More drafting rounds!

Head 2 Head

More drafting rounds!

Post by Head 2 Head » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:52 am

I play in one other league - a 18 team Head to Head mixed league (auction) 30 players with three additional pickups available right after the draft (total roster limit of 36 with a max of 18 pitchers). We limit pickups to something (like 20), but these three additional rounds are only $1 FAAB. We use FAAB then switch to worst record in June to attempt to keep the bad teams competative (Along with paying out weekly winners). Half the teams don't stay for these pickups - the teams that think the draft goes too long - they usually end up near the bottom.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

Ken

More drafting rounds!

Post by Ken » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:14 am

I would like to see the auctions spread out over a few more days, maybe Thursday to Sunday. Greg can move the trade show up a day.

Moneymaker

More drafting rounds!

Post by Moneymaker » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:18 pm

I second that. Hold some auctions on a Sunday, and I'm there.
2005 NFBC Champion

Ken

More drafting rounds!

Post by Ken » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:39 pm

That would give me an excuse to leave Vegas on Monday as well and avoid the airport on Sundays :eek:

Greg Ambrosius

More drafting rounds!

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:32 am

Originally posted by Ken:

That would give me an excuse to leave Vegas on Monday as well and avoid the airport on Sundays :eek: Joining the Ultimate League on Sunday by yourself gives you 5,000 reasons to fly out on Monday! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Jackstraw

More drafting rounds!

Post by Jackstraw » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:02 am

I think you guys are right. Extend the event...

And, it brings up another thought. Which shows the greatest ability, an auction league or a draft league?

I personally think the auction league shows the most skill. In an auction league, you have two additional things that appear. One is everybody has an equal chance to get any player, and the second is that you have money management. But does money management show any real fantasy skills?
George
Smoky Mtn. Oysters
Chicago 4
Wildwood Weeds
Chicago 650 Mixed League Auction

Dyv

More drafting rounds!

Post by Dyv » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:05 am

Originally posted by :

I like the current system, as I have played in the football league and now the baseball. It like paying poker you never know how much to bid.

But think about this suggestion. Since the league does NOT allow trades. I believe that in addition to the current system we should add a trading system as to only trading reserves!! And if you make trade with other teams , once you trade YOU LOSE ALL your 1,000 money in Free agent pick ups OR existing money but you must have a min. of 700 dollars left WHy, because then people will use Free agents pick ups all season long until the end and then TRADE. And if you Trade you will be limited to 3 players in total to avoid colusion and side deals between owners.

That way you have a shot all year long and gives you another option its liek a trading deadline or just have ONE DAY during the whole season to have a TRADE DAY!! AND, on top of all that if you do trade you have to lose 2 bench spots and are only allowed 1 catcher in your starting lineup. And you have to eat red jello for 2 days after you make the trade. PLUS you have to put that pink windshield wiper fluid in your car (You know, that RV stuff that's non-toxic).

Let's make as many ridiculous elaborate changes as we can!

Dyv
Just Some Guy

Balticsquids

More drafting rounds!

Post by Balticsquids » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:24 am

I would also like to add, if u trade and come in last in your league ,next year u must draft in your wifes or girlfriends underwear , but if u dont give up a catcher and keep your 1b/3b u can wear them on your head .........These boards are great, guys are either crying over the player updates on the homepage being to fast or there making crazy changes to next years draft and league

Jackstraw

More drafting rounds!

Post by Jackstraw » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:29 am

This isn't about making changes to the current NFBC game. I think it is fine the way it is. But how do you develop the true "Ultimate" League, that is the point. IMHO, the NFBC's Ultimate League is about who has a lot of money to pay to get in that league. Does money equate to ability? I don't think so. Artie has some good ideas, heck, everybody has some good ideas. But what would be the true "Ultimate" league that decides who is the best player around?

Dyv, you've been around and played in both auctions and drafts... What do you think would be the perfect style of play?

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) By invitation only. No cost to the players. All prizes would be paid by sponsors of the league. For instance, take the top 15 finishers in the overall NFBC rankings as your players from the previous year. Or, take the top ten and round out the league with each of the auction league winners. Which ever way you do it, the league needs to be deep. At least 15 participants (maybe more), with the MLB universe available.

2) Auction League, without a doubt.

3) Then serpentine draft once you completed your line-up. How many rounds? Not sure, but definitely open to ideas of what everyone thinks is the best. This would be the supreme league (there, rather than infringe on all of the Ultimate League players, we can call our's the Supreme League) so time wouldn't be an issue. If we draft 500 rounds and it takes 2 days then so be it :rolleyes: Just whatever everyone would agree to be right.

4) I don't think trading should be outlawed in this league, but it definitely has to be monitored. There would have to be an unbiased commissioner of the league elected; somebody not in the league, I think.

I still have a lot of questions though, like should it be weekly lineup changes or daily? Do you go with FAAB or make it where only your original draft plays through the entire season? I want to hear some other ideas before I make my mind up where I stand on.

Remember, this is purely hypothetical, guys. This isn't a suggestion thread for Greg to make changes to the NFBC. Just a thread to see what experienced players who would pay a boatload of money to backup their fantasy integrity would do to have the perfect "supreme" league. But, if Greg were to take us up on it next season, then all the better, right? :D
George
Smoky Mtn. Oysters
Chicago 4
Wildwood Weeds
Chicago 650 Mixed League Auction

Dyv

More drafting rounds!

Post by Dyv » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:49 am

Well, from a hypothetical perspective:

1. Auction is fine, but you use your auction money for your whole roster, not just your starters. It's insane that I can't draft a rounded team with some solid backups with my money in an auction. Instead, I have to wait until everyone spends all their money so I can begin to think about a bench.

2. Trades are fine - just have to make sure there is no bias, no collusion... my best bet is to police it you allow the league to turn down the trade if 10/15 owners vote to veto it. Sure, quite a few trades might get turned down - but is that really that bad? Better than the 'none' we have now, right?

3. Daily start/bench activity should be allowed, but put start limits on each position. i.e. you get 162 3b starts. Use them daily if you like, but when they are done they're done.

4. FA should be a weekly budget and FA should clear once per week.

5. 15 teams, 30 man rosters, 1 DL spot.

Just my .02

Dyv
Just Some Guy