Question Of The Week: Who Is Earliest Surprise?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:32 am

In our last Question of the Week (okay month), we asked our NFBC participants who they thought would be the top Rookie of the Year candidate in fantasy baseball. The results were interesting:

Dallas McPherson 164 votes

Jeremy Reed 137

Scott Kazmir 65

Nick Swisher 59

Chris Burke 52

Others 46

Clint Barmes 41

J.D. Closser 38

Thanks to everyone who participated.

This week we've asked who you think has been the biggest and most positive surprise of the early season. The candidates include Pat Burrell, Xavier Nady, Brian Roberts, Eric Hinske, Troy Glaus, Brett Myers and Dontrelle Willis. Please feel free to vote on the home page and provide some other candidates in this thread. It's been a fun first couple of weeks and these early surprises have added to that fun. Good luck everyone.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:14 am

That's an interesting question Greg, but the votes will likely be on the perception or draft status of the player. It is a surprise that Brian Roberts has 4 HR, but not that he is a valuable player to have. Nady probably represents the biggest surprise from your list in terms of roto value, but he has likely been added by now.

But for sheer surprises, how about Chan Ho Park or Pedro Astacio, neither of whom were likely drafted.

[ April 15, 2005, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:05 am

My vote goes to Roberts. At no time in the majors has he given the impression that he could hit four homers in two weeks. That is a season worth for him.

Now, the question is will he be at the head of the list in late September when Greg askes "Who should win the 'Tuffy' award for 2005?"
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Team Herron

Post by Team Herron » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:25 am

Biggest Surprise: My team. Didnt think we would suck this bad.

nydownunder

Post by nydownunder » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:11 am

Positvely:

1) Roberts

2) Nady

3) Lyon

4) Glaus

Negatively:

1) Rolen

2) ARod

3) Pujols

They Told You So:

1) Alou

2) Ordonez

3) D. Roberts
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:04 am

Nady by far wasnt even drafed. number 2 lyon went late on a chance for saves.3 hinske

4 burrell

5 cantu i didnt know alomar retired

6Bedard
EDWARD J GILLIS

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:04 am

I would add:

Chacin: 3 Wins so far

The large number of sucking superstars - amazingly bad start by many first round guys like: Helton 0 Hr, Johnson, 4.74 era, etc.. etc..

Spy

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:46 am

Yeah, Chacin has been solid. I was looking up some other players on the NFBC's average draft position and noticed that Vinny Castilla on average was picked 321st overall. Not a bad 21st round pick. Yeah, they said he couldn't hit as well at RFK Stadium as he did at Coors Field, but as of today he's hitting .320 on the road and 1.000 at home. Can he keep it up? :D Okay, not likely, but still a pretty good bargain so far.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

mrphikapp

Post by mrphikapp » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:08 am

This week we've asked who you think has been the biggest and most positive surprise of the early season. The candidates include Pat Burrell, Xavier Nady, Brian Roberts, Eric Hinske, Troy Glaus, Brett Myers and Dontrelle Willis. Please feel free to vote on the home page and provide some other candidates in this thread. It's been a fun first couple of weeks and these early surprises have added to that fun. Good luck everyone. I woudl certainly add all of the following:

Mark Buehrle - Even though he was drafted reasonably high could anyone really have expected THIS?

Chacin was a great catch and call by another board memeber

Jon Lieber - 3-0 with great numbers

Vinny Castilla - another member pointed him out already

Brady Clark - he was solid when given the chance last year and showed some excellent power, he is leading off but he was largely ignored until VERY late or totally ignored in most drafts and he has 20/20 potential.

Shea Hillenbrand - Yes he has done it before but his power thus far is still a surprise.

Kiko Claero - Showed sparks a couple years back when Izzy went down now he is just flat making hitters look bad, look out Dotel you know the A's don't want that contract for the whole season.

Bruce Chen - Nobody has ever argued that the kid has some great stuff but even Leo couldn't get him to realize that potential now suddenly after bouncing around between what 9 teams in the last 4 years or something he seems to have finally figured something out.

Obviously there are others but come on I am competing here so I am not going to mention everyone e-mail me privately if you want a more extensive list. :)
-DOH-