Who got no respect? and Who got all the love?

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:09 am

So, who was the surprise pick later in the draft than you expected? Also, who got picked much earlier than you expected?

In ours, (get ready guys to slam my poor league for being a bunch of drooling football fans) Barry Bonds was shown NO love. He got picked in the SIXTH round!

I was drafting solo so I did not take the time to write down everyones picks, so I cannot be too specific about the rounds (I will update as soon as the drafts are posted) but I saw three guys go earlier than expected:

Mark Loretta (actually saw him in another draft around the 7th round)

David Wright (great 1/3 season, but still seemed a bit early...not a second guess because I may have had my own faux pas)

Sean Casey (mine in the third or fourth round...I picked 14th so my odd/even picks kind of run together)

Any other surprises out there?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:24 am

I went into the draft gunning for Barry Bonds - and I took him, too. Earlier than anyone else?

I took him in round 2.

Dyv
Just Some Guy

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:58 am

I GOT KERRY WOOD in round 9 2nd pick. Most leagues he went about the 5th round.Also the BIG SEXY in round 8 was a suprise.I was in the famous league 7. pick 1 PULJOS 2 SHEETS 3 E CHAVEZ 4 V WELLS 5 CARLOS LEE 6 B BOONE 7 F CORDERO 8 SEXSON 9 WOOD 10 A BERROA. LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE I LIKE MY CHANCES. EDDIEJAG
EDWARD J GILLIS

crazytown

Post by crazytown » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:54 am

famous league 7 here too. Maybe I helped in become a little famous myself. I got Bonds in round 5. Eddie had to take Woods in the 9th.

I walked around the room and saw Bonds went in the 2nd or 3rd in all leagues except mine and league 6.

Goggles Pisano

Post by Goggles Pisano » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:34 am

NY League #5, Pick 6

I was very happy to get Roger Clemens in the 7th Round. I knew about the injury news but I still felt he should NOT have been available that late. Expected him to be gone round 4-5.

Closers and steals were way too expensive in my league and Mike Piazza went in the 4th or 5th and the owner already had Victor Martinez. I'll admit I wanted him, but not before round 8.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:33 am

I was in Vegas league six and if I remember correctly bonds went in 3rd or 4th and so did prior.

But what blew me away was:

Ordonez in the 2nd round!!! yes, that is right, in the second. I know he seems ok, but seriously, the 2nd?

Aramis Ramirez - 1st round, 15th pick overall. I like Ramirez, but before Ichiro? before Scheff? Before a Texeira???

I was able to get Woods in the 8th, Bonderman in the 15th... Overall a pretty good draft

Chris

Evil Empire

Post by Evil Empire » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:37 am

Absolutely before Ichiro and Sheff. He will put up MVP numbers.

P.S. last years champ took him pick 13 in round 1.

nydownunder

Post by nydownunder » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:38 am

I wouldn't call these huge surprises, but nonetheless valuable.

Vernon Wells in the 7th & Khalil Greene in the 16th.

...and Ibanez and Nixon in the 18th & 19th. With averages like that, they shouldn't have lasted that long.

My league went SB and Save happy....EARLY!
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:43 am

GCA, I look at it this way, whether or not Aramis beats out Ichiro for total value, the fact there are tons of 3b this year... And before Texiera? hard to argue that was a good pick...