Official Statement From Liberty Media

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:43 am

Originally posted by Larry Schechter:

Okay, now I'm a little confused, too. Fanball announced they are shutting down and not starting any new games, and NFBC is part of Fanball...but I see that on the main page they are still accepting new entries for NFBC. Larry, see my response above. Registration is still open for the NFBC, the message boards are still alive for the NFBC and Tom and I are still working hard each day on the NFBC. Those can only be encouraging signs. And while I know time is of the essence here for everyone who needs to make decisions and make travel plans and get permission from the spouses to play this year ;) , I'm going to ask everyone to just be patient for a little longer. I think everyone involved will figure this out shortly and let everyone know what happens next. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:05 am

I just hope for everybody's sake including the NFBC, that if the decision is made to move forward that it's announced sooner than later. As time moves on, the cost goes higher and the decision on whether to attend a live event may be impacted for many.

Of course, this pales in importance to the staff members that wait in limbo to know about their employment.

[ January 14, 2011, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Fourslot40 ]

lschechter

Post by lschechter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:44 am

Thanks Greg. That's what I thought.

I guess it is a good sign that they haven't shut down the NFBC signups nor this board. They have shut down the other Fanball baseball signups and message boards.

If there is an NFBC this year, I want to take Tom out for a beer...there should be a lot of interesting stuff to talk about. Stuff you're probably not at liberty to say now, but could talk about by then.

Likewise, at LABR, I want to sit next to Greg at a spring training game and buy him a beer.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:04 am

Originally posted by Larry Schechter:

Likewise, at LABR, I want to sit next to Greg at a spring training game and buy him a beer. You must not know me very well Larry. It takes more than one beer to get this bird chirping, especially at a spring training baseball game!! :D Have the wallet out if you plan on buying me BEERSSSSSS. ;)

Right now we're just hoping for the best and praying something can be worked out.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:20 am

I want a pony.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

lschechter

Post by lschechter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:24 am

Greg, how many beers does it take to get you in bed?

(Not that I want to do that, just curious...)

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:25 am

Man, with the amount of beers that Greg and Tom will have bought for them, it may seem like their running 12 drafts at once rather than three!

Cheers!

Schwartzstops

Post by Schwartzstops » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:31 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by Schwartzstops:

Hate to ask a blunt question, but I haven't seen this directly answered yet on this thread or really anywhere else on the boards: if I sign up for the main event today, what happens after 6/30/11?

Like many others who have commented on this and other threads, I have ultimate confidence in Greg and Tom to run the NFBC. But I'd still like to know who's going to be running a web site with stats and standings, holding the money, paying out winners at the end, etc.? Cory, we are still taking signups for the Main Event and already have 117 of the 390 spots filled. We obviously are not taking payments or hitting credit cards at this time or with any of the new signups and Liberty Media has stated that Fanball will not be running any new games in 2011. The company will still have some employees through the end of June to wind down operations and fulfill current games, but it obviously isn't starting any game like the NFBC and then passing on the contest to another provider on June 30th.

Instead, we're staying confident here that something good will still happen for 2011. Don't sign up for anything until you know more and feel confident in the future plans, if there are any, but stay tuned here because a decision one way or another will be made shortly. Thanks man and thanks for all your support.
[/QUOTE]Greg, thanks for the reply. I'm still interested in signing up if/when you get something fairly certain as far as who will be hosting the website, handling the money, etc. Fortunately it's only mid-January and we have some time, so I'll look forward to good news on the MB's. To echo everyone else here, thanks for your hard work getting the NFBC to this point, and for keeping it going beyond this...

DrDobs

Post by DrDobs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:45 am

Wow, this is big news! I haven't been around for a few months and I've only read the first few pages of this thread but let me say a few things..

#1) It's no surprise Fanball went down in the toilet. I'm not bashing here but I'm sorry I warned Greg & Tom *LONG* ago well before they came over here they were going to have problems. With all the hassles and problems getting the 2010 baseball season off the ground, NOBODY should be surprised by this..

#2) Why is everybody so concerned about the future? Greg & Tom should easily be able to get the NFBC/NFFC over to another stat service to run the program. There ought to be plenty of options out there not to mention going back to STATS of which that split was supposedly a 'friendly' one to begin with.

Jon

Tax Man

Post by Tax Man » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:07 am

quote:Originally posted by Schwartzstops:

Hate to ask a blunt question, but I haven't seen this directly answered yet on this thread or really anywhere else on the boards: if I sign up for the main event today, what happens after 6/30/11?

Like many others who have commented on this and other threads, I have ultimate confidence in Greg and Tom to run the NFBC. But I'd still like to know who's going to be running a web site with stats and standings, holding the money, paying out winners at the end, etc.? Cory, we are still taking signups for the Main Event and already have 117 of the 390 spots filled. We obviously are not taking payments or hitting credit cards at this time or with any of the new signups and Liberty Media has stated that Fanball will not be running any new games in 2011. The company will still have some employees through the end of June to wind down operations and fulfill current games, but it obviously isn't starting any game like the NFBC and then passing on the contest to another provider on June 30th.

Instead, we're staying confident here that something good will still happen for 2011. Don't sign up for anything until you know more and feel confident in the future plans, if there are any, but stay tuned here because a decision one way or another will be made shortly. Thanks man and thanks for all your support.
[/QUOTE]What about those of us who already paid for the main because they carried over $ insted of taking the payout. For example - I won a $125 satellite and rolled the $1300 to the 2011 Main. On 12/28 I got an email from Fanball confirming my registration for the 2011 Main.

Once I read about the fanball closing I went to the site to see if I could still request a check for the $1300 (that option was up there the last I checked). That option no longer exists.

Im sure ill have to wait for the answer but is fanball going to reimburse me if they dont run the NFBC? Or did they know they were closing up shop and take the $1300 on 12/28 then go public with the news the first week of January? Sounds extremely fishy and $1300 is nothing to sneeze at in my house.

Again - i know my questions have no answer today but I am eagerly awaiting a resolution to this.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 am

Yes, all winnings including the Main Event entries will have to be settled up and payments made. That includes what you won. There was a monetary amount to that prize from revenues received and you earned it. Instead of transferring it over to 2011 entries we need to get that payment to you instead and hope that you will return in 2011 if anything is available. I hope that answers your question.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Paperboys

Post by Paperboys » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 am

#2) Why is everybody so concerned about the future? Greg & Tom should easily be able to get the NFBC/NFFC over to another stat service to run the program. There ought to be plenty of options out there not to mention going back to STATS of which that split was supposedly a 'friendly' one to begin with.

JonPotential non-compete clauses in the contracts of Greg and Tom, Liberty maintaining the rights to the NFBC trademark, and that little thing called "start-up capital" that will be needed almost immediately. Those are just three reasons people are very concerned off the top of my head. It's not quite as easy just saying "poof" and being back on STATS. Even then there was Krause Publications backing the venture.

Greg seems to be cautiously optimistic, so I'll reflect his demeanor, but this is far from a slam dunk at this point. Even he will admit as much I would think.

lschechter

Post by lschechter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:13 am

DOBS -- the concern is because Fanball owns NFBC and can do whatever they want with it, including shut it down. And presumably, Greg and Tom are under "no compete" clauses and would have to be let out of them to do something on their own.

Tax Man

Post by Tax Man » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:23 am

Yes, all winnings including the Main Event entries will have to be settled up and payments made. That includes what you won. There was a monetary amount to that prize from revenues received and you earned it. Instead of transferring it over to 2011 entries we need to get that payment to you instead and hope that you will return in 2011 if anything is available. I hope that answers your question. Sounds good Greg - but is that something I can do now? Or do I have to wait for a resolution before getting the $$ back?

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 am

Of course I have not read any "noncompete clauses" here, but my initial reaction is that Fanball isn't in the fantasy business any more so there is nothing to compete against. The point of the usual clause is to not compete against them and take business. So, my guess is this is a non-issue.

[ January 14, 2011, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: The Mighty Men ]
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:32 am

Originally posted by Tax Man:

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Yes, all winnings including the Main Event entries will have to be settled up and payments made. That includes what you won. There was a monetary amount to that prize from revenues received and you earned it. Instead of transferring it over to 2011 entries we need to get that payment to you instead and hope that you will return in 2011 if anything is available. I hope that answers your question. Sounds good Greg - but is that something I can do now? Or do I have to wait for a resolution before getting the $$ back? [/QUOTE]It will likely be automatically done for you. Same for those who kept money in account. I should have the details for how this will be done shortly and when it will be paid out, but we are going to create an easy process to make this happen for those instances.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Tax Man

Post by Tax Man » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:34 am

Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

Of course I have not read any "noncompete clauses" here, but my initial reaction is that Fanball isn't in the fantasy business any more so there is nothing to compete against. The point of the usual clause is to not compete against them and take business. So, my guess is this is a non-issue. I agree with that take

Paperboys

Post by Paperboys » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:43 am

Of course I have not read any "noncompete clauses" here, but my initial reaction is that Fanball isn't in the fantasy business any more so there is nothing to compete against. The point of the usual clause is to not compete against them and take business. So, my guess is this is a non-issue. I'd say that probably depends on what they are agreeing to in any sort of a buy-out package. Don't assume Liberty is just going to cut them free to do what they want if they're still paying them a salary through June.

Jim Christie

Post by Jim Christie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 am

Originally posted by Fourslot40:

Ahh the days of Strat-o-Matic and mail-in roto leagues. Good times.

I played for years in a great Strato league. We kept stats and pro-rated AB's and IP's for realism. One night a week, getting the guys together, having some beers and watching the ball games while playing. Trash talkin and good times.

I miss that. Started playing Strat-O-Matic in the mid 60's; 1969 our MVP (we called him the 92 AB ex-convict) Gates Brown. (based on his 1968 Stats). We made Al Worthington, a top RP for the Twins into a SP and he was the Cy Young winner :cool:
"Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

Tax Man

Post by Tax Man » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 am

quote:Originally posted by Tax Man:

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Yes, all winnings including the Main Event entries will have to be settled up and payments made. That includes what you won. There was a monetary amount to that prize from revenues received and you earned it. Instead of transferring it over to 2011 entries we need to get that payment to you instead and hope that you will return in 2011 if anything is available. I hope that answers your question. Sounds good Greg - but is that something I can do now? Or do I have to wait for a resolution before getting the $$ back? [/QUOTE]It will likely be automatically done for you. Same for those who kept money in account. I should have the details for how this will be done shortly and when it will be paid out, but we are going to create an easy process to make this happen for those instances.
[/QUOTE]Thanks Greg! Im coming back so I can be first to Three-Peat as a league champion in the Main!! (ill just hide the check from my wife when it comes....)

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:57 am

I just booked Vegas for both NFBC weekends. One way or another I expect to be there hanging out with Greg and several hundred other guys drafting baseball teams.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

I want a pony. Here you go Tom!

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DrDobs

Post by DrDobs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Originally posted by Paperboys:

quote:

JonPotential non-compete clauses in the contracts of Greg and Tom, Liberty maintaining the rights to the NFBC trademark, and that little thing called "start-up capital" that will be needed almost immediately. Those are just three reasons people are very concerned off the top of my head. It's not quite as easy just saying "poof" and being back on STATS. Even then there was Krause Publications backing the venture.

Greg seems to be cautiously optimistic, so I'll reflect his demeanor, but this is far from a slam dunk at this point. Even he will admit as much I would think. [/QUOTE]#1 - Non-compete clauses shouldn't play into effect here and frankly are very very difficult to get a court order for anyway. The reality is that Liberty Media has seized to offer the opportunity for the NFBC to exist. This would seriously dampen their argument in a non-compete argument in court. This is assuming of course Liberty Media wanted to spend the money to even do so!

#2 - They needn't call it the "NFBC" No problem rebranding the name to "National Championship of Fantasy Baseball" - woola.. NCFB - done..

#3 - There is not a lot of startup capital needed.. We live in a digital age.. A couple grand to setup a company, start taking payments, this thing is self funded.. The only caveot would be getting a stat service on board. Hell they could probably hire a programmer for a few thousand a month to customise www.myfantasyleague.com which is an open source stat service - fully customizable and pretty damn decent..

Come on guys.. this isn't that difficult... should I start it up?

Jon

DrDobs

Post by DrDobs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Of course I have not read any "noncompete clauses" here, but my initial reaction is that Fanball isn't in the fantasy business any more so there is nothing to compete against. The point of the usual clause is to not compete against them and take business. So, my guess is this is a non-issue. This is absolutely the case... Non competes are very difficult to prove in court anyway.. For that matter, Tom & Greg should consider suing LM for default of contract... then just simple settle for the right to take the name and start over.. which I'm sure LM attorney's would happily oblige...

DrDobs

Post by DrDobs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Greg and/or Tom need to contact CBSSports.com

That's a robust stat service, they've been taking a little bit of a beating the past few years to the 'free' competition... I have a feeling they'd welcome with open arms some type of arrangement to host NFBC leagues - either as a partner in the venture or simply license draft rooms, etc to Greg & Tom.. Probably do so at a minimal charge...