Brandon Lyon dropped in my league

God Our Team Sucks

Post by God Our Team Sucks » Sun May 08, 2005 12:38 pm

This is something I don't understand, esp as it was done by the team deep in last place, is in first place in saves, but not by a heck of a lot.

Should commish take a second look? Granted the team picked up OF Ryan Langerhans after his big game, but they had players like Nick Swisher, Casey Kotchman, and Adrian Gonzalez on their team. It's not like they didn't have a player to drop.

Perhaps this is a "mistake", as sometimes happens in ESPN.... Any chance commish would allow them to drop another player?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun May 08, 2005 12:48 pm

that one is pretty puzzling since Adrian Gonzalez is dead weight. maybe 11 saves isn't good enough. heck that leads the majors!!

maybe he's trying to help his buddy...

maybe he's trying to create some friction...

maybe he doesn't know what he's doing...

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun May 08, 2005 1:31 pm

Absolutely needs to be blocked by the commish. There's no sane reason to drop Lyon for any team at this point of the season.

Sure, Lyon has performed over his head but if he drops 30 more saves and he's the difference maker for big bucks then this contest falls apart.

Greg will take care of it - I'm confident of that.

Dave
Just Some Guy

Big Al's Cuz

Post by Big Al's Cuz » Sun May 08, 2005 3:21 pm

I'm in this league. I don't think this is right and my team really needs a closer. When will the commish take action on this transaction? It should be immediate, right?

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Sun May 08, 2005 3:43 pm

Originally posted by Big Al's Cuz:

I'm in this league. I don't think this is right and my team really needs a closer. When will the commish take action on this transaction? It should be immediate, right? Greg & Tom will make a decision quickly I'm sure.

Dave
Just Some Guy

Cellar Dwellers

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sun May 08, 2005 4:04 pm

The only way Brandon Lyon should be allowed to be dropped is; if the team that dropped him was in 2nd or 3rd place overall in his league, has an insurmountable lead in saves, the team/s ahead of him overall in his league are just about out of FAAB money, and those team/s are vulnerable in the saves category and could get jumped in saves by another team in his league getting Lyon. Only under ALL those conditions would I think that this would be a legitimate move. My two cents.

Evil Empire

Post by Evil Empire » Sun May 08, 2005 11:35 pm

I'm in this league. I don't think this is right and my team really needs a closer. When will the commish take action on this transaction? It should be immediate, right? If you really need a closer you should be happy. Place a bid instead of whining about it.

MGBMARTY

Post by MGBMARTY » Sun May 08, 2005 11:58 pm

I too am in NY #5 and feel Lyon drop should be voided Our league is #2 overall and this to me messes up that competitiveness of our league as well as total picture If he was self serving I would say your loss one of the competitive teams in NY#5's gain If its not voided the bid on him will dent someones budget not mine it was dented enougfh for Herges lol

viper

Post by viper » Mon May 09, 2005 1:07 am

with five weeks to go, this could make sense but not with five MONTHS to go

PittIsIt95

Post by PittIsIt95 » Mon May 09, 2005 1:17 am

Am I going to be slapped on the wrist for cutting Rondell White this week??

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Mon May 09, 2005 2:02 am

Originally posted by G.C.A.:

quote: I'm in this league. I don't think this is right and my team really needs a closer. When will the commish take action on this transaction? It should be immediate, right? If you really need a closer you should be happy. Place a bid instead of whining about it. [/QUOTE]You say whining, I say I applaud you for showing the guts to say it is wrong even though it would help you. Just ignore GCA I did after he predicted David Wright would be a total bust this year.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 09, 2005 2:33 am

This move already is being worked on as the owner had no intention of cutting Lyons. He e-mailed STATS immediately after to state he made a mistake on his list of cuts and wanted to change that. We will honor the request he e-mailed STATS and myself last night and correct his cut today. He did get Langerhans and will keep him, but there will be a cut other than Lyon in this league. This will be handled this morning.

For the record, he meant to cut Dan Meyer, which will be processed now.

[ May 09, 2005, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon May 09, 2005 2:39 am

No question...dropping Lyon is wrong and not in the best interest of the league. Must be a mistake.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Mon May 09, 2005 2:45 pm

Greg, Lousy call on that one. Its not that easy to drop the wrong guy. Stats has it set up that you have to review the move before selecting it. I think he was in such a rush trying to grab a player he screwed up. He should have to live with it. He gets one or the other not both.

Evil Empire

Post by Evil Empire » Mon May 09, 2005 2:51 pm

I agree with Walla Walla. He should not get anyone. He should also be banned from this weeks FAAB. :eek:

triple a

Post by triple a » Mon May 09, 2005 4:29 pm

laroche was dropped in my league. ny 1 2 weeks ago. i think thats worse. the guy is going to finish with 100rbi's while lyon can lose his job if he has just a couple of bad outings.

this is another reason why free agents from worst to first each week is better. If a team makes a bad move by dropping a good player, the teams on the bottom would get him and no harm done to the integrity of the league, especially during the later stages of the season. It would decrease the possibility of someone dropping a player so a top team can pick him up. not saying that this is what happened, i am just saying it can. its tough to determine whats a worse drop from league to league! triple a
Triple A

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon May 09, 2005 5:08 pm

Originally posted by G.C.A.:

I agree with Walla Walla. He should not get anyone. He should also be banned from this weeks FAAB. :eek: Perhaps a flogging is in order.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon May 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Maybe we get Greg and Tom to "take him out back."

Plymouth

Post by Plymouth » Tue May 10, 2005 1:10 am

You guys are pretty harsh, so he dropped a player by mistake. Big deal. He e-mailed right away to state his error. You guys want a pint of blood or what? Ease up and have some fun.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 10, 2005 2:27 am

Originally posted by Walla Walla:

Greg, Lousy call on that one. Its not that easy to drop the wrong guy. Stats has it set up that you have to review the move before selecting it. I think he was in such a rush trying to grab a player he screwed up. He should have to live with it. He gets one or the other not both. Well John, I make a lot of bad decisions in life and in this job, but I feel good about this one. Yes, he rushed at the deadline to cut Dan Meyer and hit Brandon Lyon instead and e-mailed me and STATS immediately to state who he wanted to cut. Had I not been taking my wife out to dinner for Mother's Day that night, I would have been in the office and made the move myself before it went through. But I was being a good boy at home instead and didn't catch this e-mail until this thread had taken off. My fault.

He's living with the move he wanted, which is cutting Dan Meyer, not Brandon Lyon. Had he not e-mailed me, yes he would have to live with that unfortunate cut, no question about it. But he had followup correspondence immediately, so let's give this a rest. Everything was done properly. If there was any mistake it was mine for not working on Mother's Day during the FAAB deadline.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 10, 2005 2:28 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:

Maybe we get Greg and Tom to "take him out back." Sorry Glenn, Tom and I are delicate souls. We hate violence! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius