Remember New Pitchers Rule For Last 2 Weeks Of NFBC Season

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:11 am

This is an official heads up to all NFBC owners that we did add a new twist to the NFBC rules this year for all of our contests. Under Lineup Submission (No. 11 in the Classic Rules), we added this line which will affect your strategies in September:

"during the last two weeks of the regular season only, we will allow owners to replace any pitchers in their starting lineup with reserves on Friday, just like hitters. But this applies ONLY to the last two weeks of the season."

We put this rule in place this year because MLB teams often make starting pitcher changes down the stretch as they work in minor-league callups, shut down veterans at the last minute due to innings pitched or injuries, etc. There is far too much money on the line for fantasy titles to be won by these last minute pitching changes and yet this still won't turn the NFBC into a streaming pitchers league.

We will continue to remind all owners via the NFBC newsletter and the message boards, but please note this and plan accordingly as you construct your rosters for the stretch run. This will affect lineups set starting on Sept. 12th and 19th, with Friday changes on Sept. 16th and 23rd. Thanks and good luck everyone.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:09 am

One vote to ditch this rule for 2012.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

swampass

Post by swampass » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:25 am

are there any changes to the DL rule in last few weeks? i only ask because towards the end of the year teams generally dont place players on the DL. i know its been a topic of discussion in the past and i just want to make sure that im clear on this issue.

thanks.. and good luck to all.

Post by 751542 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:02 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

One vote to ditch this rule for 2012. one vote to keep this rule!
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 am

Originally posted by swampass:

are there any changes to the DL rule in last few weeks? i only ask because towards the end of the year teams generally dont place players on the DL. i know its been a topic of discussion in the past and i just want to make sure that im clear on this issue.

thanks.. and good luck to all. No, we tried that before. No change to the DL rule.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:30 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by swampass:

thanks.. and good luck to all. No, we tried that before. No change to the DL rule.
[/QUOTE]Doesn't this rule also deal with pitchers not being placed on the DL, as well as those Greg listed above? With the Friday rule for hitters, it is moot. But this rule covers half of September, with respect to pitchers being needed to be on the DL in order to be replaced.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:15 am

Originally posted by RoundTrippers:

quote:Originally posted by bjoak:

One vote to ditch this rule for 2012. one vote to keep this rule! [/QUOTE]Two votes to keep it.

I feel like I'm in Iowa, voting in a non-election that will be forgotten very, very soon.

[ August 16, 2011, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 am

Are you guys in favor of streaming pitchers in general? I'm confused as to why anyone would not want that and then suddenly have it for a couple weeks at the end.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:31 am

Are you guys in favor of streaming pitchers in general? I'm confused as to why anyone would not want that and then suddenly have it for a couple weeks at the end. No, and because there is no DL.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:03 am

Are you guys in favor of streaming pitchers in general? I'm confused as to why anyone would not want that and then suddenly have it for a couple weeks at the end. No, I'm not in favor of streaming pitchers in the NFBC events. It changes the dynamics of the contest completely in a direction I don't want to go.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bobby D

Post by Bobby D » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Is this for Sat leagues too?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Originally posted by Bobby D:

Is this for Sat leagues too? It is set up this way for ALL NFBC leagues, yes. Good luck Bobby.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:13 am

[ September 01, 2011, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Oaktown ]

WOODERSON

Post by WOODERSON » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by RoundTrippers:

One vote to ditch this rule for 2012. one vote to keep this rule! [/QUOTE]Two votes to keep it.

I feel like I'm in Iowa, voting in a non-election that will be forgotten very, very soon.
[/QUOTE]Three votes to keep it.

Money

Post by Money » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:29 am

Originally posted by WOODERSON:

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by RoundTrippers:

[/QUOTE]Three votes to keep it.
[/QUOTE]I'd vote against keeping this rule for 2012. I understand the logic behind it, but simply do not like changing the rules during a competition.

The pitchers that are effected most (by being shut down) are the young pitchers who have reached innings limits. When you draft or pick up any young pitcher that is the inherent risk. This now takes that out of the equation as you will be able to pick up the few starts elsewhere. I'm in contention in one league and will attempt to use it the best way I can, doesn't mean I have to like it.
Joe

Money

Post by Money » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:36 am

Originally posted by swampass:

thanks.. and good luck to all. The DL rule that is in effect for 2011 became more and more ridiculous to me this week. I have a pitcher on the DL (the team is non-competitive) this week and moved a pitcher into his spot last night. This morning I've decided that I'd like to use a different pitcher than the one I put in, guess what? It won't let me. So I guess once you've switched out the guy on the DL there is no going back. The heck with the Friday deadline it means nothing in this situation. This is another situation not addressed in the rules.
Joe

PittIsIt95

Post by PittIsIt95 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Originally posted by Money:

thanks.. and good luck to all. The DL rule that is in effect for 2011 became more and more ridiculous to me this week. I have a pitcher on the DL (the team is non-competitive) this week and moved a pitcher into his spot last night. This morning I've decided that I'd like to use a different pitcher than the one I put in, guess what? It won't let me. So I guess once you've switched out the guy on the DL there is no going back. The heck with the Friday deadline it means nothing in this situation. This is another situation not addressed in the rules.
[/QUOTE]Joe, it is simple design. You can't expect that you build a system that has to sit there and remember your past moves because people change their mind 3 times. That is lunacy.

