Biggest names waived

Cellar Dwellers

Biggest names waived

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:22 pm

Pretty surprised to see that Woody Williams was a free agent pick up this week in Vegas 3, what's that all about?? Also Magglio was a free agent in one league.

JAR

Biggest names waived

Post by JAR » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:35 pm

Yea I am in Chi League 4 where Magglio was dropped. I have mixed feelings about that drop.. I can see where the owner wants to free up a bench spot... but at the same time, he can "potentially" be a big impact player when he does return.

newkidintown

Biggest names waived

Post by newkidintown » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:38 pm

magglio ordonez should not be able to be dropped....period. he is too much of an impact player assuming he does come back. Believe me, i want him to come back as much as anyone.

Chest Rockwell

Biggest names waived

Post by Chest Rockwell » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:17 pm

Why would Ordonez be allowed to be dropped?

Cellar Dwellers

Biggest names waived

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:23 pm

Originally posted by JAR:

Yea I am in Chi League 4 where Magglio was dropped. I have mixed feelings about that drop.. I can see where the owner wants to free up a bench spot... but at the same time, he can "potentially" be a big impact player when he does return. JAR-did you put in a bid for Maggs? I am also not sure how I feel about that drop. I really think there's a lot of issues with Magglio that Boras was able to mask to the Tigers. That being said, even if he came back for just half a year, he could have a pretty big impact in your league.

JAR

Biggest names waived

Post by JAR » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:25 pm

Originally posted by Cellar Dwellers:

quote:Originally posted by JAR:

Yea I am in Chi League 4 where Magglio was dropped. I have mixed feelings about that drop.. I can see where the owner wants to free up a bench spot... but at the same time, he can "potentially" be a big impact player when he does return. JAR-did you put in a bid for Maggs? I am also not sure how I feel about that drop. I really think there's a lot of issues with Magglio that Boras was able to mask to the Tigers. That being said, even if he came back for just half a year, he could have a pretty big impact in your league. [/QUOTE]I did not put a bid in for him because I knew I'd have to pay at least 500 to get him.. which would be almost what I have left

Spyhunter

Biggest names waived

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:32 am

We had Oboys dropped Joe Crede - who isn't the 'name' that magglio is, but still quite a surprise. I was able to get him for $278 FAAB.

As for Magglio, I don't think he is 'unbalancing' the guy isn't healthy, has had multiple surgeries, and yet to do anything this year. I have no issue with him being dropped

Spy

King of Queens

Biggest names waived

Post by King of Queens » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:57 am

Greg and Tom, I'm just catching up with the message after a brief hiatus. I, too, am curious as to why Magglio Ordonez was allowed to be waived. Sure, he's out for a month or two, but doesn't he qualify as an impact player? Couldn't that team have waived someone else?

Kevin D

Biggest names waived

Post by Kevin D » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:13 am

What if Nomar gets dropped?? He's more likely than Ordonez not to make it back this year.
"All of Life is part of the Divine"---Ancient Hindu saying

JerseyPaul

Biggest names waived

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:16 am

This is a bizarre thread. You can't require somebody to hold a player on his roster that is contributing ZERO. You can't tell somebody how to manage their team.

The solution, as I and others have said repeatedly, is to have a list of players that, if dropped, are not eligible to be picked up again. Criteria for being on that list? I don't know, not my problem.

Greg has said he'll handle these situations on a case by case basis. Guess that "solution" doesn't prevent controversy because you can't go to a rule and see the answer. I think "case by case" should be re-thought.

There are certain rules, however, that Greg has personal biases about and they are sacred, no matter how many players think there is a better way. This is one.

Another is the football rule that head-to-head leaders should be awarded the league championship even if they aren't the point leader. Many have indicated that if 2 teams split h2h and total points regular season leads, there should be a playoff for the league chamionship. Of course both teams move on to the "finals".

Chest Rockwell

Biggest names waived

Post by Chest Rockwell » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:56 am

My question is this- when the whole Roy Halladay rule was being debated. It was referenced that someone tried to drop Kearns and they intervened last year. Wasn't Kearns injury just about as long ( I honestly don't remember), I think anyone would think an 05 Ordonez is more valuable than an 04 Kearns. One more thing if there answer is we just missed it, lets all act like adults and not wine about it.

Greg Ambrosius

Biggest names waived

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:43 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

Greg and Tom, I'm just catching up with the message after a brief hiatus. I, too, am curious as to why Magglio Ordonez was allowed to be waived. Sure, he's out for a month or two, but doesn't he qualify as an impact player? Couldn't that team have waived someone else? We did not intercede in this case because you're talking about a player who could be out for 2-3 months with an injury. This is not an example of a player in a slump like the Halladay situation in the WCOFB two years ago, this is a decision made by a team owner who needed live bodies now. Yes, we could have forced him to put Ordonez on his reserve roster and that was a decision we considered and then decided against.

Garciaparra is another example to consider. Sure, it looks like he will be out much longer than Ordonez, but he's still an impact player who likely will return at some point this season. Do we force all of his owners to tie up a reserve spot with him? Probably not.

Austin Kearns was cut last year at about the same time when he was hurt and it was considered at that time that we should intercede. We didn't, contrary to what was posted here, and his injuries continued to affect his performance.

Trust me, I understand the delicate balance we need to have when rejecting cuts to keep the overall contest fair. I will get involved if I feel any cut jeopardizes that fairness. Ordonez has the potential to be an impact player, but I didn't reject this move because of the length of time he's going to be sidelined. I also realize that some teams will have some tough decisions to make with their reserve rosters if injuries keep piling up.

We are more likely to intercede later in the year when healthy players are cut for no reason than early in the year when injured players are cut. Hopefully, we won't have to get involved at all.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Biggest names waived

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:46 am

Originally posted by Kevin D:

What if Nomar gets dropped?? He's more likely than Ordonez not to make it back this year. Nomar was dropped in two auction leagues this week and we allowed that even before hearing about his apparent surgery. Again, you're talking about a guy who will be out 2-3 months at the minimum and maybe more. We understand that owners need live bodies now and thus Garciaparra has no positive value now. We likely would have allowed him to be cut in the main league as well and certainly will now that his prognosis for returning in 2005 is so dim.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Biggest names waived

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:54 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:

This is a bizarre thread. You can't require somebody to hold a player on his roster that is contributing ZERO. You can't tell somebody how to manage their team.

The solution, as I and others have said repeatedly, is to have a list of players that, if dropped, are not eligible to be picked up again. Criteria for being on that list? I don't know, not my problem.

Greg has said he'll handle these situations on a case by case basis. Guess that "solution" doesn't prevent controversy because you can't go to a rule and see the answer. I think "case by case" should be re-thought.

There are certain rules, however, that Greg has personal biases about and they are sacred, no matter how many players think there is a better way. This is one.

Another is the football rule that head-to-head leaders should be awarded the league championship even if they aren't the point leader. Many have indicated that if 2 teams split h2h and total points regular season leads, there should be a playoff for the league chamionship. Of course both teams move on to the "finals". JP, there certainly is RISK involved in picking up a player like this as a lot of FAAB money is being tied up until his return. As I've said before, I'm against a set rule being in place that you can't cut certain guys (i.e. any Top 100 pick) because everyone has to manage their roster differently based on injuries, prospects on their reserves, etc. Maybe this will prove me wrong and we'll add that to the 40-man roster rule next year.

No fair bringing up football rules on a baseball forum! :D Yes, I like to reward the H2H champion in our contest and a LOT of NFFC guys agree. You and Gordon are just the loudest on the Message Boards and thus you think you're in the majority on that one, but I don't believe you are. So the rule stays! :D

Trust me, I am a flexible man. Just not on those two points!
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Biggest names waived

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:56 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

My question is this- when the whole Roy Halladay rule was being debated. It was referenced that someone tried to drop Kearns and they intervened last year. Wasn't Kearns injury just about as long ( I honestly don't remember), I think anyone would think an 05 Ordonez is more valuable than an 04 Kearns. One more thing if there answer is we just missed it, lets all act like adults and not wine about it. Kearns was cut at about this time last year in several leagues and we allowed it. He went for big bucks and never really produced when he came back.

[ April 26, 2005, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Chest Rockwell

Biggest names waived

Post by Chest Rockwell » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:13 am

I misread the Kearns post, hopefully the fact that we named our team after you makes us even.