince Fielder hit a two-run homer and drive in four runs in one game this weekend. He looks good!
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:46 am

Originally posted by Top Dawg:

Greg is signing he last 12 teams up as we talk amongst ourselves :D It's 11 Pete, 11!

I have your photos for you, too! Call me.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Top Dawg

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by Top Dawg » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:46 am

KJ Duke - Yes, 5 keepers is a joke and I am one unhappy owner. I felt 8 was nearly perfect. I've asked a few friends if anyone wants to take over my team. I'm in the Ultimate and Regular drafts this year and can't really be bothered with a 5 player "keeper" league.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

viper

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by viper » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:48 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

Greg, I probably missed a whole string on this topic, but what will be the deal with RFK? I have read that it will configured as a hitters park in some places and in others that it will be configured to slightly disadvantage hitters (runs, average, power, both RH and LH). What have the experts (Sorry, GG, not this time!) you talk with been saying?

It's a hitter's park all the way. It should produce good offensive numbers.

--------------------

Greg Ambrosius

Where do you get that info from? I'm in the DC area and everything I hear is that it will be neutral. What i erad on the net indicates a fairly neutral site with possible slight leanings to pitchers. It may have been a hitter's park back in the Stone Ages but today's parks are so much more hitter friendly that RFK could actually favor pitchers. The dimensions are planned to be the same as in 1960.

Top Dawg

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by Top Dawg » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:52 am

quote:Originally posted by Top Dawg:

Greg is signing he last 12 teams up as we talk amongst ourselves :D It's 11 Pete, 11!

I have your photos for you, too! Call me.
[/QUOTE]Greg - I wasn't going to "bother" you until you filled out the leagues :D
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Cooperstown

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by Cooperstown » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:58 am

Looks like so far 7-8 is the suggested number of keepers. I like that amount too, but change in a 20 year league is tough.

Wayne, I like your idea of 3-7, then 7-3. We do that for the supplemental draft already. But it would never get voted in.

UFS, your idea seems a little too radical. No long term contracts at all?

Dyv

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by Dyv » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:02 am

Originally posted by coops:

Looks like so far 7-8 is the suggested number of keepers. I like that amount too, but change in a 20 year league is tough.

Wayne, I like your idea of 3-7, then 7-3. We do that for the supplemental draft already. But it would never get voted in.

UFS, your idea seems a little too radical. No long term contracts at all? Coops, the best keeper system I've ever seen (in my opinion) uses no contracts at all. Instead you get to keep from 0-10 keepers on your team (blind submit keeper list) and then you enter the draft in the appropriate round based on how many you kept. That is, if you keep 7 and I keep 2, I enter the draft in round 3 and you enter in round 8. I get to raid the rookies and such for 5 rounds before you get in. This keeps people optimistic in that they can dump their whole team if they need to start over and lets people who have accumulated a super team maintain that as well. Just my opinion.

Dyv
Just Some Guy

JohnZ

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by JohnZ » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:14 am

[ March 08, 2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: UFS ]

JohnZ

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by JohnZ » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:15 am

Originally posted by UFS:

quote:Originally posted by coops:

UFS, your idea seems a little too radical. No long term contracts at all? Not my idea... 20 yr old league. Seems to work well there and it creates plenty of strategies.

I get rewarded for Uribe, but not to the point of screwing up the balance.
[/QUOTE]

baseballweenie

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by baseballweenie » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:20 am

Last year we had 45 signups during the last week, so this week is kind of surprising thus far.Don't worry, Greg -- the panic will set in soon and the phones will ring off the hook. It'll probably happen tonight, and you'll wish that Tom was around to help answer the phones.

11 spots left out of 300 is microscopic! Once again, you guys have done an amazing job!

viper

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by viper » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:30 am

I would guess that last four entered are definitely rooting for these last few spots to fill.

I'm not all that surprised that registrations have slowed. Last year it took a while to realize that this event was for real and not a fly-by-night operation. Sticking with the prize money regardless of how many teams was a likely turning point in getting off the fence. This year, everyone knows what to expect so sign-ups were earlier.

BTW, you humming that Dusty Springfield song yet.

Greg Ambrosius

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:16 am

Originally posted by baseballweenie:

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Last year we had 45 signups during the last week, so this week is kind of surprising thus far.Don't worry, Greg -- the panic will set in soon and the phones will ring off the hook. It'll probably happen tonight, and you'll wish that Tom was around to help answer the phones.

11 spots left out of 300 is microscopic! Once again, you guys have done an amazing job!
[/QUOTE]I sure do wish someone else was here to help. Not only is this event busting out, but our Fantasy Sports Trade Conference has already set a new attendence record for the spring event. We have over 150 registrants so far for the March 16-17 event at the Rio and will likely top 170. Steve Beuerlein is speaking on Wednesday night and we even have David Bell, the commissioner of the Arena Football League, coming to speak. Of course the legal panels are the big drawing card this year. That should be a wild and crazy event.

Lots to do and so little time to do it. That's the song I have in my head. Actually, I'm ready for a drink right about now.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Tuesday Chat With Greg

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:24 am

Hey everyone. I'm sorry I wasn't in the office today. Something unexpected came up, but I'll be back tomorrow and I'll be hanging around online for a few hours tonight so if we have some folks looking to chat tonight I'll be here and Greg can go home and spend some time with his family. I'm a single guy so I'll hang out with you guys for awhile and be part of this great NFBC family.

If you'll have me, of course.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich