Interesting AL LABR League Results

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:01 am

The American League Auction for USA Today's LABR League was held last night here in Phoenix, and while it was interesting, it wasn't near as interesting as Rick Wolf's post-event party in a suite that Marilyn Monroe once stayed in. Man, there were Joe DiMaggio vibes everywhere!!! Great fun indeed.

While nobody is allowed to publish the results until after the issue hits the newsstands on March 17, I can give you some of the highlights. Alfonso Soriano was the highest paid player as he went for $43, Alex Rodriguez went for $41 and Carlos Beltran for $40. Other top hitters included Vladimir Guerrero for $35, Carl Crawford $35, Gary Sheffield $34, Miguel Tejada $33, Eric Chavez $32 and Nomar Garciaparra $31. Vernon Wells, Ichiro Suzuki, Magglio Ordonez and Manny Ramirez all went for $32.

For pitchers, Javier Vazquez went for the highest amount at $36 (yeah, surprise), while Tim Hudson went for $33. Pedro Martinez went for $33, Mariano $32, and Keith Foulke, Curt Schilling and Roy Halladay for $31. Only six closers went for more than $20, which is interesting.

Top rookie was Bobby Crosby at $14, while Joe Mauer went for $9.

It's the NL tonight. I'll give you the results of my team and you boys can really act like sharks, with me as the bait. But nibble on these numbers for awhile and enjoy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:19 am

Some real shockers there, Greg. Hope you weren't the one who paid $43 for Alfonso Samuel, er, Soriano.

Looking forward to the NL update

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:17 am

Greg - I'm a bit upset with the results. Vazquez was my "sleeper" pick for round 6.... Now what am I going to do????

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:59 am

Originally posted by Top Dawg:

Greg - I'm a bit upset with the results. Vazquez was my "sleeper" pick for round 6.... Now what am I going to do????

Pete Vazquez is clearly quality merchandise but keep this in mind, except for the Red Sox, the Yankees probably have the toughest matchups in MLB. They will play 19 games against each of their Division rivals.

The Red Sox need no introduction.

Toronto is a powerhouse with Delgado, Wells, Hinske, Phelps, etc.

Baltimore is no pushover with Palmeiro, Tejada, Gibbons and...

Tampa Bay may be the scariest with all that speed.

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:49 am

Just looking - If the Yankees and Red Sox have the hardest schedules, then you're telling me that Toronto, Baltimore and Tampa have easier schedules? Let me hope you are in my league :D

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:26 am

Just looking - If the Yankees and Red Sox have the hardest schedules, then you're telling me that Toronto, Baltimore and Tampa have easier schedules? Let me hope you are in my league :D

Pete LOL...right you are. I guess I was focusing in on the teams with the target players. It does also give some pause to the Halladay fans. It won't be fun being a Baltimore, TB or Toronto pitcher.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:56 am

Pete Whoops, looks like Just Lookin' should move along and stop looking. What are you, "Just" a contest bulletin board stalker?

Register on the board and sign up for the contest or move along ...

D
Just Some Guy

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:49 am

Originally posted by Dyv:

quote:Originally posted by Top Dawg:

Pete Whoops, looks like Just Lookin' should move along and stop looking. What are you, "Just" a contest bulletin board stalker?

Register on the board and sign up for the contest or move along ...

D
[/QUOTE]

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:50 am

You really are one rude person, Dyv.

Leaderboard Sports

Post by Leaderboard Sports » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:04 am

Originally posted by :

You really are one rude person, Dyv. Ain't he though :D

I've tried putting a muzzle on him but he chews right through it.

Maybe one of those shocker collars would work.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:32 am

Originally posted by :

You really are one rude person, Dyv. Confucius say, "Better to be rude than to be an anonymous stalker without cojones who lurks on a board for a contest he's not even involved with"

Why are you here? Move along, little doggy - there are schoolyards to stalk.

Dyv
Just Some Guy

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:52 pm

Dyv, just like a woman, you always have to have the last word.

Al R.

Post by Al R. » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:37 pm

Just Lookin, enjoy and ignore the pompous ass....I want to see where this jerkoff finishes.....

Would love to see him fall flat on his face.......

Sure has alot to live up to with all the talking he's doing....

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:42 pm

Originally posted by Al R.:

Just Lookin, enjoy and ignore the pompous ass....I want to see where this jerkoff finishes.....

Would love to see him fall flat on his face.......

Sure has alot to live up to with all the talking he's doing.... Oh, Al - you always do get so carried away. I haven't posted a single word bragging of my skill or prowess on this board. Kind of hard to even follow what you mean when you say 'sure has alot to live up to with all the talking he's doing'

I just put in a few light jabs with Gekko and stand up against anonymous stalkers. Is that really all bad? Have I really ruined your day, pal?

I'm just sad that you and I won't get to spend some quality time together now. Al, you and I could have been such good friends...

:( :( :(

D
Just Some Guy

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:44 pm

Oh... almost forgot:

p.s. What would "Just Lookin" enjoy? He's not even in the contest... it's almost like he's not even real. I feel like he's violating my privacy by 'just lookin' at me all the time. I tell ya, it creeps me out much more than Gekko's teeth.
Just Some Guy

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:22 am

Originally posted by :

Dyv, just like a woman, you always have to have the last word.

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:09 pm

Originally posted by :

quote:Originally posted by :

Dyv, just like a woman, you always have to have the last word. [/QUOTE]Yes, dear.
Just Some Guy