Las Vegas League 1 - First Weekend

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:50 am

I don't have many "real world" friends who can really appreciate the roller coaster of a night last night was, so let me tell my story here.

First off, Thanks to Greg/Tom for making all this possible. January was a dark month and nobody knew if there were ever going to be any more September stories like the one I am about to tell.

Let me set the stage. Las Vegas League 1 has been a battle since Opening Day, but at some point in the 2nd half KC Cha's Glendale team had asserted themselves as the cream of this crop. They spent more days in first place then any other team(Where have I heard that before?). But as the last few days drew near, their lead had all but evaporated and heading into the last day they had fallen to 2nd place at 105.5, a half point behind the hard changing Zefurs.1. One would think that KJ Duke would have bigger fish to fry but his 2nd place overall team was not his only money finishing team, that was just a start to his phenomenal season. Welcome to Stevieland and She Gave Gasoline stood at 104 and 102, respectively. So that is where we stood with Game 162 yet to be played.

As the night began, I knew what we needed. We had a batting average point that was attainable, and we need to maintain our strikeout position and our tenuous WHIP position with 2 starters pitching (Volstad, Lester) and 2 relievers who may enter the mix (Betancourt and Holland) So really 105 was our high water mark, with loads of potential to dip. I had identified a few spots where KJ and KC could lose points, but as Teixeira hit a few bombs catching KJ in homers those RBI's caught me as well. (I needed solo shots from She Gave Gasoline, not grand slams).

Anyhow as the night wore on my pitchers held their own building up 11 K's and a solid enough WHIP to hold off the Men W/O Helmets squad there. The kids needed to be enough as the team charging behind had some late starts. But as the night wore on my team was not hitting and I was running out of atbats. At one point late in the evening there was a Four-way tie for 1st place at 104 points, and that attainable batting average point was staring at a 3 for 30 night. Then Matt Kemp homers and KJ Duke is in 1st place (I thought to myself what does he need this Division title for when he may take home the overall). Through all this I am watching my Red Sox and all looks good for them during the rain delay. Then in his 3rd at bat Chase Utley gets a hit, 4 for 31, still not really close. Then Utley hits a sac fly pushing that game to extras and getting himself a much needed another atbat. Then James Loney hits a homer, 5 for 32, and my RBI lead looks ok, but my batting average still isn't where it needs to be. Then Utley singles in extras, 6 for 33, then Loney singles in his 4th atbat. 7 for 34, .206, and my hitters are done for the day. My strikeout lead is at 1, and I am begging for Gibson to take Joe Saunders out so that the Vipers remain 1 back, Gibson obliges. So as I sit there staring at my 7 for 34, the point I am chasing is 3 for 22, then Ortiz hits a dribbler and Wieters gets the force out at 2nd and Papi gets pinch run for, so he is now 3 for 23, still not enough for me to overtake him, but as the live scoring is going out ten digits or so I think we are out to the 6th digit, I realize that we are one at bat away from a batting average point and an outright lead in LV1. That team has just one batter still playing, Adam Kennedy. Kennedy is facing Gio Gonzalez in the most pivotal atbat for us, in the most insignificant of games. Gonzalez strikes out Kennedy and Welcome to Stevieland moves into first place for the first time all year. The only left is for Adam Kennedy not to bat again. Kennedy was left in the ondeck circle as Andrew Bailey struck out Mike Carp to end the game and the 2011 season. With the Sox loss and Rays win no playoff game is typically a somber night for Red Sox fans, but a part of me was glad to know that the season was over, as a 1 for 3 night from Ortiz would have changed everything again.

At the end of the night the standings were as follows:

Welcome to Stevieland 105

She Gave Me Gasoline 104

Zefurs.1 103.5

Glendale 102.5

Coldwater Coyotes 101.5

Gigglin Marlin 1 100

Welcome to Stevieland was finally able to achieve their elusive 2nd Division Title. As one of the Men W/O Helmets put it last night, "Look at this chaos up top." Wow, what a night! Thanks again Greg, for making nights like this possible. And thanks to all in LV1, what a year, what a grind, what a battle!
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:25 am

I got a chuckle thinking about you and your league last night, Andy.

If I've learned anything about being on the 'Advisory Board' it is that there is one soul out there who may micro-manage more than myself.

Picturing you poring over every stat move and pondering future stat moves had me laughing.

It looks like you had a perfect storm of a last day of the season, Andy. It's good to see all the hard work pay off.

Oh, one more thing I've learned on the Advisory Board, Andy has one of the best fantasy baseball minds I've encountered.

His success comes as no surprise to me.

Congrats Andy.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:53 am

Andy,

Sat right next to you from the 5-hole on Draft Day in Vegas. What a league filled with some of this event's finest.

I paid close attention even though my team had no stake in terms of cashing. I especially tuned into KJ and glendale - KJ to see if he could win 2 ME leagues and glendale to see if he could keep the strong hold he had on our league for most of the year.

You know how there are times when live scoring around midnight doesn't always seem to be equal to what the standings read the next morning? To put it mildly, live scoring in this contest could be enhanced just a little bit. One scenario that crossed my mind as this played out last night was that the leader(s) at closing time of live scoring last night would not equal what the final standings depicted this morning. Thank goodness that was not the case here.

Your rise to the top will be something that sticks with me from this league. You started out slowly - very slowly. It was a league filled with some of the finest. Yet you kept your nose to the ground and plugging away. Very, very impressive Andy. I'm sure you will enjoy your 1 and only day on top of our standings!!!

Congrats,

Matt
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:54 am

Great job Andy. Congrats

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 am

Originally posted by Ando:

Andy,

Sat right next to you from the 5-hole on Draft Day in Vegas. What a league filled with some of this event's finest.

I paid close attention even though my team had no stake in terms of cashing. I especially tuned into KJ and glendale - KJ to see if he could win 2 ME leagues and glendale to see if he could keep the strong hold he had on our league for most of the year.

You know how there are times when live scoring around midnight doesn't always seem to be equal to what the standings read the next morning? To put it mildly, live scoring in this contest could be enhanced just a little bit. One scenario that crossed my mind as this played out last night was that the leader(s) at closing time of live scoring last night would not equal what the final standings depicted this morning. Thank goodness that was not the case here.

Your rise to the top will be something that sticks with me from this league. You started out slowly - very slowly. It was a league filled with some of the finest. Yet you kept your nose to the ground and plugging away. Very, very impressive Andy. I'm sure you will enjoy your 1 and only day on top of our standings!!!

Congrats,

Matt Matt,

"Very slowly" is right. What a grind. I left the draft with some guys I liked but too many holes for my own good. I do remember telling Dan early on that with an 8/1 starter/reliever split I felt I could grind out 50 pitching points, with little in the way of saves. But as my WHIP rose I needed to take some stabs in the 'pen to get to 50 points. So I followed your team, specifically what you were doing in your 'pen more than you know. Just trying to jockey ahead of you in Saves. Good Luck next year, Matt!

[ September 29, 2011, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Joe Sambito ]

Dickie V

Post by Dickie V » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 am

Chris, Andy Nice Job Guys. Congratulations on your 2nd M/E Division title. Last time I glanced at your league standings Stevieland was in 4th place I believe. You (guys) Da Man

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:22 am

Originally posted by Dickie V:

Chris, Andy Nice Job Guys. Congratulations on your 2nd M/E Division title. Last time I glanced at your league standings Stevieland was in 4th place I believe. You (guys) Da Man Dickie V,

A big year from the FusterClucks! 21st overall and a league title against some heavyweights! A pat on the back to you as well my friend. A-Gone, Kemp and Ellsbury and you were off and running. Well done.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:46 am

Great play by play Andy, congrats... great to see all your hard work pay off. Here's hoping I miss you in the ME for 2012 too !

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:54 am

I was out celebrating my ten point lead three weeks ago. I finished in second, 13.5 points behind. And I didn't even lose points. It was all Moose and Squirrel going from 105 to 128.5 in a few weeks (and finishing 6th overall in the process). The game changes fast. Just ask the Red Sox.

[ September 29, 2011, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: bjoak ]
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

I was out celebrating my ten point lead three weeks ago. I finished in second, 13.5 points behind. And I didn't even lose points. It was all Moose and Squirrel going from 105 to 128.5 in a few weeks (and finishing 6th overall in the process). The game changes fast. Just ask the Red Sox. Nice year anyhow Brian. KC Cha's glendale team was in a similar position. But for all those grinders out there, it is a nice reminder that it takes all 162 games before you can enjoy your YooHoo shower!

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:07 am

Brian hate that you lost it. As you probably already know I paid a little less attention this year. One thing I did glance at was how you were doing and was happy you were going to get your first title. At least you lost to a nice guy. I know you drafted online but I have drafted with him in person. Brings his little girl to the draft table with him and is a good dude.

I hope marriage is treating you well too.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:24 am

If there is a more consistent player yet to win an NFBC title, I don't know who it is.

That title should come soon for you, Brian.

I'm always rooting for you.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:16 am

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I am trying to just enjoy having had a good season. I am definitely looking at traveling back to Vegas this year. Not sure which weekend but I hope to see you guys. I'm waiting to see how Greg handles the first two games. In any event it would be excellent to hang out in the sports book 2 AM on Thursday night and watch the second game of the season!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:21 am

I was in this league and had a blast on draft day. I was not competitive this year (special thanks to my first three out of picks being out for more 60 days each) but we had an awesome group of owners and it was great to see the race unfold.

I look forward to seeing each of them again next year. Great job to the top teams. Congrats Stevieland.

[ October 02, 2011, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Fourslot40 ]