Official Statement From Liberty Media

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:16 am

Here is the official statement from Liberty Media on the Fanball.com site:

The management of Fanball.com has determined to cease operations, effective as of June 30, 2011. Commissioner, Draft & Play, and Challenge games already in progress for NBA, NHL and NFL will continue to their conclusion. Prize payouts for the NBA, NHL and NFL games already in progress will be honored according to Fanball game rules. Fanball.com will not initiate new games for the NBA playoffs, the NHL playoffs or any other sports, and will promptly send a refund to customers of entry fees for 2011 PGA Tour Trade 1 and PGA Tour Trade 2.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:21 am

Awful news, losing DC is crushing. But what does this mean for NFBC?

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:28 am

I think it means there is a deal in the works?
Winning is not everything, but the will to win is.

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:36 am

Only facts we know so far re: NFBC:

1) Fanball won't be running the NFBC.

2) This site is still accepting signups.

3) Greg is still answering questions and engaged in discussions with players on these boards.

From there, you can draw your own conclusions until Mr. Ambrosius makes his own statements.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Gates

Post by Gates » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:37 am

Originally posted by The Franchise:

I think it means there is a deal in the works? Look at what Greg said in regards to Slow drafts, continue drafting, we're gonna make them work...
Go ahead, make my day...

NoBallsNoBabies

Post by NoBallsNoBabies » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:38 am

Well said Mighty!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:38 am

While there is never good news in a historic company being shut down, please realize that some things are still unannounced and undecided. Hopefully there's a reason for that. I don't know what will happen or if anything will happen with these assets, but they're not mentioned here in this first statement and that isn't all bad.

Tom, myself and most of the Fanball employees are still employed today by Liberty Media, the message boards are still active, all of our players will be paid in full, employees now at least know the terms of their time at Fanball, and life moves on. It's tragic to see such an important company leave this space, but it happens and folks move on.

Again, the boards are still alive. Use them for encouragement and positive thoughts, not to bash anyone or any entity. Let's stay hopeful that all things will work out for this great industry, for these great games, for these great customers and hopefully this great community of like-minded baseball and football fanatics will remain intact. That's my prayer tonight.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:41 am

Let it be duly noted that 5:00 came early here today... ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yankees2009

Post by Yankees2009 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:46 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

While there is never good news in a historic company being shut down, please realize that some things are still unannounced and undecided. Hopefully there's a reason for that. I don't know what will happen or if anything will happen with these assets, but they're not mentioned here in this first statement and that isn't all bad.

Tom, myself and most of the Fanball employees are still employed today by Liberty Media, the message boards are still active, all of our players will be paid in full, employees now at least know the terms of their time at Fanball, and life moves on. It's tragic to see such an important company leave this space, but it happens and folks move on.

Again, the boards are still alive. Use them for encouragement and positive thoughts, not to bash anyone or any entity. Let's stay hopeful that all things will work out for this great industry, for these great games, for these great customers and hopefully this great community of like-minded baseball and football fanatics will remain intact. That's my prayer tonight.

Yankees2009

Post by Yankees2009 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:53 am

Greg,

You're a real class act. I hope your dream comes true. With your determination, experience, knowledge, and love of the games, as well as the players themselves, coupled with the loyal following you have engendered, leaves me little doubt that you will.

Jim Christie

Post by Jim Christie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:04 am

Well, I will definitely say a prayer for NFBC surviving. Losing DC is a GREAT loss.
"Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 am

2010 NFBC Draft in Las Vegas. Ryan E. Strutting around like a cock in heat. Yeah he's the man. Thanks man! JACKASS! :mad:

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

2010 NFBC Draft in Las Vegas. Ryan E. Strutting around like a cock in heat. Yeah he's the man. Thanks man! JACKASS! :mad: There is a saying for guys like Ryan Houston "big hat no cattle"

Sack

Post by Sack » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:54 pm

C'mon Kent & John - Greg shot straight. For me, he spoke from the heart.Greg asked us to take advantage

of the fact that the boards are still active and keep things positive. Save the bashing for another day. Let us give LIBERTY a reason to find a way to

keep the NFBC alive through any possible channel. We'll all be better for it.

[ January 11, 2011, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Sack ]

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:34 pm

I haven't read one thing that has made me feel less confident that 2011 will be another "Hit" for Fantasy Baseball and this group of people!

Do I have questions? Sure, who doesn't, but the "have faith" side of me says to just wait for the good news to flow as things get worked out.

I am currently drafting in 2 Slow drafts and things are going smooth, the $1000 Slow Draft still starts as far as I know in early Feb and things are moving towards opening day!

I can sleep on that for today!

Thanks for all the updates Greg, we know you wish you could tell us more!
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Sack, I TOTALLY agree. Greg is doing the best he can to be upfront and honest about this situation. This is not the time to bash anybody. We all need to support Greg and everything he stands for and hope it all turns out for him and his "crew". We will get through this bump in the road and have as good or better contest as we've had in the past.

JMO
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks for the update, Greg. It seems like you or Tom have always taken the time to keep us all in the loop. That does not go unnoticed. Please keep us up informed with any news regarding the NFBC/NFFC time permitting. Go PACKERS.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:55 pm

I haven't posted anything since this all went down but I wanted to say that all of the kind words people have expressed have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated. It means a lot. I like to believe Greg and I fostered three great events and it's the community of people within those events which make it all worthwhile. So whatever happens in the future will happen but I wanted to let everyone know that all of the kind words, compliments etc. have been very much appreciated and mean a great deal to me. Thanks.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

I haven't posted anything since this all went down but I wanted to say that all of the kind words people have expressed have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated. It means a lot. I like to believe Greg and I fostered three great events and it's the community of people within those events which make it all worthwhile. So whatever happens in the future will happen but I wanted to let everyone know that all of the kind words, compliments etc. have been very much appreciated and mean a great deal to me. Thanks. Tom,

Without getting overly sentimental or mushy or, let me just put it to you this way. I can never again imagine myself getting ready for another MLB or NFL season without the NFBC or NFFC being a big part of that. That is how good a job you and Greg have done with these competitions/events.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Greg, Tom and crew have been excellent in my two+ years playing these games. I'm sure if they break away from Fanball (and start a new contest) due to current circumstances, many of the players will follow.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 am

One thing I think we can all appreciate is the level of dignity and class that Greg and Tom have brought to a very unfortunate and complicated situation. Once again they've shown why and how they've gained the trust and loyalty of so many here.

Regarding Ryan and Fanball, I don't think this is a time to gloat. While many disagreed with some of the decisions made and some of the directions taken, I'd have to trust they were made believing they were the best course for the contests involved. These decisions obviously have not worked out as planned, but a bad decision does not always make a bad individual. I was not a huge fan of Fanball, but it was a company that had great impact on this hobby we all love. This company is now closing, taking with it an historic contest that many are passionate about in the Diamond Challenge, and costing many people their jobs. Let's show the proper respect.

Greg, Tom, thank you for creating the NFBC and NFFC, contests I've grown to love in a very short time. If there is a positive to this situation, it's that there is now the possibility that these contests end up in the control of those who created it, care most for it, and will do the most with it in Greg and Tom. Let's hope that's the next official statement.

Glenn

DoubleX

Post by DoubleX » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

If there is a positive to this situation, it's that there is now the possibility that these contests end up in the control of those who created it, care most for it, and will do the most with it in Greg and Tom. Let's hope that's the next official statement.

Glenn Here, Here! My feelings exactly. Well said.

I will be in line with so many others that aren't currently going to play fanball's nfbc to sign up in volume if and hopefully WHEN that statement comes to print.

Timcards

Post by Timcards » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:29 am

When things are clearer, I'll sign up for the Main and at least two satellite leagues. Here's hoping I'll be able to.....

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:28 am

I've learned a lot of lessons in this last week and one of them is that many of you folks are more than just customers. Some of you may have formed great friendships together as players, but I hope many of you realize that Tom and I have also formed some great friendships through the NFBC and NFFC. And those friends have been so supportive of us this last week that it's incredibly heartwarming. THANKS to all of you who have reached out to us with emails and calls and advice and offers. It's been unbelievable.

There is no doubt in my mind that the NFBC customer base has to be the richest group in the fantasy sports industry!! :D I've never seen so many successful people offer financial support to help us out. I mean there are literally dozens of you who could back this product financially and the offers to help have been non-stop. And I love the Packer Board idea. Splendid and close to my heart. ;)

That being said, money has never been the issue. If it were that easy, we'd have more money than the Packers. There's work to be done here yet, but I'm confident that smart people will make smart decisions and in a quick time frame. Stay tuned.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

I've learned a lot of lessons in this last week and one of them is that many of you folks are more than just customers. Some of you may have formed great friendships together as players, but I hope many of you realize that Tom and I have also formed some great friendships through the NFBC and NFFC. And those friends have been so supportive of us this last week that it's incredibly heartwarming. THANKS to all of you who have reached out to us with emails and calls and advice and offers. It's been unbelievable.

There is no doubt in my mind that the NFBC customer base has to be the richest group in the fantasy sports industry!! :D I've never seen so many successful people offer financial support to help us out. I mean there are literally dozens of you who could back this product financially and the offers to help have been non-stop. And I love the Packer Board idea. Splendid and close to my heart. ;)

That being said, money has never been the issue. If it were that easy, we'd have more money than the Packers. There's work to be done here yet, but I'm confident that smart people will make smart decisions and in a quick time frame. Stay tuned. To Commissioner Greg, the richest man in town!