Dealing With Anonymous Owners In 2012

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:31 am

Last year there was a worthy discussion about owners who were signed up under aliases and their identities weren't revealed until after Draft Day. The discussion centered on fairness for other owners in the league of that draft and then of course in later leagues where these owners may have competed against others without their knowledge. It's a worthy topic and one that Tom and I have dealt with for eight years.

Believe it or not, people have signed up under different names every year since 2004. Some people did it to protect their identity from local leagues, from people within the contest they knew, or mainly because they were doing multiple leagues and didn't want their results published for all to see. There are several people who do this, so don't think this is just one or two people. And their main reason for doing this is to play in multiple NFBC leagues without folks scouting down their draft results before the Main Event. I know that folks are worried about owners knowing THEIR previous draft results, but I've never had anyone tell me they were entering multiple leagues for scouting reasons. They are entering multiple leagues because 1) they think they can win multiple leagues; and 2) they are preparing for the Main Events.

Tom and I have never prevented the aliases or owners signing up under new accounts. We understand that without this option, many people will limit their NFBC leagues to the Main Events. We also know that no other contest lists all of the signups like we do and thus WE ARE AT FAULT in some way because we are revealing every single signup. We chose to do that originally as a way of showing exactly how many signups we have for each contest and it's possible that going forward we could do that with just the counters we are adding to the Registration pages now and not every single name. Look for those counters soon.

Still, it's nice to know who is in each league, so I think the signup lists will continue. However, for the early Slow Drafts and satellite leagues and Online Championships, I think it's not unreasonable to understand why some people don't want their names known when digging for those sleepers. The word gets out in a hurry.

Okay, so how do we handle the issue of aliases and the fact that many veteran NFBC owners want to do multiple leagues without every pick being known to the masses? It's a serious issue and not as easy as choosing black or white. There's a middle ground here that we'll try to reach.

Instead of aliases, I would like to list that spot as ANONYMOUS on the signup lists and everyone will know ahead of time that someone is competing without their name being known. If you don't want to compete in that league or event or time slot because of that, we'll remove you. Or you don't have to sign up for that league knowing someone could be in it anonymously. This allows us to be transparent without preventing some folks from playing in more leagues than they could without this.

Now to be clear: If a person signs up under his own login, he can change the team name but within the league his real name will be on the Owner's List. So it's very possible that someone will be listed as ANONYMOUS on the NFBC Message Boards, but once everyone enters the online draft room the league members will know who he is. If someone signs up under a totally different account, then that's who is listed on the signup page. In that instance, they would be listed as ANONYMOUS on the Message Boards and possibly Joe Smith in the draft room. It's how far the owner wants to take it that decides how they are listed in the online draft room.

This is our plan for 2012 on the NFFC Signup Lists. Everyone will make their choice on whether to play in those specific contests or not on those specific dates as they see fit. I do not believe this has hampered our competition in the past and I don't see it benefitting or hurting anyone going forward. We have more and more people playing more and more contests and for some they are protective of their sleeper picks. For others, they don't mind if others see who they are targeting. Some people do mind, though. And again, I've never heard another owner say they are scouting others. Heck, the biggest concern we had last year was about an anonymous owner who eventually landed in Las Vegas League 4, and that was the league where the overall champion came from, and it wasn't this anonymous owner!! :D Lindy won it all from there.

I'm interested in your feedback and I hope you understand the position from all sides: Ours, the owners who want to remain anonymous, and the owners who don't want to compete with anonymous owners. We hope to satisfy everyone (which I know is impossible). Thanks for understanding our position going forward and good luck all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:23 am

Forget my question, I just re-read the clause I requested clarification on and understand it more clearly.

Thank you Greg for taking this issue seriously and addressing it with a fair solution. I'm very curious to see how signups play out in those leagues with an anonymous player listed.

[ October 04, 2011, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:39 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Forget my question, I just re-read the clause I requested clarification on and understand it more clearly.

Thank you Greg for taking this issue seriously and addressing it with a fair solution. I'm very curious to see how signups play out in those leagues with an anonymous player listed. more so Glenn is how the chat room will work itself out. The anons will most likely be pilloried or ostracized in a way since it will be easy to pinpoint who they are. Should make for some funny exchanges :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:59 am

I'm very curious to see how signups play out in those leagues with an anonymous player listed. Some people might avoid them and others won't care. Again, most of these are for early Slow Drafts and Satellite Leagues where owners are targeting certain players and want to remain unknown, not to scout others but for folks not to scout them. If people want to avoid these leagues because they don't know who one owner is, that's fine. Or as Steve is saying, they will ask them in the league Chat Room on Draft Day and have fun with it. Some folks reveal who they are later anyway. But now we have a little more transparent solution and the players hold the cards again.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:37 am

[ October 13, 2011, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Walla Walla ]

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

Thank you Greg for taking this issue seriously and addressing it with a fair solution. I'm very curious to see how signups play out in those leagues with an anonymous player listed. more so Glenn is how the chat room will work itself out. The anons will most likely be pilloried or ostracized in a way since it will be easy to pinpoint who they are. Should make for some funny exchanges :D
[/QUOTE]Sign me up for ostracizing and pillorying any day! :D Bring on the anons! ;)
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

gigglin marlin

Post by gigglin marlin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Greg,

Not a fan of your decision. IN MY OPINION It appears your are catering to loud message board minority which has been a theme. Your post indicates you are allowing the financial benefit of multiple entries by individuals weigh heavily into your decision. While I respect the need for profit, I do not feel it is in the best interest of true growth in the event.. I feel that both the NFFC/NFBC already have quirky differences from mainstream fantasy games. Thus making it difficult to sell or explain to potential NEW HIGH STAKES CUSTOMERS coming from other / home fantasy games.

Another reason I feel this idea is wrong is more of an emotional or personal view. If someone playing multiple leagues is not a good enough fantasy player to make adjustments to others taking players : They should look down to make sure they still possess their ***** ..(no disrespect Jules or Kimra0..seriously ......Greg I have sat back and read years of posts from whiney owners asking for more and more and more control and now ""ANONYMOUS"" to appease the minority and once again in my opinion hurt YOUR game.

I am aware through your actions over the years that nobody cares more about fantasy sports than you. I appreciate immensely that you dealt with this issue right after the season as you said you would, as always!!!!!!!!!
chris schinker

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:02 am

Originally posted by gigglin marlin:

Greg,

Not a fan of your decision. IN MY OPINION It appears your are catering to loud message board minority which has been a theme. Your post indicates you are allowing the financial benefit of multiple entries by individuals weigh heavily into your decision. While I respect the need for profit, I do not feel it is in the best interest of true growth in the event.. I feel that both the NFFC/NFBC already have quirky differences from mainstream fantasy games. Thus making it difficult to sell or explain to potential NEW HIGH STAKES CUSTOMERS coming from other / home fantasy games.

Another reason I feel this idea is wrong is more of an emotional or personal view. If someone playing multiple leagues is not a good enough fantasy player to make adjustments to others taking players : They should look down to make sure they still possess their ***** ..(no disrespect Jules or Kimra0..seriously ......Greg I have sat back and read years of posts from whiney owners asking for more and more and more control and now ""ANONYMOUS"" to appease the minority and once again in my opinion hurt YOUR game.

I am aware through your actions over the years that nobody cares more about fantasy sports than you. I appreciate immensely that you dealt with this issue right after the season as you said you would, as always!!!!!!!!! I appreciate all feedback and all OPINIONS!! ;)

Yeah, I think this is easy to see in one setting and be mad at EVERYONE doing this if you're a player like yourself and don't mind having your name listed. And I think it's great if you want to call out those owners who do. But honestly, I've dealt with this situation through the last eight years and not every instance is the same.

Yes, some owners don't want their early drafts "scouted". No doubt about it. And several owners have gone with an alias for that reason rather than stay away from that league, not just one or two owners. So if you want to call them out for staying under the radar for this reason, go ahead.

But there are other reasons. These may sound silly to you, but we've had owners say they are remaining anonymous from their local league owners, from their wives, from their employers. Some people don't want their real names listed on our Signup List, so again this is on me for making these names public when not everyone wants them.

One owner emailed me this on Tuesday, stating why he likes to be anonymous: "Although everyone in our community knows that fantasy sports are very different from illegal gambling, many outside the community don't. I am afraid that when I'm googled now, it shows me as a NFBC participant, and that the googler - perhaps a future employer - will have a negative reaction."

So again, we can all have our opinions and that's well and done. Unfortunately, not every situation fits perfectly in that opinion and I'm trying to still be transparent while understanding that not every single owner needs or wants my transparency. I don't think my solution is making it any worse on our game or our current players. I look forward to more opinions and thank all of you for the ones you've provided so far.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:16 am

[ October 13, 2011, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Walla Walla ]

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 am

Thanks for the explanation, Greg. Though I may not agree with some of the reasons, I for one understand. Compared to all the issues that have been resolved in the past and will be resolved in the future, this one on further reflection is minor.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

gigglin marlin

Post by gigglin marlin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 am

Greg,

Thank you for taking the time to read and address my post. While you certainly pacified me on an emotional level I do feel your response somehow missed the big picture concerns mentioned. I'll try it a different way.

!. If it was mandatory for real names and I set the over/under at say 10% who would quit. Would you take the over or under? (I will take way under)

2. Now Let's take the 10% just for fun. So lets say 40 quit more. Assuming you are trying to grow this event to 1000 or more. Do you feel the nfbc would turn off more or less than 40 of the 650 newbees. In this case I will take the over....and you?

3. I totally get that there are many isolated obscure reasons your customers may have but the bulk of the posts for alias nonsense was from a smaill minority. So I will ask this....What is the percentage of the owners that use aliases in the past. I'll set the over under at 5% or maybe 25 owners. I will take the under to the bank...and you???

Lastly rarely post due to my lack of typing skill. The over under would be set at 9 words per minute and I would take the under. Anyway while there have been many options over the years, I believe you are aware that everyone I turn onto fantasy I send your way. While there are many reasons for this they are all encompassed by the simple fact you and the NFBC contest are beyond reproach. No contest can compare. Everything you've done and the decisions you've made reflect those. It just feels wrong to me. It just doesn't feel like this is what we are all about. My grandmother made it easy for me when I was young and clarified decisions for me, while it's not the perfect fit, you'll get my point grandma said " if you have to sneak or hide it's wrong".....

I won't post anymore. I just had to as I feel this is the wrong direction for a contest I love.

Thx c
chris schinker

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 pm

I'll apologize in advance for this stupid question, but what is really the dilemma? I can't wrap my head around any advantage of using an anonymous name. It's a pay to play league and those who choose to play can expect top notch competition regardless of the name. There are no easy leagues. :rolleyes:

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Originally posted by Fourslot40:

I'll apologize in advance for this stupid question, but what is really the dilemma? I can't wrap my head around any advantage of using an anonymous name. It's a pay to play league and those who choose to play can expect top notch competition regardless of the name. There are no easy leagues. :rolleyes: Example- I'm in a $500 satellite with Gekko. We draft our teams and then I get randomly selected to be in the same Main Event as Gekko. I bring his team roster to my main event as a reference. I notice that i really like 3-5 players that he likes including a few sleepers that i really want in the Main Event. I notice he takes Sleeper A in Round 22 in $500 satellite. In the Main Event I jump 3-4 rounds to get Sleeper A.

Of course this type of stuff can backfire but I can understand the Anonymous crowd. Main Event 2009 I was in a league with an owner that had rosters of 2 owners in the league that he also shared a prior satellite. Maybe it's rare but it does happen. I like Greg's decision on how to handle going forward.

PS - Ask yourself this - If you are in a satellite draft 1 week before the Main Event and you find out that Lindy is drafting right near you. You also remember that he just drafted 1 week earlier in a satellite with you. Do you think you may want to look over his team prior to drafting with him in the Main Event. With so much money on the line I would think owners want as much information as possible heading into drafts.

[ October 06, 2011, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Red Sox Nation- ]

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Originally posted by Red Sox Nation-:

quote:Originally posted by Fourslot40:

I'll apologize in advance for this stupid question, but what is really the dilemma? I can't wrap my head around any advantage of using an anonymous name. It's a pay to play league and those who choose to play can expect top notch competition regardless of the name. There are no easy leagues. :rolleyes: Example- I'm in a $500 satellite with Gekko. We draft our teams and then I get randomly selected to be in the same Main Event as Gekko. I bring his team roster to my main event as a reference. I notice that i really like 3-5 players that he likes including a few sleepers that i really want in the Main Event. I notice he takes Sleeper A in Round 22 in $500 satellite. In the Main Event I jump 3-4 rounds to get Sleeper A.

Of course this type of stuff can backfire but I can understand the Anonymous crowd. Main Event 2009 I was in a league with an owner that had rosters of 2 owners in the league that he also shared a prior satellite. Maybe it's rare but it does happen. I like Greg's decision on how to handle going forward.

PS - Ask yourself this - If you are in a satellite draft 1 week before the Main Event and you find out that Lindy is drafting right near you. You also remember that he just drafted 1 week earlier in a satellite with you. Do you think you may want to look over his team prior to drafting with him in the Main Event. With so much money on the line I would think owners want as much information as possible heading into drafts.
[/QUOTE]OK, good point. However, let's turn this around. Lindy & Gekko are in a satellite the week before the Main. Gekko's in the satellite as Frank Kowalski, Lindy's in as himself. Gekko now has access to Lindy's sleepers while Lindy doesn't knowingly have access to Gekko's. Where's the fairness in that?

I noticed in the NFFC this year, Bob Particelli, Chad Schroeder/Nelson Sousa, Glenn Schroter, and Peter Berell were in every single Super, Ulltimate, and Diamond together. I'd bet somewhere around the second or third of these, they all knew each other's fave sleepers. Big deal. They were all on the same playing field. It's part of the game, it's part of high stakes. You adjust.

The reason I'm cool with Greg's solution when I'm so against the practice of aliases is that I believe this to be the first step in a very short road to the elimination of this practice altogether. My first comment when I read Greg's solution is that I'm very curious to see the signup lists for any leagues that include an Anonymous participant. The reason is that I'd bet not too many players will sign up for a league that includes one or more of these players. I know I won't. If I'm already registered in one of these leagues and an Anonymous player signs in, I'll request a switch of leagues. I'd have to believe the majority may react the same. With limited signups with leagues containing Anonymous participants, I'd imagine those leagues may not even go off, meaning the practice dies with those leagues. I may be wrong. Time will tell.

TParsons

Post by TParsons » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:44 pm

How will this be handled for the Main? I assume that teams will have to state prior to leagues being drawn whether or not they are willing to be in a league with an alias?

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 pm

quote:Originally posted by Fourslot40:

[/QUOTE]Ok, I see the point both ways. I really do not see this as big a deal as it's being made out, but I trust Greg's decisions. I'll say this. I drafted in the first main event last year in Vegas Weekend One with a great group of successful owners. The results of all three live drafts that day were posted on Twitter within minutes of completion. The drafts orders of each draft are posted for all to see prior to the draft so you can tell who is drafting what and when. Will anything be done to avoid Week 1 live event results from getting out to avoid benefiting those drafting live in Week 2?

Thanks

[ October 06, 2011, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Fourslot40 ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:12 pm

We do not allow first weekend draft results to be viewed by anyone online. Only those owners in those cities can see the other draft boards. I have no idea who posted pictures of the boards from Las Vegas that day and it DEFINITELY was not the NFBC. If we have to avoid people from taking pictures of the boards afterwards we will, but I hope we don't have to do that. But you are correct, next year I'll be watching the folks who take pictures and making sure everyone knows they can't be posted anywhere. I shouldn't have to do that, but it looks like I will have to.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Everyone knew that the NFBC had nothing to do with that. Besides, that would mean that you would have had to put down your Corona. No way that is happening.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Originally posted by gigglin marlin:

Greg,

Thank you for taking the time to read and address my post. While you certainly pacified me on an emotional level I do feel your response somehow missed the big picture concerns mentioned. I'll try it a different way.

!. If it was mandatory for real names and I set the over/under at say 10% who would quit. Would you take the over or under? (I will take way under)

2. Now Let's take the 10% just for fun. So lets say 40 quit more. Assuming you are trying to grow this event to 1000 or more. Do you feel the nfbc would turn off more or less than 40 of the 650 newbees. In this case I will take the over....and you?

3. I totally get that there are many isolated obscure reasons your customers may have but the bulk of the posts for alias nonsense was from a smaill minority. So I will ask this....What is the percentage of the owners that use aliases in the past. I'll set the over under at 5% or maybe 25 owners. I will take the under to the bank...and you???

Lastly rarely post due to my lack of typing skill. The over under would be set at 9 words per minute and I would take the under. Anyway while there have been many options over the years, I believe you are aware that everyone I turn onto fantasy I send your way. While there are many reasons for this they are all encompassed by the simple fact you and the NFBC contest are beyond reproach. No contest can compare. Everything you've done and the decisions you've made reflect those. It just feels wrong to me. It just doesn't feel like this is what we are all about. My grandmother made it easy for me when I was young and clarified decisions for me, while it's not the perfect fit, you'll get my point grandma said " if you have to sneak or hide it's wrong".....

I won't post anymore. I just had to as I feel this is the wrong direction for a contest I love.

Thx c By my count, at 9 words per minute this post took you 63 minutes. And that's only for the typing part. I know the thinking part took at least that much time!! :D I can't believe you spent two hours doing this!! :D

Chris, you win with the unders in each scenario. That's why this is so crazy. Now, in return, you'll say that to me. Mainly people use aliases in the early satellite leagues. And there might be 5-7 who do it. In the Ultimate or Supers, there might be 1-2 who do it. In the Main Event, there might be 2-3 who did it that first weekend. Nobody does it the second weekend. And going forward, you will see ANONYMOUS in the 2-3 spots that you are most concerned about. If you see ANONYMOUS in an early satellite league, then don't join or move to a date that doesn't have ANONYMOUS in it. Same with the Online Championship, which definitely would have more ANONYMOUS owners. Stay away from those.

It's transparent and you don't have to draft against these people. Anyone who is listed as ANONYMOUS for a live draft will be known on the spot. The ANONYMOUS for the Main Event is usually online and we'll deal with that so that owners who don't want to compete against them won't have to. Everyone can guess who they are and kick their butts.

It's so small of an issue that it could have been summarized in less than 9 words. Under. Under. 25 or more? Are you kidding me?? Nothing like that. A few people. And for the reasons they've given me, I'm willing to back this with the formula I've come up with. And Tom agrees. I'm sure after Draft Day everyone will know who they are and understand which 5-10 people do it and why they do it.

Not a big deal or overused situation. But I guess not knowing that gets a few people worked up. And knowing who did it last year gets people even more worked up. I understand that.

I hope this helped and I expect at least one more post. 9 words per minute?? I'll take the over. ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Originally posted by TParsons:

How will this be handled for the Main? I assume that teams will have to state prior to leagues being drawn whether or not they are willing to be in a league with an alias? There will NOT be any aliases. They will be listed as ANONYMOUS. And I suspect these will only show up for online drafts. Yes, we'll make sure everyone let's us know if they are against being in a league with an ANONYMOUS owner. Hopefully we'll have enough to get these folks in. If not, we'll have to ask this owner to use his/her real name. But sure, we'll make sure everyone knows the situation. It's transparent, there for everyone to see.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Originally posted by Fourslot40:

Everyone knew that the NFBC had nothing to do with that. Besides, that would mean that you would have had to put down your Corona. No way that is happening. Damn right. At the end of the Main Event drafts, I'm happy and too busy enjoying the lime to take pictures!! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:03 pm

OK, good point. However, let's turn this around. Lindy & Gekko are in a satellite the week before the Main. Gekko's in the satellite as Frank Kowalski, Lindy's in as himself. Gekko now has access to Lindy's sleepers while Lindy doesn't knowingly have access to Gekko's. Where's the fairness in that?

sorry glenn, your point is moot because lindy has the option to be anonymous. HE chose not to. that's 100% fair.

as greg mentioned, this is part of the tradeoff of greg publicly announcing every signup.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:19 pm

With so much money on the line I would think owners want as much information as possible heading into drafts. anyone being honest knows the answer to this :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:33 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

OK, good point. However, let's turn this around. Lindy & Gekko are in a satellite the week before the Main. Gekko's in the satellite as Frank Kowalski, Lindy's in as himself. Gekko now has access to Lindy's sleepers while Lindy doesn't knowingly have access to Gekko's. Where's the fairness in that?

sorry glenn, your point is moot because lindy has the option to be anonymous. HE chose not to. that's 100% fair.

as greg mentioned, this is part of the tradeoff of greg publicly announcing every signup.
[/QUOTE]Mark, I'll give you some credit here. You know you're on the minority and unpopular side of this issue, yet you continue to fight for it, openly admitting you use it because you believe in it. Fair enough. We disagree.

I do wonder where the others who like to remain anonymous are while the battle over this issue goes on. I guess they've chosen to remain anonymous here as well.

One more thought on a point that Greg brought up. For those who choose to remain anonymous because they fear getting googled by a potential employer or their wives :rolleyes: , I'm guessing if they win the Main Event we'll have to congratulate the 2nd place finisher. God forbid it get out in public that the anonymous player had won.

[ October 06, 2011, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Money

Post by Money » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:12 am

For me the issue is simple. If you know who I am then I should know who you are. I had 7 NFBC teams last year. I used an alias in none. In fact didn't even know it was an option. I appreciate the NFBC addressing this. In a previous post Greg stated the number of players that do this are very minimal (5-10). I think next year it will grow. I will gladly play in any league next year that has an anonymous as I will enter in the same manner. With the number being that small (out of the thousands who play), why not just do away with it all together?

Simply my opinion and I am satisfied with the new approach.
Joe