The Friday rule is simple. Once you replace a DL'd player with a healthy player, the system is not going to have to remember what player you put in, then what if you change to someone else, and then someone else. You expect the system to track that? Sorry, but I design applications for a living and would tell the business/user in this case your request is nuts and a total waste of time due to it being so overly complicated.

Just learn the rule and wait till you KNOW who you want in your lineup on Friday DL moves.

When it comes to the beginning of hte week, you can swap players in and out all you want up till the deadline.

SOrry Joe, but in this case your whining and login in this case are not warranted or justified.

Money

Post by Money » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:51 am

Originally posted by PittIsIt95:

quote:Originally posted by Money:

[/QUOTE]Joe, it is simple design. You can't expect that you build a system that has to sit there and remember your past moves because people change their mind 3 times. That is lunacy.

The Friday rule is simple. Once you replace a DL'd player with a healthy player, the system is not going to have to remember what player you put in, then what if you change to someone else, and then someone else. You expect the system to track that? Sorry, but I design applications for a living and would tell the business/user in this case your request is nuts and a total waste of time due to it being so overly complicated.

Just learn the rule and wait till you KNOW who you want in your lineup on Friday DL moves.

When it comes to the beginning of hte week, you can swap players in and out all you want up till the deadline.

SOrry Joe, but in this case your whining and login in this case are not warranted or justified.
[/QUOTE]Thanks for the expert input. I really didn't make the post to appear as a whiner. Simply stating another reason (although small) why the Friday DL rule is BS. This rule will be changed next year, you can bet on that..

Thanks again for the response.
Joe

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:28 pm

One vote to ditch this rule for 2012. Agreed! These next 2.5 weeks are going to be a streaming contest regardless of the intention of the rule.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 am

Add another vote against. Don't like the idea of having different rules the last two weeks. Either allow it all year or not at all.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 am

Just a reminder that this Friday and next Friday you can move your pitchers as freely as your hitters. Good luck all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:12 am

Originally posted by Hells Satans:

Add another vote against. Don't like the idea of having different rules the last two weeks. Either allow it all year or not at all. I'll take the opposing viewpoint, sorry. At the end of the year with so much on the line, I want more control. I hate the idea of losing a money spot, a league, or an overall because of a late in the week managerial decision or injury. I like the rule, a lot.

Money

Post by Money » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:48 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

quote:Originally posted by Hells Satans:

Add another vote against. Don't like the idea of having different rules the last two weeks. Either allow it all year or not at all. I'll take the opposing viewpoint, sorry. At the end of the year with so much on the line, I want more control. I hate the idea of losing a money spot, a league, or an overall because of a late in the week managerial decision or injury. I like the rule, a lot. [/QUOTE]On the flip side of it Glenn how are you going to feel when you lose to a guy who was able to stream 45 starts in the last 2 and a half weeks. It's being used to stream pitchers a heck of a lot more than for the example you've sited.

I vote against and I more so vote against the Friday DL loophole. I'm pretty sure we agree on that one.

Go Lions!!! Oh, I mean Go Tigers!!!
Joe

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:06 am

I dislike this rule so much that I will cut back the number of leagues I do substantially if it's still around next year. The last two weeks become a FAAB fest, which, especially in 12 team leagues, depends on how many teams in your league are still paying attention.

I don't mind losing leagues because I drafted a crappy team. I don't want to be in leagues where I lose (or win) points in Ks and Wins because teams are able to get 15-18 starts a week with crappy pitchers who just pile up innings. There's noting wrong with a contest like that, it's just not one I want to spend money on.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:07 am

Originally posted by Money:

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

quote:Originally posted by Hells Satans:

Add another vote against. Don't like the idea of having different rules the last two weeks. Either allow it all year or not at all. I'll take the opposing viewpoint, sorry. At the end of the year with so much on the line, I want more control. I hate the idea of losing a money spot, a league, or an overall because of a late in the week managerial decision or injury. I like the rule, a lot. [/QUOTE]On the flip side of it Glenn how are you going to feel when you lose to a guy who was able to stream 45 starts in the last 2 and a half weeks. It's being used to stream pitchers a heck of a lot more than for the example you've sited.

I vote against and I more so vote against the Friday DL loophole. I'm pretty sure we agree on that one.

Go Lions!!! Oh, I mean Go Tigers!!!
[/QUOTE]I don't think your example would bother me at all Joe. Since I'd be able to stream as well, we'd both be on an even playing field.

What I can't deal with is counting on a starter based on the anticipated schedule at the beginning of the week and never getting that start due to a manager's whim or a fluke injury.

I am on board with you 100% as far as the Friday DL rule. That needs to be addressed as the way it currently works creates an uneven playing field since only some know the loophole is legal.