The FAAB Draft - something new

viper

Post by viper » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:28 am

Reading everything on the likes and dislikes of FAAB, I was wondering about a new draft format. Right now there are essentially two formats - an auction and a straight draft. What about an FAAB-style draft?

Here is how it would work. Each team gets $1000 (or whatever) to build a roster. Teams are numbered in some manner, it really does not matter how. The first team throws out a player’s name. You have 60 seconds to make a single bid on the player. After that time, the bids are shown and the player is assigned. The next team throws out a player. This is essentially a one-bid silent auction. If no one bids on the player, he is assigned for $1 to the team putting out his name. Imagine bidding $100 on Santana and seeing the next highest bid was $50.

Just a thought.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:50 am

That's a fun idea. I may try it out in next years home league...I like it!

I'm guessing making "poker chips" in the amount of 1-60, and each owner having a set. (using the 260 dollars per team set up). The Auction stlye draft begins, and each owner has to hold the amount in their hand, and bring them up to the board. It needs tweaking, but could go faster than all the posturing and bullcrap low bidding that just wastes time in an auction draft.

You'd also get to see how many team owners even were trying for certain players/positions...and make notes. (If they didn't bother to get up and out of their seat to walk up to the board and try a bid...they may not do it on the next, say, closer or whatever position.)

Nice idea!

~Lance

*side note to viper...

I can't help but remember an OLD rap song back in the begining of rap...

"V...The Viper...V...V...The Viper...The only letter in the alphabet that'll bite ya!"

[ April 16, 2005, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

eddiejag

Post by eddiejag » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:49 pm

I LIKE IT ALSO. If the nfbc had this as a fun 650 league like the auctions i would get in if it didnt conflict with another league. THier would be some crazy things going on.
EDWARD J GILLIS

Cellar Dwellers

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:48 pm

I agree as well. Very innovative idea, Viper. I'm up for a 650 league of this as well for next year.

Head 2 Head

Post by Head 2 Head » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:30 am

My home league is 100% auction - half open and half closed (blind). My bid on Jeter was $15 over the second highest. We also have 3 toppers - paying $1 over the highest bid (turned in before the draft) - from your previous seasons teams which can be exercised after bidding ends.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill