Kenley Jansen

Tom Kessenich

Kenley Jansen

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 24, 2011 2:52 am

So much for him staking a claim to the closer's job with the Dodgers.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KJ Duke

Kenley Jansen

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 24, 2011 5:07 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

So much for him staking a claim to the closer's job with the Dodgers. He didn't pitch poorly, just some great ABs by the Astros - but with close to 40 pitches thrown he shouldn't get the call for a couple days. Guerrier looked worse in the 8th but had better luck.

Tom Kessenich

Kenley Jansen

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

So much for him staking a claim to the closer's job with the Dodgers. He didn't pitch poorly, just some great ABs by the Astros - but with close to 40 pitches thrown he shouldn't get the call for a couple days. Guerrier looked worse in the 8th but had better luck. [/QUOTE]I thought he pretty much unraveled. He struggled to find the plate and get ahead in the count. He only needed one out to get out of the jam but he was unable to locate his fastball effectively. Pretty brutal outing.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KJ Duke

Kenley Jansen

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 24, 2011 7:41 am

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

So much for him staking a claim to the closer's job with the Dodgers. He didn't pitch poorly, just some great ABs by the Astros - but with close to 40 pitches thrown he shouldn't get the call for a couple days. Guerrier looked worse in the 8th but had better luck. [/QUOTE]I thought he pretty much unraveled. He struggled to find the plate and get ahead in the count. He only needed one out to get out of the jam but he was unable to locate his fastball effectively. Pretty brutal outing.
[/QUOTE]Bad call by the catcher to throw a breaking ball to Hall on an 0-2 count, he hadn't come within a foot of reaching either of his fastballs. Then, after Sanchez fouled off about a dozen strikes and eventaully walked, he was gassed and hits a batter on another 0-2 count and gave up the winner on a groundball single. He doesn't have great control but is almost un-hittable and it easily could've been a 123 inning.

BEF

Kenley Jansen

Post by BEF » Tue May 24, 2011 8:44 am

I was at this game last night (in Houston for business). Jansen threw everything at around 92-93mph, which is just a bit below his usual 94-95. The main problem was, as usual, lack of control over that heat. When he missed the zone, he missed big. He was on his way to a usual Jasen inning (2 baserunners alternated with 2 strikeouts), but the really unforgivable part of it was hitting Clint Barmes with two outs to load the bases.

Clint Barmes is horrible. No other way to put it. Of all the batters to lose, he's the last guy you want to lose it to because he had no chance of getting a hit. But then you just knew that Pence would take care of business once Barmes went to first.

I don't have a natural rooting interest for either team but I do own Bourn in one league so those two ribbies and SB were nice to see. But overall it was just great to see a well-pitched game with an exciting finish.
"There is but one game and that game is baseball." – John McGraw

Tom Kessenich

Kenley Jansen

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 24, 2011 8:50 am

I agree that hitting Barmes was inexcusable. I also thought not getting ahead of Bourn was devastating because it meant he had to groove a hittable pitch. As Mitch Williams pointed out on the MLB Network, Bourn was the absolute worst guy for Jansen to face in that situation because he was just looking to slap the ball someplace and wasn't trying to drive it out of the park. So Jansen had to groove the pitch and Bourn slapped it down the right-field line to tie the game.

I think the Dodgers would love for Jansen to take the closer's job because he has great stuff. But his control issues are a major problem.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Dub

Kenley Jansen

Post by Dub » Tue May 24, 2011 12:28 pm

I agree that hitting Barmes was inexcusable. I also thought not getting ahead of Bourn was devastating because it meant he had to groove a hittable pitch. As Mitch Williams pointed out on the MLB Network, Bourn was the absolute worst guy for Jansen to face in that situation because he was just looking to slap the ball someplace and wasn't trying to drive it out of the park. So Jansen had to groove the pitch and Bourn slapped it down the right-field line to tie the game.

I think the Dodgers would love for Jansen to take the closer's job because he has great stuff. But his control issues are a major problem. If I drop him, they will make him closer. Meanwhile its the year of the STARTING pitcher. Lots of guys given the chance to close without success.

Sanchez

Boggs

Jensen

Burnett

Thorton

Sale

Guerirrer

Kuo

Jansen

Rodney

Fuentes

League

There's more I am sure
"I don't remmeber what I don't remember.”- Jerry Garcia

KJ Duke

Kenley Jansen

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 pm

I think the Dodgers would love for Jansen to take the closer's job because he has great stuff. But his control issues are a major problem. No worse than Kimbrel, he K's just as many and LA has worse secondary options than ATL. But it will come down to philosophy and I don't trust Mattingly to make a smart decision given his years under Torre.

BEF

Kenley Jansen

Post by BEF » Tue May 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Just got back from tonight's game, and they again played bullpen-by-committee but with a brand new set of arms. MacDougall takes the 7th, just like the night before. Then comes Rubby de la Rosa, throwing 96mph gas to cover the 8th. Then, the save goes to...Javy Guerra.

Wha???

So that's the 8th inning going to a guy making his debut, and the 9th inning (and save) going to a guy with 4 IP.

This team currently has five guys who all do the exact same thing...throw low 90s (higher for some), a few of them with decent breaking balls, but every one of them with control issues. I think we're going to see a half dozen different guys with at least one or two saves in the next month or so, unless/until one of them breaks out. My prediction is that guy will be de la Rosa.
"There is but one game and that game is baseball." – John McGraw