Luck - Early Version

Edwards Kings

Luck - Early Version

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:26 am

In some earlier topics, some wise and gifted Fantasy Baseball connoisseurs took exception to the concept of "luck" in relation to how well a team would do. The well-taken point was you generally make your own luck. Well, I drafted with my own (mis)concieved strategy and, though I am in the midst of an early season doldrum, I still think my team can be a player. It is early.

However, I am certainly having bad luck. I offer for example D. Lowe, whom I coveted highly, and J. Lieber, whom I intended to avoid for a number of reasons (home ballpark, etc.). Let's compare their first four starts. Both are having excellent early seasons. Lowe through first four starts had a 1.27 ERA with 17 k's and a 0.988 WHIP. Lieber had 2.73 ERA with 10 k's and a 1.079 WHIP. As a whole, the Dodgers have scored 109 runs with a team BA of .282 with 24 dingers and 64 total extra base hits. Philly has only a .253 team BA with 15 HRs and only 48 extra base hits. In general, the Dodgers are supporting their pitchers much better.

So where is my bad luck? Lowe has only 1 win and Lieber has 4. As all you experts out there know, a few wins here and there can make the difference in leagues that will be as tight as NFBC is. I guess I am crying in my beer over lost opportunity. :mad:

Anybody else want to chime in with a sob story?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

nydownunder

Luck - Early Version

Post by nydownunder » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:12 am

I guess this is a 'winge' of some sort.

I'd like to know who has been the greatest beneficiary of their own closers blown saves - as in the subsequent cheap win. Who has the most?

Oh, the emotions of seeing a closer blow a save for some team in your league, only to see them still pick up the win. GEESH!
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!