All Time Draft Thread

CC's Desperados

All Time Draft Thread

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:22 am

Originally posted by G@mblor:

A couple of points...

There has been a lot of talk about what we would change in the future and about how the top 4 or 5 picks may have an advantage over those picking later. We need to wait and see how this thing plays out. If Its not broke we shouldn't "fix" it and until we have the results we won't know. I realize I am speaking as someone who was fortunate enough to pick at the top of this draft, but even if I picked at the end I would still want to wait for the final standings.

It has been stated that this has become a punting contest and that this is taking some of the enjoyment out of the draft. I agree. In my opinion, the blind rounds are to blame. Without knowing where you stand in relation to your opponents it is difficult to adjust as we move through the draft. A balanced approach is harder to pull off with incomplete information and it's one of the reasons so many teams are punting.

Certainly there may need to be adjustments made to the format if we are gonna give it another go. However, I think we need to wait for the conclusion, especially if the topic is how this draft may be a bit unfair depending on draftslot. Plenty of time for all of that after we have crowned a winner. I agree with your first observation and I don't see a need for 3RR when the draft isn't even complete. There are plenty of edges in this draft and I'm sure we all have made picks or decisions we will regret during the draft. These mistakes are much of the reasons why some of the teams will fail.

I think the blinds rounds have nothing to do with a team punting a category. Some teams went in with a plan and others had to make an adjustment of the fly. The blind round actually help teams hide some of their strategy.

Navel Lint

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:23 am

quote:Originally posted by Suburban Strugglers:

I think that it is a thought if we made the rule that if you finish with 1 point or even 2 points in a category that you could not win, then I do think you would have to get rid of the blind rounds. If you did this its likely that at least 6 or 7 teams would be "eliminated" and if you included a team scoring only 2 points then the majority of teams would not have a chance. Those picking in the last couple of rounds could effectively eliminate other teams. Team A leads with 105 points but is 3rd from last in Hr. Team B picks last and passes him in homeruns, rendering his whole draft meaningless. I am not in favor of this. [/QUOTE]Yet you are against the blinds rounds. Your example explains why they were created in the first place :D
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

G@mblor

All Time Draft Thread

Post by G@mblor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:29 am

Originally posted by Navel Lint:

quote:Originally posted by G@mblor:

quote:Originally posted by Suburban Strugglers:

I think that it is a thought if we made the rule that if you finish with 1 point or even 2 points in a category that you could not win, then I do think you would have to get rid of the blind rounds. If you did this its likely that at least 6 or 7 teams would be "eliminated" and if you included a team scoring only 2 points then the majority of teams would not have a chance. Those picking in the last couple of rounds could effectively eliminate other teams. Team A leads with 105 points but is 3rd from last in Hr. Team B picks last and passes him in homeruns, rendering his whole draft meaningless. I am not in favor of this. [/QUOTE]Yet you are against the blinds rounds. Your example explains why they were created in the first place :D
[/QUOTE]My example is based on a format that is not in play in the current draft. I would not consider my example a form of collusion. If we were using the format that you could not finish with 1 or 2 points and wins it would become a game of trying to not finish last. Eliminating a team by helping them to take last in a category would not be cheating it would be part of the strategy you would have to employ in such a draft.
"I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.” - Ichiro Suzuki

Suburban Strugglers

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Suburban Strugglers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:32 am

You where correct g@mblor, my earlier statement about no blind rounds if you did the one point in a category elimination did not make sense.

My bad I did not think that through.

Navel Lint

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:33 am

Page 100! :D
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

G@mblor

All Time Draft Thread

Post by G@mblor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:37 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

quote:Originally posted by G@mblor:

A couple of points...

There has been a lot of talk about what we would change in the future and about how the top 4 or 5 picks may have an advantage over those picking later. We need to wait and see how this thing plays out. If Its not broke we shouldn't "fix" it and until we have the results we won't know. I realize I am speaking as someone who was fortunate enough to pick at the top of this draft, but even if I picked at the end I would still want to wait for the final standings.

It has been stated that this has become a punting contest and that this is taking some of the enjoyment out of the draft. I agree. In my opinion, the blind rounds are to blame. Without knowing where you stand in relation to your opponents it is difficult to adjust as we move through the draft. A balanced approach is harder to pull off with incomplete information and it's one of the reasons so many teams are punting.

Certainly there may need to be adjustments made to the format if we are gonna give it another go. However, I think we need to wait for the conclusion, especially if the topic is how this draft may be a bit unfair depending on draftslot. Plenty of time for all of that after we have crowned a winner. I agree with your first observation and I don't see a need for 3RR when the draft isn't even complete. There are plenty of edges in this draft and I'm sure we all have made picks or decisions we will regret during the draft. These mistakes are much of the reasons why some of the teams will fail.

I think the blinds rounds have nothing to do with a team punting a category. Some teams went in with a plan and others had to make an adjustment of the fly. The blind round actually help teams hide some of their strategy.
[/QUOTE]Perhaps I did not illustrate my point clearly enough. In a draft such as this with no blind rounds it would be pretty standard to try and be balanced and then adjust to what others are doing. With the blind rounds added it makes it difficult to track where teams stand as they tend to hide big impact pitchers or hitters. A balanced approach is harder because unless you know where you are at how do you adjust properly? Speaking only for myself, I would have considered a more balanced approach if we were playing without the blind rounds. Your point that the blind rounds help a team hide its strategy is true but what many teams are hiding is their punting strategy. This goes to my thought that the blind rounds are encouraging punting.
"I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.” - Ichiro Suzuki

G@mblor

All Time Draft Thread

Post by G@mblor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:38 am

Originally posted by Suburban Strugglers:

You where correct g@mblor, my earlier statement about no blind rounds if you did the one point in a category elimination did not make sense.

My bad I did not think that through. No worries. The truth is that there is probably no format that will make everyone happy.

[ November 08, 2011, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: G@mblor ]

Gekko

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Gekko » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:39 am

if after the draft people don't see a need for 3RR, please give me the 1st pick in the draft. TIA

Navel Lint

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:39 am

Page 100! :D Premature :D
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

G@mblor

All Time Draft Thread

Post by G@mblor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:41 am

Originally posted by Gekko:

if after the draft people don't see a need for 3RR, please give me the 1st pick in the draft. TIA You don't want the pressure of #1. I feel like its embarrassing if Dave and I don't finish top 5, given our premier draft slot.

JohnP

All Time Draft Thread

Post by JohnP » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 am

Pick 18.05 Brian Wilson 2010

Texas Connection

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Texas Connection » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:58 am

Zeke Bonura 1936, .330, 12, 138, 120, 4

Gekko

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Gekko » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:01 am

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

if after the draft people don't see a need for 3RR, please give me the 1st pick in the draft. TIA You don't want the pressure of #1. I feel like its embarrassing if Dave and I don't finish top 5, given our premier draft slot. [/QUOTE]u have a shot for top 5. u do have ruth and were the first of the SP punters to draft a SP (but did u draft the right one) :D

the critical pick was not selecting walsh

[ November 08, 2011, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

CC's Desperados

All Time Draft Thread

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:23 am

if after the draft people don't see a need for 3RR, please give me the 1st pick in the draft. TIA When team 14 wins, I won't see the need for 3RR. I also think team 4 is the clear winner.

[ November 08, 2011, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: CC's Desperados ]

Navel Lint

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Navel Lint » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 am

It’s been pointed out previously, 1930 was a season for offense. I will take the 12th hitter from that season.

I pick 1930 Goose Goslin – OF

HR-37

R-115

RBI-138

SB-17

BA-.308
Russel -Navel Lint

-Reggie Jackson

DOUGHBOYS

All Time Draft Thread

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:26 am

The sales of those magic 8-balls must be through the roof.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

CC's Desperados

All Time Draft Thread

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:29 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

The sales of those magic 8-balls must be through the roof. Survey "Say Yes"

DOUGHBOYS

All Time Draft Thread

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:29 am

It’s been pointed out previously, 1930 was a season for offense. I will take the 12th hitter from that season.

I pick 1930 Goose Goslin – OF

HR-37

R-115

RBI-138

SB-17

BA-.308
I930 would be a top five season wishing I had the Direct tv package for every game.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gekko

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Gekko » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:45 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

if after the draft people don't see a need for 3RR, please give me the 1st pick in the draft. TIA When team 14 wins, I won't see the need for 3RR. I also think team 4 is the clear winner. [/QUOTE]yes, team 14 looks strong. punting BA looks to be the ticket. i'm assuming u could have pick 14 next draft, i get pick 1

CC's Desperados

All Time Draft Thread

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:00 am

quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

if after the draft people don't see a need for 3RR, please give me the 1st pick in the draft. TIA When team 14 wins, I won't see the need for 3RR. I also think team 4 is the clear winner. [/QUOTE]yes, team 14 looks strong. punting BA looks to be the ticket. i'm assuming u could have pick 14 next draft, i get pick 1
[/QUOTE]I'll give it a ride.

Glenneration X

All Time Draft Thread

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 am

I'd be into doing another one of these. However, I agree that we should tweak some of the rules to keep it fresh and interesting. First things first, let's finish this bad boy......

Todd's up, the Fool's on deck, this draft's fool's in the hole.

ToddZ

All Time Draft Thread

Post by ToddZ » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:19 am

Jim Kern 1979

update coming
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

ToddZ

All Time Draft Thread

Post by ToddZ » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 am

Originally posted by :

quote:Originally posted by ToddZ:

Jim Kern 1979

update coming I know this is a beggar being a chooser, but would it be possible to put a list of the blind picks in the updated spreadsheets?
[/QUOTE]For quick access, they are HERE

If you give me an idea how they will help to be added, I can figure out the best manner.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE