Countdown to the NFBC

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:21 am

It's less than 5 weeks until the start of the first Main Event weekend. I can not wait.

I know I'm borrowing the original idea for a Countdown from another contest for another sport. Well too bad. ;)

I'll be adding some twists & commentary to keep it topical and ummmmm interesting (well, at least to me).

This won't be a thread showing the best player to have worn each jersey number. Instead expect a thread showing the player who best helps tell the story about us in the NFBC and what we do and think about as we count down the days to our event. :cool:

34 DAYS 'til the blood, sweat, & tears of our quest begins.......

[ February 16, 2011, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:56 am

33 DAYS 'til we chase the numbers that can bring us fortune & fame....

[ February 16, 2011, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:24 pm

32 DAYS 'til the season we induct our inaugural HOF class. Who says you need more than 7 "great" years to be a HOFer? Some didn't even need that many.....

[ February 16, 2011, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

DOUGHBOYS

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 am

Great stuff, Glenn. :D

On tv back then, we could barely tell what some pitches were. The centerfield camera didn't come until after Koufax retired. But, he was the best I never saw. We judged on how batters looked in taking a swing. He made a lot of Major League hitters look like overmatched high schoolers.

By the way, Koufax did have a 12 year career. It took him six to get over his wildness, or in todays vernacular, his loss of command.

Like Jim Brown in football, a year before, Koufax career, ended at its peak in 1966.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Winston's Empire

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Winston's Empire » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:50 am

Good stuff Glenn! I just realized you were doing a countdown... Look forward to seeing what you come up over the next month!

I never got to see Koufax pitch either, but I think the following sums it up!

"Hitting against him is like eating soup with a fork," Pittsburgh Pirates slugger Willie Stargell said.
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:24 pm

31 DAYS 'til we implement our draft strategies. Scarcity approach anyone? ......

[ February 16, 2011, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Edwards Kings

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:10 am

Or will you be betting on a return to form?

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

WOODERSON

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by WOODERSON » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

no doubt about why the Braves got rid of him!

Navel Lint

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:27 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

31 days 'til we implement our draft strategies. Scarcity approach anyone? ......

Love the pics. Makes the countdown something to look forward to.

I can understand the Mets love, but for me, 31 could be split between two great Cubs; F Jenkins and G Maddux. But that's just me, keep up the great work
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

DOUGHBOYS

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:39 am

I had Maddux at 31, should have known Glenn's bias of the Mets :D

Great stuff, Glenn!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:43 am

Glenn. You’re doing a great job with pics. Keep up the good work.

But here is a challenge to make it even more interesting. With 30 days remaining, can you cover all 30 teams (or variations of each team, ex. Wash/Mon) with jersey number pics?
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Gates

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Gates » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:28 am

Originally posted by Navel Lint:

Glenn. You’re doing a great job with pics. Keep up the good work.

But here is a challenge to make it even more interesting. With 30 days remaining, can you cover all 30 teams (or variations of each team, ex. Wash/Mon) with jersey number pics? Glen

I'd love a Tim Raines pick for 30...
Go ahead, make my day...

Quahogs

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Quahogs » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:31 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

HA ! look at this, someone forward this to Childs ! lol

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:47 am

Hey Guys, I'm really happy you're enjoying the thread. I'm enjoying putting it together and adding to it each day.

One thing you should know....

Initially, my plan was to do the expected and post a picture of my choice of who the "Best Player" is to have worn the jersey number that corresponds to the remaining days in my Countdown.

When I got to Koufax, I decided that would be too predictable and decided to veer off in another direction. I decided then that the player chosen won't necessarily be the best player to have worn that number (though Piazza still easily applies.... )

Instead I decided to use this Countdown not only to count the days to our event, but to tell a story about us who play the NFBC as we prepare for the event. The "best player" isn't always going to be the "best choice" for helping tell that story.

I'll change my initial post in the thread so anyone starting from the beginning will understand what I'm doing.

I hope anyone following along still enjoys the thread as much as I'm enjoying putting it together.

Glenn

Navel Lint

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:21 am

When I got to Koufax, I decided that would be too predictable and decided to veer off in another direction. I decided then that the player chosen won't necessarily be the best player to have worn that number (though Piazza still easily applies.... )

Instead I decided to use this Countdown not only to count the days to our event, but to tell a story about us who play the NFBC as we prepare for the event. The "best player" isn't always going to be the "best choice" for helping tell that story.

Glenn Great idea. Too bad you didn't start the countdown at 44 to match the way last season started (I'll let you figure the player out :D )
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

Cocktails and Dreams

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 am

If I don't get my research ramped up my strategy will be trying to match this.

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:32 pm

30 days 'til we implement our draft strategies. If the scarcity approach isn't your cup of tea, you could always utilize the acclaimed Shawn Childs 75-75 plan & focus on the top power/speed options in the 1st three rounds......

Since there's another player who wore #30 that fits this strategy's bill, let's toss a bone to Gaetan ;) ....

[ February 16, 2011, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Gates

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Gates » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 am

30 days 'til we implement our draft strategies. If the scarcity approach isn't your cup of tea, you could always utilize the acclaimed Shawn Childs 75-75 plan & focus on the top power/speed options in the 1st three rounds......

Since there's another player who wore #30 that fits this strategy's bill, let's toss a bone to Gaetan ;) ....

Glenn

You are a true gentlemen, thank you very much!!!

Gaetan

Go ahead, make my day...

Winston's Empire

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Winston's Empire » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:51 am

NICE STUFF GLENN... Both very fitting #30's!
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 pm

29 DAYS 'til we implement our draft strategies. If neither the scarcity approach nor the 75-75 plan is for you, or if your name is Jim Stanard, maybe the all-reliever strategy is the way to go. Just remember Jim, 900 innings minimum this year .....

Winston's Empire

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Winston's Empire » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 am

Dan Quisenberry.... WOW, thats a great blast from the past Glenn! Awesome picture too. I was curious so I looked up his career stats...

12 Year Career

1043.1 IP

2.76 ERA

1.175 WHIP

379 K's - :eek:

244 S's

56 W's

Played for KC twice, STL, and SF at the end.

Its always fun to walk down memory lane in baseball, keep up the good work buddy!
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Winston's Empire

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Winston's Empire » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 am

I was wrong about him playing for KC twice... I just read that wrong, he got traded in the middle of 1988.
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:31 am

28 DAYS 'til Mr. Jupinka begins his defense as our current Overall Champion. An amazing job last year Steve, but I'm sure you know it won't be easy to repeat. In just 4 weeks, 389 others will be trying to knock you off your throne. :eek: I wouldn't get too comfy on any of your thrones either Jeff, Jaime, and Chad. ;) I wonder what it feels like being in the sights of that many guns? Honestly, it must be cool as hell. :cool: Congrats again guys, time to try to kick your assets. .....

jdoggmms

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by jdoggmms » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:48 am

I'm sure this will be my favorite photo in your countdown Glenn...my team in all its glory. Last year was truly a dream season - and a fitting end to the year of the pitcher. I was at every home series all season - except the world series. Prices were exorbitant. I was able to land a pair of tickets to game 6 at face value, but I'm glad I never had to use them.

28 DAYS 'til Mr. Jupinka begins his defense as our current Overall Champion. An amazing job last year Steve, but I'm sure you know it won't be easy to repeat. In just 4 weeks, 389 others will be trying to knock you off your throne. :eek: I wouldn't get too comfy on any of your thrones either Jeff, Jaime, and Chad. ;) I wonder what it feels like being in the sights of that many guns? Honestly, it must be cool as hell. :cool: Congrats again guys, time to try to kick your assets. .....

Glenneration X

Countdown to the NFBC

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:06 am

27 DAYS 'til the fight for league championships begins. Choose your weapons carefully. Last year my weapons of choice were a laptop and my lucky Tom Seaver jersey. With some of the competition in these leagues, maybe a bat would have been a better option ......