Twice-Weekly Roster Moves

Leaderboard Sports

Post by Leaderboard Sports » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:37 am

I think the time has come (2006) for at least Twice-weekly roster moves. The lame excuse of "some of us have lives and can't check our team but once a week" is ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't check their team more than twice a week is wasting their money anyway and we'd be doing them a favor by running them off ;)

Since there will be a minimum number of pitching innings rule next year to thwart those with the no starters strategy, adding a maximum starts limit for those who fear bi-weekly roster moves would allow someone to get an extra start or two shouldn't be a problem.

I think it violates the "spirit of the game" :rolleyes: to only be allowed to manage your team one day a week. To me it is the one weakness of an otherwise outstanding contest.

I would think that if you are a good fantasy manager the more chances you have to manage, the better your chances of winning.

I'm sure there are some who disagree but I'm curious as to their reasons.

[ April 18, 2005, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Leaderboard Sports ]

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:00 pm

OK, I'll bite...

I prefer the weekly format and here's why...

The statement

I would think that if you are a good fantasy manager the more chances you have to manage, the better your chances of winning.

Strongly implies there is a distinguishable level of skill involved with bi-weekly moves. Let's consider the type of moves that will be made.

1. Replacing an injured player

2. Activating pitchers with desirable matchups in favor of pitchers with difficult ones

3. Activating a hitter with four games or in a hitter's park in favor of one with three games or in a pitcher's park.

4. Benching a slumping player in favor of a hot one

My main point is while there is obviously a degree of skill involved to each of these maneuvers, the majority of the reason will be common sense, and not any particular display of acumen one of us has over another. We have the same options available to use once a week. Having that option twice a week mitigates the risk involved with making once week moves. Brandon Webb has 2 starts this week, one in Coors. A lot of people had to decide whether or not to activate him this week. With twice a week moves, the decision is a no-brainer. You sit him early and start him late.

I just don't think this is the type of skill that should be rewarded in a contest of this magnitude.

Instead, I believe the skills that should be rewarded are those pertaining to

1. Best projection of a player's performance

2. Conversion of said performance into a unit of value

3. Amassing as much of said value on one's roster

4. Managing said roster into the maximum amount of rotiserrie points.

Granted, bi weekly moves would be part of number 4, but in my not so humble opinion, that would elevate the importance of number 4 to a level that unfairly diminishes the relevance of numbers 1 through 3.

The good managers have 26 opportunities to prove their worth after the draft--that is plenty.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

mrphikapp

Post by mrphikapp » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:08 pm

Instead, I believe the skills that should be rewarded are those pertaining to

1. Best projection of a player's performance

2. Conversion of said performance into a unit of value

3. Amassing as much of said value on one's roster

4. Managing said roster into the maximum amount of rotiserrie points.

Granted, bi weekly moves would be part of number 4, but in my not so humble opinion, that would elevate the importance of number 4 to a level that unfairly diminishes the relevance of numbers 1 through 3.

While you make a good point here you must take into account that the converse is also true. Part of the draft strategy is to acquire the best set of players on your team which is what #'s 1-3 do. With once a week roster moves your ability to utilize the amassed talent is severely hampered and actually handicaps the value of how well you did items 1-3 on your list. Just foor for thought. :)
-DOH-

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:50 pm

Part of the draft strategy is to acquire the best set of players on your team which is what #'s 1-3 do. With once a week roster moves your ability to utilize the amassed talent is severely hampered and actually handicaps the value of how well you did items 1-3 on your list. Just foor for thought. :)

I totally disagree that it severely hampers anything.

Conceptually, the point makes sense but practically speaking, just what is it you can do twice a week that involves so much skill that you can't do once a week?

The types of moves one is able to do was outlined. There is little skill involved in starting a guy playing a 4-game series in Arlington and sitting a guy with a 3-game set in Safeco. The skill is being able to project how a player will do over 162 games.

The handicap is inferior projections can be masked by being able to ride out streaks.

[ April 18, 2005, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: ToddZ ]
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:59 pm

Actually, bi-weekly moves would be very stupid. That's moves every 2 weeks as opposed to moves every week as it is now.

I think you're all arguing the merits of semi-weekly transactions.

For the record - any system which allows for the swap out of injured players (thereby reducing luck) seems like a better way to do it. On that issue alone I like more flexibility instead of less.

You could get really twisted - allow someone to make midweek moves for a flat fee of $50 FAAB each move.

Dyv

[ April 18, 2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Dyv ]
Just Some Guy

mrphikapp

Post by mrphikapp » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:14 pm

The streaks are part of baseball projections in baseball are different then nearly any other sport as it is the only sport in which your numbers at a specific venue are important or that your numbers against a specific person are important. The SKILL is being able to project players numbers at specific venues, draft based on the 162 game numbers BROKEN out based on how those numbers project different places then determining is it better to start Bobby Abreu at home against the braves or Preston Wilson at home against Arizona? Obviously those are high level players so you would have to go to less refined examples but that would be a tough call giving just the field if I give pitcher matchups to go along with that then you would be able to make a better choice why? Is it because it is a FACT that he WILL do something against a specific pitcher at a specific park? no, it is an assumption based on previous facts a "PROJECTION" that you make saying it is better to play player A in situation A then player B in situation B. Projecting a player for 162 games in full only is a very inefficient way to draft as players like Steve Finley or Andruw Jones who may start cold or may go through prolonged slumps are still extremely valuable if used properly because you can get a .300 plus average out of both of them without even sacrificing many RBI, HR or Runs from them if you pay attention to their matchups and yes, their streaks but the point that you are missing is that Baseball is a game of streaks and that is the point to mastering baseball maximising the positive while limiting the negative numbers as every player no matter how good over 162 games will have the bad games use John Smoltz for your example giving up what 8 runs in 2/3 of an inning then not even giving up 8 runs the entire rest of the season...
-DOH-

Leaderboard Sports

Post by Leaderboard Sports » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:14 pm

Originally posted by Dyv:

Actually, bi-weekly moves would be very stupid. That's moves every 2 weeks as opposed to moves every week as it is now.

I think you're all arguing the merits of semi-weekly transactions.

For the record - any system which allows for the swap out of injured players (thereby reducing luck) seems like a better way to do it. On that issue alone I like more flexibility instead of less.

You could get really twisted - allow someone to make midweek moves for a flat fee of $50 FAAB each move.

Dyv I have no idea what you are talking about Dyv, Where do you get this Bi-Weekly talk?

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:29 pm

LOL
Just Some Guy

nydownunder

Post by nydownunder » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:35 am

I aree with ToddZ.

It definitely takes more skill to make decisions based on a week full of games. And I would also argue that it takes more time to research those decisions than ones that involve twice a week or even daily moves.

In addition, I think you will find more cowards with such a system as it gets later into the season. For example, say Halladay, Bonderman, and Weaver fill my pitching quota by mid-week....why take the chance of Byrd or Robertson getting blown out in Seattle or Chicago? Yeah, that's the smart thing to do, but that's like sitting out the last day of the year because it guarantees you the batting title.
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

nydownunder

Post by nydownunder » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:38 am

....as for your injuries, we have a saying in Australia - "Suck $%&*#".
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!