Question for New Yorkers

viper

Question for New Yorkers

Post by viper » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:14 am

What is the subway I will need to get to the Hilton from Penn Station? What stop should I take? I should be getting to Penn Station about 1:30 on Friday and am actually staying at the Hilton.

Many Thanks

MikeB.

Question for New Yorkers

Post by MikeB. » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:37 am

Original directions were wrong.

[ March 16, 2005, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: MikeB. ]

King of Queens

Question for New Yorkers

Post by King of Queens » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:42 am

Originally posted by MikeB.:

Hey Viper,

You can take train 1, 2, 3 or 9 I believe right to Grand Central Station. When you get to Penn station, just buy a ticket to grand central. The Hilton is less than a mile walk from grand central or grab a cab. Good luck and see you there.

Mike B. Good Lord! You must really want this guy to get lost!

King of Queens

Question for New Yorkers

Post by King of Queens » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:48 am

Originally posted by viper:

What is the subway I will need to get to the Hilton from Penn Station? What stop should I take? I should be getting to Penn Station about 1:30 on Friday and am actually staying at the Hilton.

Many Thanks Penn Station is on the west side, Grand Central is on the east side. The hotel is on the west side. There is no train that goes from Penn Station to Grand Central. I'm still blown away by those directions.

Here's what you should do: when you get out of train in Penn Station, take the 1 or 9 uptown local train -- look for the red circles on the subway signs -- TWO stops to 50th Street. When you gome out of the train, you'll be on Broadway and 50th Street. You need to walk uptown a couple of blocks, then walk two blocks east (to your right).

If you have any problems, keep Rocky's cell phone handy.

Heffer

Question for New Yorkers

Post by Heffer » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:04 am

Your best bet is to just jump in a cab from Penn station, it probably will be about a $7-8 cab ride.Take the cab from 8th ave so you are already pointing uptown. Good luck :cool:
"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open."

Frank Zappa

Top Dawg

Question for New Yorkers

Post by Top Dawg » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:22 am

Gents - Where in NYC is the Hilton? Between what 2 streets? I'll be driving through the Lincoln Tunnel and probably parking at or near Port Authority. Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Top Dawg

Question for New Yorkers

Post by Top Dawg » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:52 am

I think I just found it on the map. Looks like it's around 54th street; just shy of Central Park. Not a bad walk from Port Authority if the weather is nice.

Correct me if I'm wrong about it being around 54th Street. Thanks.

Pete

MikeB.

Question for New Yorkers

Post by MikeB. » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:59 am

I am sorry Viper, the directions I originally posted were wrong. I had a brain fart. I will be having a beer before hand and watching NCAA hoops with a fellow drafter if you want to stop by, i will make it up to you. Sorry about that.

JerseyPaul

Question for New Yorkers

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:17 am

I'm not going to drive through the tunnel. As usual when I go into the City, I'm going to park at the North Bergen Park Ride (stay to the right after you pay the toll at Turnpike Exit 16 then take 1st possible right and right after the lane merge). Parking and bus is $7 and the bus goes every 10 minutes or so. Saves money and hassle.

From Port Authority I'd usually walk but since I'm fighting an ear infection, I'll take the "E" train on the 8th Avenue line "Uptown and Queens" 2 stops to "7th Avenue" which is 7th and 53rd, 1 block from the hotel.

For those coming into Penn, the "E" Train is also available. Also Uptown but 3 stops instead of 2.

[ March 16, 2005, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: JerseyPaul ]

King of Queens

Question for New Yorkers

Post by King of Queens » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:26 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:

For those coming into Penn, the "E" Train is also available. Also Uptown but 3 stops instead of 2. Good point, JP. The E train brings you right there. Faster than a taxi, too.

Top Dawg

Question for New Yorkers

Post by Top Dawg » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:37 am

JP - Thanks for the parking tip. I may give that a shot. Since my ears are fine, I'll give it a nice quick paced walk from the Port Authority regardless of where I park.

See you there this weekend.

Pete

viper

Question for New Yorkers

Post by viper » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:39 am

Can I confess to a bit of confusion? Hell, the Chicago and Toronto closing situation is much clearer.

If the "E" train works, do I take it uptown to the "7th Avenue" stop?

I was in NYC last year for the draft and the year before on a visit. God knows I am not familiar with everything but I can get my way around. The Hilton is on 54th and 6th. I also know that the north/south blocks are about 1/3 the length as the east/west blocks. I wonder why that is.

I'm actually planning to park at Metropark and take the Jersey Transit into the city.

JerseyPaul

Question for New Yorkers

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:02 am

Can I confess to a bit of confusion? Hell, the Chicago and Toronto closing situation is much clearer.

If the "E" train works, do I take it uptown to the "7th Avenue" stop?

I was in NYC last year for the draft and the year before on a visit. God knows I am not familiar with everything but I can get my way around. The Hilton is on 54th and 6th. I also know that the north/south blocks are about 1/3 the length as the east/west blocks. I wonder why that is.

I'm actually planning to park at Metropark and take the Jersey Transit into the city.
Yes, E "Uptown and Queens". Actually, the E goes to Queens. Do not take the C which runs on the same track.

viper

Question for New Yorkers

Post by viper » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:26 am

JerseyPaul,

are you drafting in NYC. If this works, I may owe you a drink.

Do you know much about the Metropark/Jersey Transit combo that I am getting into the city on?

JerseyPaul

Question for New Yorkers

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:15 am

JerseyPaul,

are you drafting in NYC. If this works, I may owe you a drink.

Do you know much about the Metropark/Jersey Transit combo that I am getting into the city on? We're in the same league.

I've never personally gone that way because I'm North of MetroPark. That's why I go up to Exit 16 (Eastern Spur of Tpke - to Lincoln Tunnel) and then bail out and go to the Park Ride. If you're coming up on the Garden State, I can see MetroPark as a good alternative. If the Turnpike is easier, then the North Bergen Park Ride makes sense.

Here's the Park/Ride schedule: www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

I'll probably take the 10:55A.M.